• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp rack near main electrical panel - terrible idea?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my current setup the subwoofer amp (Crown DCI4|1250n) is in the basement. It is currently on a shelf, about 6' from the main electrical panel (all GFCI or arc fault breakers because they were required by code when we did a renovation; the 20A audio system circuit's breaker is in this main panel and not a sub-panel) and at a 90º angle to the panel. I've been thinking about adding a rolling rack unit to make adding equipment or changing configuration more ergonomic.

However, the only practical location for such a unit is about 36" from the electrical panel and parallel to it. Solid rolling rack-mount units (Middle Atlantic, etc.) are expensive, and generally non-returnable. Is there a high probability of noise or other interference from the panel, such that I should just deal with having to physically move components to access them?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe try an EMF app on your phone and see how close you need to go before seeing a wobble?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It doesn't concern me.

Nor I. Rack-mounted gear in close proximity to power and other gear is the norm in the pro world and not all that uncommon in consumer installations. I do tend to stick a wire with a series resistor to the rack to ensure a ground; many others just tie it directly to the safety ground. To prevent ground loops you may need to use insulating washers on the screws from equipment ears to the rack; that way, you can implement s single-point/star ground scheme.

As an aside, arc-fault breakers were a nightmare when we finished our basement some years back. Hopefully they've improved. Turning on the treadmill, which had its own dedicated 20 A circuit, would cause the AFCI on another circuit to trip and send my son's bedroom into the dark. After replacing two of them twice, one worked, and the other I swapped for a standard GFCI to finally solve the problem.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an aside, arc-fault breakers were a nightmare when we finished our basement some years back. Hopefully they've improved.

Not really...

Top Bottom