• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendation for Klipsch R-51m

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

I was gifted a pair of Klipsch R-51m bookshelf speakers today for Christmas. I have a pair of floor standing speakers from the 70’s that are part of my primary setup and these Klipsch are not their replacement. The Klipsch just don’t have enough muscle to put out sound that comes from my floor standing speakers. I was thinking of pairing them up with my TV which has an a toslink out. I was hoping to see if any of you have a good recommendation for a stereo amp that I can pair with these Klipsch. I want to keep a small footprint instead of a full avr.

Winvieh

Open the back of the 51's, get the crossover out and take a look, in mine there ist a 5.6 uF chemical in series with the tweeter. this should be replaced with a good foil one! And the other chemical, in parallel with the woofer, about 50 uF should get a foil bypass, i used 1uF.
Theis gives a great improve. And it do not need much, something to solder.....
Good luck, my friends.

NoxMorbis

Open the back of the 51's, get the crossover out and take a look, in mine there ist a 5.6 uF chemical in series with the tweeter. this should be replaced with a good foil one! And the other chemical, in parallel with the woofer, about 50 uF should get a foil bypass, i used 1uF.
Theis gives a great improve. And it do not need much, something to solder.....
Good luck, my friends.
Can you elaborate on this?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Hey all,

I was gifted a pair of Klipsch R-51m bookshelf speakers today for Christmas. I have a pair of floor standing speakers from the 70’s that are part of my primary setup and these Klipsch are not their replacement. The Klipsch just don’t have enough muscle to put out sound that comes from my floor standing speakers. I was thinking of pairing them up with my TV which has an a toslink out. I was hoping to see if any of you have a good recommendation for a stereo amp that I can pair with these Klipsch. I want to keep a small footprint instead of a full avr.
For that application I'd be looking at an integrated amp with built in Toslink input.

You haven't specified a budget - but for the TV application, cheap and cheerful, I'd be looking at something like the Fosi Audio DA2120A

Or for something a bit more upmarket the Denon PMA600NE - though that may be larger than you want.

Top Bottom