• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp/streamer for KEF R5/7

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ha HA... "sometimes the only thing standing between me and a vociferous emotional outburst leading to unemployment is breathing deep and turning to look at the river peacefully flowing through my backyard" - this resonates more than you know. My office has large windows too. I have yet to complete my office so no system in it (yet).

I am sitting ~10 ft from the speakers. I feel like I haven't had to push them at all and they are plenty loud and room filling. So, I feel like there is plenty of headroom. What would more wattage provide for me? I definitely do not need them to get any louder.

Thanks.

Good question, it comes up a lot. Kef recommends, strangely, to buy an amp that has the ax power rating + 10%. For the R7, that'd be 275W at 8ohm. Now that's a blanket recommendation - they don't know if you're watching movies, listening to organ music, have sub(s), etc. I say strange because why don't they just recommend 275W in the first place...

At 10ft, I would guess 100W is enough for most music depending on how loud you listen. It will certainly be enough once you get a sub and crossover the R7. If you like action movies, it may struggle. As to whether that struggle will be audible to you is anyone's guess. More power is often the actual reason behind peoples subjective claims of "improved dynamics" rather than whatever mystical purity they may be imagining which is now flowing through their speaker cable when they upgrade. Simply put, more power provides more headroom for peaks in your content.

My comment re: the "Marantz tax" is simply around their business model. As consumer we now have quite a bit of information showing Marantz is objectively inferior to it's sister company Denon, even moreso to newer class D and GaN technology, when viewed $ for $. it may color the sound a bit (probably not), and that's OK if that's what you're into. But I think the whole "tuned by golden ears" thing is just marketing capitalizing on nostalgia. It would not be difficult to assemble objectively superior separates for 1/2 the price, or even no-fuss off the shelf for 2/3 of the price.

Again, If you like it and you're confident it meets your listening needs there's nothing wrong with it. Although I know I could buy far better, I still have a M6PRX that you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands. I have no explanation, I just really like it even though I suspect it's quite inferior compared to the newer "wire with gain" technology out there. No measurements available for me to compare but when the company offers only specs like "THD .007 at average listening.levels" you can be confident the bench tests aren't pretty. but, I already own it and am fully aware there's more important places to put my budget (room treatment/correction).

Last edited:

Bubbles&Bass

Ignorance is bliss.... more you know, less you do. I am going to do my best to tip toe around that line. Otherwise, this hobby will not be sustainable for me.

Ironically, I'm making this comment on the heels of purchasing the ddrc-24. So, I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about...

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ignorance is bliss.... more you know, less you do. I am going to do my best to tip toe around that line. Otherwise, this hobby will not be sustainable for me.

Ironically, I'm making this comment on the heels of purchasing the ddrc-24. So, I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about...

Completely agree, easy to get wrapped up in analysis paralysis in this hobby. The DDRC + UMIK will be a game changer for you, although it'll take a bit of patience it's the right choice. Enjoy!!!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Thanks for your input on the minidsp - I’ll most likely go this route. I really hope this helps.

My Kefs are being powered by the Marantz Model 30. I have had them for about a month now. I am enjoying the combination but I know there is room for improvement. There seems to be an echo / hollowness from the speakers (if that makes sense). This hollowness has become more evident as of late. I’m certain room treatments could help solve this. I know this is true because, well, once we took down all of our Christmas decorations and tree… voila, the problem
appeared.
Aesthetics are important so proper sound panels are not really doable. I am hopeful adding window treatments and maybe a few more art pieces on the surrounding walls will help… somewhat recent move in.

What’s a little discouraging is that I did some a/b testing today with the R7s against my Q350s. I have to say I almost liked my 350s more. Admittedly, the cards were in the 350s favor (optimal room+sub). I know objectively, the 7s are far superior speakers to the 350s... right?! I suppose I was more shocked on what an ideal room and subwoofer can do to a system. The sub is the SVS pb-1000. Ok, maybe I’m not discouraged but let’s say, more motivated to get my 7s tuned in.

If I was to either go with Dirac or a sub, in your opinion - which option do you think would improve my system more?

I have attached some pictures. Ideally I would place the sub next to the right speaker in that corner. So, a smaller footprint sub is needed. Yes, I know the speaker is not level. The damn floors are wonky.

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts.

You should try to use room correction anyway, a floorstanding like KEF R7 needs room EQ or acoustic treatment
My kef r7 change a lot using room EQ, mids become more clean and clear, the mids changed a lot for example

pd: The marantz it's 100w@8ohm but 200w@4ohm, you needs the power for these woofers not for the uniq, 200w@4ohm it's ok

Congratz with your setup, the r7 and that marantz it's fine. But please use the UMIK for room EQ

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Thanks for your input. The EQ is ordered and on its way! I’m looking forward to the improvements.

What are you using to drive your 7s?
Purifi eigentakt power amp :)
The EQ is a good thing

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Impressive! Are you only using EQ or do you also have physical room treatments?

Only EQ, i got so much in-room enhancement between 200-400 hz and the sounds become more hollow, congested, diffuse.. less clean/clear

Mid and bass improve a lot with in room EQ

Last edited:
Top Bottom