• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendation for Maggie 3.7i, opinions welcomed

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Classe amps of yore were very good with Maggies. Basic big heavy high current amp. Very slightly dark sounding. Anecdotally better than the B&K amps of the time at least according to me and my friends opinions.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Internet blogging wasn’t as popular then to archive and be found by Googling. Nor did anyone have their smartphones to tweet and post Instagrams but that doesn’t make them any less credible for those that were there.

It is futile to go down this road here anyway.

My bottom line: Audition widely and buy the one that sounds best to you not swayed by specs or flat lines. If you have a problem with that, then so be it.
Maybe it was the high distortion and asymmetrical waveforms everyone liked about the B&K on a 4 ohm speaker like the Maggies.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bk-st-140-power-amplifier-1989-measurements

Willem

Major Contributor
Why are we seeing more and more subjective and unscientific babble and expressed quite aggressively? The position that 'my opinion is my opinion and yours is just another opinion' is not one that has advanced any science.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are we seeing more and more subjective and unscientific babble and expressed quite aggressively? The position that 'my opinion is my opinion and yours is just another opinion' is not one that has advanced any science.
This plus 1000.

I started to report your post. Not negatively, but to get it commended.

audimus

The Classe amps of yore were very good with Maggies. Basic big heavy high current amp. Very slightly dark sounding. Anecdotally better than the B&K amps of the time at least according to me and my friends opinions.

Possible. They were above the pay grade of my circle at the time. B&Ks were popular because they were very affordably priced at that time. Adcoms rated slightly below that followed by NAD.

At a higher price range, I had heard good things about the Forte Nelson Pass amps in connection with the Maggies. But no listening experience.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Agree. The signal-to-noise ratio of this forum just keeps declining.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Possible. They were above the pay grade of my circle at the time. B&Ks were popular because they were very affordably priced at that time. Adcoms rated slightly below that followed by NAD.

At a higher price range, I had heard good things about the Forte Nelson Pass amps in connection with the Maggies. But no listening experience.
I've heard the Forte's even on Maggies. I thought it not one of Mr. Pass's better designs. Not equal to the Stasis Nak's or Thresholds from which the Naks were copied. And for true terror try the Aleph 3 on Maggies. The horror. Aleph 3's were pretty good on some Quad ESL63s however. All about the current.

Audiocrusader

I've heard the Forte's even on Maggies. I thought it not one of Mr. Pass's better designs. Not equal to the Stasis Nak's or Thresholds from which the Naks were copied. And for true terror try the Aleph 3 on Maggies. The horror. Aleph 3's were pretty good on some Quad ESL63s however. All about the current.

What testing methodologies were performed to draw this conclusion?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What testing methodologies were performed to draw this conclusion?
At the time listening to them. Back in the dark ages.

The Aleph 3 was a good case in point. If you went very light on volume it was alright on Maggies. On Quads with the very high impedance at the lower frequencies it worked fine. Any kind of ported speaker even a small Radio Shack model the Aleph just fell apart. Couldn't handle high current needs that come from either low impedance or low impedance with significant phase angle.

Audiocrusader

At the time listening to them. Back in the dark ages.

The Aleph 3 was a good case in point. If you went very light on volume it was alright on Maggies. On Quads with the very high impedance at the lower frequencies it worked fine. Any kind of ported speaker even a small Radio Shack model the Aleph just fell apart. Couldn't handle high current needs that come from either low impedance or low impedance with significant phase angle.

But on this forum we know that sighted listening is unreliable. So isn't this just adding to the subjectivist noise you were just said a +1000 about?

audimus

Maybe it was the high distortion and asymmetrical waveforms everyone liked about the B&K on a 4 ohm speaker like the Maggies.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bk-st-140-power-amplifier-1989-measurements

I suspect that might be closer to the truth than just power/current capabilities. :)

There was definitely a preference I think for “warmer sounding” amps with the Maggies.

From a technical perspective, I do think that Maggies don’t do as well at the higher end of the spectrum in quality of sound (especially the earlier ones) and so the “bright” amps (or even perfectly linear ones) don’t sound as good or sound too bright or induce fatigue.

Sort of like room eq target curves that slope down at higher end being preferred by listeners than a flat line.

I have experimented with Audyssey, ARC and REW for my Maggies. The worst was the Audyssey and REW trying to keep the line flatter. When I did the auto-correction with ARC, I was surprised to see the resulting target aggressively sloped down but the sound was amazing. I then tried to mimic that ARC correction with REW using Equalizer APO on a PC and was able to get similar good results. Hence, my suspicions about what the amps that sounded good with Maggies may have been doing in their FR.

There could be some interplay with the type of harmonics present in those amps as well.

None of this will gel with the flatliner crowd, but it is what it is.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow sure is no consistency to the belief system around here. A man goes from objectivist to subjectivist multiple times on each thread!
People learn from living. You are comparing me 20 or more years ago with today. I can't report my opinions then consistently except as they were then. I could additionally review then with what I also know now or have experienced in the interim.

audimus

I actually had a low end Stasis Nak receiver, think it was a Sr-3a or a 4a mated to a pair of SMGs in my dorm room which is what got me started on the Maggie track because it sounded so good. A bastardized Nelson Pass design but still good sounding and able to drive the SMGs.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually had a low end Stasis Nak receiver, think it was a Sr-3a or a 4a mated to a pair of SMGs in my dorm room which is what got me started on the Maggie track because it sounded so good. A bastardized Nelson Pass design but still good sounding and able to drive the SMGs.
I got to hear the PA-7 and PA-5 Nakamichi amps. Mostly the PA-5.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Can you elaborate further?

Hey, that's what we keep asking you and we mostly get unwise-cracks in reply. You can't have it both ways if you wish to be credible.

Audiocrusader

People learn from living. You are comparing me 20 or more years ago with today. I can't report my opinions then consistently except as they were then. I could additionally review then with what I also know now or have experienced in the interim.

There's always the option to say you didn't have the gear at the time to perform the proper measurements. Or simply say nothing.

Top Bottom