• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp rec's for newly acquired Monitor Audio GR60's

TwinDad

Hi all,

Just getting back into 2 channel music & recently acquired a pair of Monitor Audio GR60's (For $250 !) in great shape except for a semi-fixed dent on one tweeter (can't really hear it, but may swap it out anyway at some point). Now I'm on the hunt for a good used amp to run them. I'm currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX. However, the 2nd zone (& bi-amping) speaker posts got bent in a move & no longer work. I'd like to bi-amp these (they can be tri-amped).

I have seen several older amps in my area being sold for semi-reasonable prices, but not sure if they are to old to still sound great.

some of the ones I see are:
PROCEED FROM MARK LEVINSON AMP2 - $650 (a bit expensive for me right now)
Vintage DBX BX-3 Amplifier & CX-3 Preamplifier - $650
Sonographe SC-1 / Sonographe SA-120 - $625 (said he would sell the SA-120 for $300)
Adcom GFA-555 350w at 4ohm 2 channel power amp = $450
Adcom GTP-500 Tuner Preamp and Adcom GFA-535 Amplifier - $300
VSP Labs trans mos gold edition 2 channel power amp 300+ watt @ 4ohm = $400
Nikko Alpha 450 Vintage Amplifier - $250
Yamaha m-45 natural sound 2 channel power amp with bi amp abilities recently recapped - no price

I'm kind of only looking for an amp & not a older pre-amp as I need a DAC in my pre-amp & thinking of just using my Pioneer Elite as one. One problem I may have with this setup is how to bi-amp the speakers using the pre-outs of the Pioneer in Stereo/Direct mode (which supposedly does not use all the other uneeded circuitry of the surround/video processor).

Any help/advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Top Bottom