• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendation to connect to TV and phone

kona

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am looking for some advice, I hope this is the right place.

I am looking to get a pair of loudspeakers and an amplifier. The sources will be my TV (which can output HDMI eARC and optical) and my phone where I have all my music - I can connect it with USB or Bluetooth or maybe it is also possible to stream over Wifi? In terms of loudspeakers I am looking to get a pair of bookshelves like KEF R3 or something similar. I am planning to try out a few different ones to see which ones sound better to me. Just thought to mention those so you know my amplification requirements.

In terms of amps I see the following options:
1. Some sort of AV receiver as they all have eARC which is quite convenient as I can control the volume from the TV. The drawback is that since I will only be using 2 channels out of the 5+ that they have, I would not be making the most out of it. So I assume that for the same money I get better quality with just a stereo amp. Also they are quite bulky, I assume due to all the amplifiers they have inside, which I don't like.

2. Probably better would be a stereo amp/DAC. However the selection seems to be a bit limited, these are the ones I found:
a. TEAC AI-303 - this has all the connections I need (HDMI eARC, Bluetooth, USB, Wifi). Also has a sub out in case I add one in the future. However power output seems a bit low at 25W @ 8 Ohm.
b. Pioneer SX-S30 - HDMI (not eARC though) and Bluetooth but no USB. Power is 85W @ 4 Ohm, they don't specify 8 Ohm.
c. NAD C 389 - HDMI eARC & Bluetooth but no USB. Plenty of power with 135W @ 8 Ohm.

3. Another option would be to get a power amplifier and a separate DAC/preamp. So something like a Topping DX5 could get the optical output from my TV, or Bluetooth/USB from my phone, and act as a preamp to an LA90. The benefit is that this can also act as good headphone amp. The drawback is there is no HDMI input, so I lose the convenience of controlling the volume from the TV remote.

What do you think? Do you have any specific recommendations, or any options/configurations I may have missed?

Budget is similar to the options above. I think the most expensive one is the NAD C 389 at around $1500.

Last edited:
Top Bottom