• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMP recommendation beside THX 789 and JDS Labs Atom

attle

Hello guys,

Just a little background I currently work from china and currently looking for headphone amp. Sadly JDS atom would require shipping from USA and customs in China is a hit or miss while THX is pretty much impossible to get. Ideally it would have a balanced output for my headphones, so would you guys recommend any other good headphone amps that are similar or 90% to the amps above? I am aware of the Neurochrome but that thing is also very hard to get (I guess good gears aren't easy to get). Thanks!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping DX7s DAC/amp, comes with a balanced headphone output jack.

OP
A

attle

Hello there. Can you use a combo DAC+headphone amp? If so, the Topping DX3 Pro is a very good choice and is what I use.

Thanks for the suggestion, is there any standalone options for an amp? or these combo are the best bet if i cant get my hands on the JDS atom

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for the suggestion, is there any standalone options for an amp? or these combo are the best bet if i cant get my hands on the JDS atom
Dx3pro's headphone amplifier section is as clean as atom in measurements and even a bit better subjective speaking (ignore if you don't think there is difference besides measurements).
The dac is also really good. I mean really pleasing sounding dac.

The downside that needs to be aware is that the noise level is constant. It doesn't decrease with volume because of digital volume control. So for sensitive iems it may be a problem.
Another thing is people say it doesn't have current /short circuit protection of some sort which needs to be implemented as it's discrete design. I don't have any problem with it. But it needs be awared.

I personally think dx3pro is superb unit.

coolbuzz05

Maybe Jds labs has distributor in HK or china, talk to John, he might can guide you.

Yeah if you really can't get an Atom, which can easily be an endgame amp, and it has to be standalone, Liquid Spark is cheap and good too, or combo I would get Topping DX7s or Monoprice thx 788 (make sure to update the firmware).

veeceem

Hello there. Can you use a combo DAC+headphone amp? If so, the Topping DX3 Pro is a very good choice and is what I use.
So Topping DX3 Pro is also good to be used as Preamp for power amp to stereo speakers? Thanks

Top Bottom