• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendation needed, max 28cm depth

niesfisch

hi all,

my name is marcel and i am from germany. i really like the amp reviews that amir and the other members are doing. the objective measurements without all the voodoo surrounding the hifi scene. currently i am looking for a new stereo setup for my living room. i am running a rasperry pi + hifiberry dac + volumio. i do not have a lot of space for the amplifier, around 28cm depth is possible on my board. i already browsed the internet, read a lot of reviews (i know you can't trust them ;-)) ... i was also looking into the "Nubert nuConnect ampX Streaming Amp". in germany "nubert" is a well regarded/respected brand, but i was shocked about amirs measurements of the unit which is why i am posting here now in hope to get some amp recommendations.

this is what i want/need:

- speakers are around 89db (focal aria 906)
- stereo is enough
- analog in needed (for raspi + dac)
- spdif would be nice (toslink/coax)
- no fancy stuff needed (streaming etc., but ok if present)
- sufficient watts to drive the speakers (i assume class d because of the size?)
- max 28cm depth (that leaves some room for cables etc.)
- budget: max 1000 dollars/euro

here is a list of amps that i already found and would "fit the space" (depth wise)

- iotavx sa3
- yamaha wxa 50 (which is on amirs recommended list)

any help highly appreciated

greetings from hamburg
marcel

ps: do you have some recommended reads on how the read/interpret amirs measurements/charts (curious to lear something)

HemiRick

Behringer nx3000 is only about 9 inches {2.54x9=less than 23 cm} deep.

OP
N

niesfisch

wje

Forum Donor
i will have a look at this one. thank you.

If you opt for the NX3000 amp, replace the factory fan with a quieter one. 80mm computer fans, 5V power requirement, is what you should focus on. Behringer uses NMB fans (or, they did in my NX6000D amp) and I could hear them from 3 meters away. I replaced them with 22dB fans, and can't hear them running when I'm less than a foot away from the amplifier.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or look at one of the Crown XLS amps like the 1002 or 1502. Their fans are very quiet.

bYOndo

thanks all for your recommendations. i decided to go for the yamaha wxc-50 preamp + xtz edge power amp. quite happy so far :)
Glad you found the right "alchemy" for you. One question: it's there any particular reason why you chose that Yamaha pre?

Massimo

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hi all,

my name is marcel and i am from germany. i really like the amp reviews that amir and the other members are doing. the objective measurements without all the voodoo surrounding the hifi scene. currently i am looking for a new stereo setup for my living room. i am running a rasperry pi + hifiberry dac + volumio. i do not have a lot of space for the amplifier, around 28cm depth is possible on my board. i already browsed the internet, read a lot of reviews (i know you can't trust them ;-)) ... i was also looking into the "Nubert nuConnect ampX Streaming Amp". in germany "nubert" is a well regarded/respected brand, but i was shocked about amirs measurements of the unit which is why i am posting here now in hope to get some amp recommendations.

this is what i want/need:

- speakers are around 89db (focal aria 906)
- stereo is enough
- analog in needed (for raspi + dac)
- spdif would be nice (toslink/coax)
- no fancy stuff needed (streaming etc., but ok if present)
- sufficient watts to drive the speakers (i assume class d because of the size?)
- max 28cm depth (that leaves some room for cables etc.)
- budget: max 1000 dollars/euro

here is a list of amps that i already found and would "fit the space" (depth wise)

- iotavx sa3
- yamaha wxa 50 (which is on amirs recommended list)

any help highly appreciated

greetings from hamburg
marcel

ps: do you have some recommended reads on how the read/interpret amirs measurements/charts (curious to lear something)

I think the Apollon 1200AS (890,00€) would fit in nicely there. Just ask Tibor for the small enclosure just like this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/apollon-as1200-review-and-teardown.9373/

OP
N

niesfisch

it's there any particular reason why you chose that Yamaha pre?

i was reading about various options. first i ordered the yamaha wxa-50 which is also on amirs recommendation list (see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/page-7#post-337443). i thought i needed a bit more power to get more headroom, so i sent it back and got the preamp version (wxc-50) because the rest should perform similar to the tested integrated amp (including the ESS DAC, streaming flac from my nas, radio and spotify/tidal). i paired it with the xtz edge poweramp. all in all a nice little combo that fits on my "small" lowboard and has enough power to drive my focal aria 906 bookshelf speakers. any particular thing you want to know? in the near future i also want to hook up my little raspberry + hifiberry dac ... not enough times at the moment ... the kids :)

Unclevanya

How efficient are those focals? I'm using the wxa-50 on 6ohm 90db floor-standing speakers in a 16x14 ish room. Plenty of power for me, but my requirements for volume have dropped since I was younger... Lol.

The musiccast streaming system is very reliable and easy to use. I'm happy to hear about your approach which might fit my needs on another system where the speakers are less efficient.

Top Bottom