• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendations

imackify

I have a Naim UnitiQute2 and Naim NAP 100 in my living room powering Dynaudio Focus 260s.

In my office I have a headphone dac/amp using usb to my computer. I was thinking of moving the NAP 100 to the office and using my currently unused Focus 160 bookshelves with it in the office, using the headphone dac/amp as preamp.

What I would like is recommendations for an amp to power the 260s in the living room (still using the UnitiQute2 as source/preamp).
Preferably under 1k CAD.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
OP
I

imackify

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the pre-amp output is indeed as low as the spec says, OP will need something with higher gain (higher sensitivity) than a standard Hypex amp.

UnitiQute2.png

OP
I

imackify

If the pre-amp output is indeed as low as the spec says, OP will need something with higher gain (higher sensitivity) than a standard Hypex amp.

View attachment 182944
I was actually wondering about that. I even emailed Schiit about their Vidar and its 27db gain to ask if it would play nice with the low preamp output...the response was that the Vidar would be fine. But as I don't really understand all that, I'm not 100%.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAP-100, per spec, has a gain of 29 dB (= 28 x), and will be driven to full power (50 W at 8 Ω) with 0.7 V input. Does the NAP-100 has sufficient power for you, or are you contemplating for more power?

For the Vidar, with a 0.775 V input, it can output only 38 W at 8 Ω, quite a bit short of its 100 W rating.

OP
I

imackify

The NAP-100, per spec, has a gain of 29 dB (= 28 x), and will be driven to full power (50 W at 8 Ω) with 0.7 V input. Does the NAP-100 has sufficient power for you, or are you contemplating for more power?

For the Vidar, with a 0.775 V input, it can output only 38 W at 8 Ω, quite a bit short of its 100 W rating.
I've been wanting to try something more powerful for the living room. The speakers are 87 db, and I feel like while the NAP is great most of the time, more power might help.

If the preamp out ends up making the decision too difficult, I'm not totally against changing it as well. But then I'd have to factor in a streamer as well.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this is any good, or if anyone makes a good one. To boost the preamp level.

OP
I

imackify

I wonder if this is any good, or if anyone makes a good one. To boost the preamp level.
I'm hoping this wouldn't be my only solution, yet every amp I've looked at seems to have gain lower than 29db.

Another option would be to just replace it entirely. Maybe get a NAD M10. Its got Ncore amplification...so better than the 368/388 which use UcD by Hypex right?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hoping this wouldn't be my only solution, yet every amp I've looked at seems to have gain lower than 29db.

Another option would be to just replace it entirely. Maybe get a NAD M10. Its got Ncore amplification...so better than the 368/388 which use UcD by Hypex right?
Or a lot of traditional integrated amps will have more gain if you like the UnitiQute2. I have a miniDSP 2x4 with 0.9V output and I use an old NAD C370 with it, and just keep the volume knob all the way up (I use Bluesound Node's digital volume control, into the miniDSP).

OP
I

imackify

Or a lot of traditional integrated amps will have more gain if you like the UnitiQute2. I have a miniDSP 2x4 with 0.9V output and I use an old NAD C370 with it, and just keep the volume knob all the way up (I use Bluesound Node's digital volume control, into the miniDSP).
I like the functionality of the UnitiQute2. I've had it a long time and got it because of its streaming capabilities before that really became mainstream afaik. But I know BlueOS is really good so dont mind changing it up. I was looking at some second hand NAD 368/388. If i can find a second hand M10 though I like the size.

I'd like to keep the streaming available in the living room because thats where my wife and kids listen to their music, so i have to keep access to spotify there for them.

There is a second hand NAD M22, it has the 29db gain. Looks like most options will set me back more than I hoped.

Or Emotiva BasX A2...could be an option?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a shame that the output level of your UnitiQute2 doesn't match the input sensitivities of the high performance but low gain power amps. The amps based on the Hypex NC MP series modules, for example Buckeyes, are not only completely transparent, but also provide plenty of power at very reasonable prices.

I'm thinking, if you are happy with the functionality of your UnitiQute2, you can turn it into a streamer. My proposal is to get a MiniDSP Flex (the balanced in/out version), feed it with the digital out from the UnitiQute2, and drive a Buckeye to power your Focus 260s. With the MiniDSP you can have room EQ and, if you desire, bass management with additional subs. It will be less than half the cost of a NAD M10 (which also use a Hypex MC252MP power amp module). It won't be as nice to use as the M10 (you will need 1 remote to select sources for the UnitiQute2, and another remote to adjust volume for the MiniDSP), but will be sonically equivalent.

OP
I

imackify

It is a shame that the output level of your UnitiQute2 doesn't match the input sensitivities of the high performance but low gain power amps. The amps based on the Hypex NC MP series modules, for example Buckeyes, are not only completely transparent, but also provide plenty of power at very reasonable prices.

I'm thinking, if you are happy with the functionality of your UnitiQute2, you can turn it into a streamer. My proposal is to get a MiniDSP Flex (the balanced in/out version), feed it with the digital out from the UnitiQute2, and drive a Buckeye to power your Focus 260s. With the MiniDSP you can have room EQ and, if you desire, bass management with additional subs. It will be less than half the cost of a NAD M10 (which also use a Hypex MC252MP power amp module). It won't be as nice to use as the M10 (you will need 1 remote to select sources for the UnitiQute2, and another remote to adjust volume for the MiniDSP), but will be sonically equivalent.
OH I see...use the BNC to RCA adapter on the digital out to the coax on the MinisDSP. Ya that can work! Using 2 remotes isn't the end of the world.

That could work. And then I'd finally have access to room EQ like you mentioned. Good ideas. (I didn't really want an emotiva :p )

Top Bottom