• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendation for Hifiman HE-560

sakujou

Hello everyone,

A newbie here. Up until now I have just be stalking around, reading and educating myself on how not to fall into audophile snake oil traps. :D

But now I am in trouble. I got a good deal on a pair of Hifiman HE-560 and snatched them.
The thing is - my Schiit Magni 3 is not doing really well with them. Tried both low and high gain and at loud listening levels (volume after 12 o'clock) there is a lot of audible distortion. Tried 2 different sources - PC->USB-> SMSL M8A and Denon CD player->Optical->SMSL M8A. From the Denon CD it is slightly better, but still too distorted for my liking. I would even call it ear piercing.

After a lot of reading around forums, most people say that numbers and theory aside, the HE-560 need a LOT of oomph and more than an entry level amp.

So I would really appreciate a recommendation for an amp. Would 200-250 Euro (for used) cut it? Or do I really need to spend more? Because if I do I might as well just sell the Hifiman, since the situation would really get out of my price range and I would prefer to get some easier to drive cans.
I wouldn't mind a DAC + Amp combo as well, maybe in the range of 400-500 (for used). But here with the DAC I would get a bit more picky and would like to get a toroid, balanced fixed output and at least 1 optical, 1 coaxial and 1 usb (with DSD support) inputs.

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. The Magni 3 up until now has performed really well for me. Especially my AKG K550 is a great pair with it. Also very good for my IEMs (FLC Technology FLC8S). My Fidelio X2 and Audeze Sine are also slightly on the bright side when paired with this amp, but nothing as extreme as the HE-560.

Last edited:

Sak

OP
S

sakujou

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it!

So the JDS Atom has been tried and tested with the HE-560 and works good? Because on paper it seems weaker than the Magni 3. Or is it just that the Atom would still have enough power and won't distort like the Magni?

Any other amps which have tried and tested with the HE-560 and sound good, allowing it to shine to it's full potential?

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for the recommendation guys, I really appreciate it!

So the JDS Atom has been tried and tested with the HE-560 and works good? Because on paper it seems weaker than the Magni 3. Or is it just that the Atom would still have enough power and won't distort like the Magni?

Any other amps which have tried and tested with the HE-560 and sound good, allowing it to shine to it's full potential?
Enough power and no distortion. The upcoming SMSL SP200 would be good too but it'll cost $289. Atom is unbeatable dollar-performance wise.

Sak

So the JDS Atom has been tried and tested with the HE-560 and works good?
Yes, i use my HE-560 with Atom and very pleased sounds and power.

AresHarvest

I've used my HE560 (v2) with my Atom, and it's more than enough. Same for my 789, so then it would stand to reason the SP200 and upcoming Monolith would be fine too. Or really, any amp in your price range with low noise and distortion.

Side note, the Monolith Portable also has no issue with these headphones either. I know the HE560 sensitivity of 90 dB/mW seems demanding, and for many devices like smart phones it definitely is, but the fairly low impedance means it's more hungry for current rather than voltage.

Seems like high voltage requirement is usually the pain point, such as with phones, and again that's not much of an issue with this headphone. Any competent amplifier should have no issue supplying 50 mA at 2 Vrms, which is what this headphone would require to get to dangerously high levels.

Top Bottom