• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp & Preamp for Revel F328Be

Crusher21

I just got a pair of Revel F328Be's and am looking for an amp and a separate preamp (integrated DAC would be nice) to pair with them. Only doing stereo, have a sub but probably won't integrate with the system, but I do want the ability to do so. Hoping to spend max $3k on the amp and $2k on a preamp/DAC combo.

The F328Be's are rated 50-300W, I'd like to at least be able to push 250W if not 300W.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

amper42

Major Contributor
I just got a pair of Revel F328Be's and am looking for an amp and a separate preamp (integrated DAC would be nice) to pair with them. Only doing stereo, have a sub but probably won't integrate with the system, but I do want the ability to do so. Hoping to spend max $3k on the amp and $2k on a preamp/DAC combo.

The F328Be's are rated 50-300W, I'd like to at least be able to push 250W if not 300W.

Here's what I'm using with the Revel F328Be.
1. RPi4 to USB for streaming Qobuz ($100)
2. RME ADI-2 DAC as pre-amp and DAC ($1299)
3. Purifi amp (March Audio $1720 or VTV Eigentakt $1139)

The RME ADI-2 can support a sub with a built in crossover using RCA out. Another option is the MiniDSP Flex once it ships next year. With Dirac, Balanced TRS, cables it's a bit under $900. This would offer better sub integration if that's important. https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex

If price isn't a concern you might consider:
1. BENCHMARK LA4 LINE AMPLIFIER $2600
2. Dual BENCHMARK AHB2 POWER AMPLIFIERS in bridge mode - $3000 each
3. Topping D90SE DAC - $899

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
I use the miniDSP SHD plus 2x Benchmark AHB2 for the F228be, and I'm very happy with it.

Something to consider is 12V trigger. The miniDSP does not have a 12V trigger output, so I had to spend another $75 on a BobWire for a TOSLINK detecting 12V trigger system to turn on/off the amps with the single remote.

I'm not sure what @amper42 does for turning on/off the amps with the RME solution. Probably individual power controls. If single remote convenience is important to you, be sure to look at your trigger options.

Some Matrix Audio streamer/preamps have 12V trigger outputs, that would probably be what I'd go with if I didn't do the SHD. Something like the Matrix Audio SABRE 3 + miniDSP 2x4HD + 2x AHB2 (or other amps). The miniDSP 2x4HD does not have a trigger I/O, but it's only 2.5W, which is under the standby power of some units anyway.

Single remote on/off is pretty important to me, but everyone is different.

The SHD or 2x4HD will do stereo + 2 subs.

Marc

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you want to push a lot of power, consider a pair of NAD C298 plus a Topping Pre90/Ext90.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recommend mostly ignoring any manufacturer's recommended power ratings for speakers. Use a calculator like this one from Crown Audio to get an idea of how much power you'll need based on a speaker's sensitivity and the parameters of your listening room:

how-much-amplifier-power

e135800

I'll have my 328be pair Sunday. I currently run a Sanders Magtech, 500@8, 900@4. Getting rid of my Maggie 3.7i and want to keep this amp. Also, I didn't go for the Salon 2 since I have 2 REL S/5 SHO subs, I should be able to integrate those nicely, they matched up with the Maggies quite well.

nc42acc

NAD M33 (expensive) or Schiit Freya+ and any of the Purifi amps (cheaper). No sub needed, bass is great at least with the Purifi in my experience.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would pre-order the MiniDSP Flex and use whatever i have at the moment till it arrives.

As for amplifiers probably something with Hypex or Purifi modules.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the "good speakers are the first priority" department, where you might have spent your wad on the Revels, it seems to me a Buckeye NC502MP amp would be a good choice--power consistent with the capability of the speakers, SINAD good enough to be transparent for all but a few specially trained listeners, and half the price of the Purifi-based amps. And it would leave some money in your pocket even compared to the reasonably priced suggestions above.

Then, add the Topping preamp with the balanced outputs and the DAC of your choice--both will be effectively transparent.

Rick "expensive sources applied in electro-mechanical days--now transparent sources for digital streaming are relatively cheap" Denney

Last edited:
OP
C

Crusher21

I see quite a few people recommending I preorder the MiniDSP Flex. It looks pretty sweet, but it doesn't look like it has a sub input.

Here's what I'm using with the Revel F328Be.
1. RPi4 to USB for streaming Qobuz ($100)
2. RME ADI-2 DAC as pre-amp and DAC ($1299)
3. Purifi amp (March Audio $1720 or VTV Eigentakt $1139)

The RME ADI-2 can support a sub with a built in crossover using RCA out. Another option is the MiniDSP Flex once it ships next year. With Dirac, Balanced TRS, cables it's a bit under $900. This would offer better sub integration if that's important. https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex

If price isn't a concern you might consider:
1. BENCHMARK LA4 LINE AMPLIFIER $2600
2. Dual BENCHMARK AHB2 POWER AMPLIFIERS in bridge mode - $3000 each
3. Topping D90SE DAC - $899
I ended up getting a Hypex-based amp instead of a Purifi one. I assume there won't be any big difference right?

In the "good speakers are the first priority" department, where you might have spent your wad on the Revels, it seems to me a Buckeye NC502MP amp would be a good choice--power consistent with the capability of the speakers, SINAD good enough to be transparent for all but a few specially trained listeners, and half the price of the Purifi-based amps. And it would leave some money in your pocket even compared to the reasonably priced suggestions above.

Then, add the Topping preamp with the balanced outputs and the DAC of your choice--both will be effectively transparent.

Rick "expensive sources applied in electro-mechanical days--now transparent sources for digital streaming are relatively cheap" Denney
I definitely blew my wad on the Revels haha, but I've still got some wiggle room to work with here. I did end up going with the Buckeye NC502MP. Won't arrive for awhile, but I really hope it suits me well! I have a fear of my speakers getting fried somehow, hope that doesn't happen haha.

Topping vs MiniDSP, which is the better choice and why for preamp?

amper42

Major Contributor
I see quite a few people recommending I preorder the MiniDSP Flex. It looks pretty sweet, but it doesn't look like it has a sub input.

I ended up getting a Hypex-based amp instead of a Purifi one. I assume there won't be any big difference right?

I definitely blew my wad on the Revels haha, but I've still got some wiggle room to work with here. I did end up going with the Buckeye NC502MP. Won't arrive for awhile, but I really hope it suits me well! I have a fear of my speakers getting fried somehow, hope that doesn't happen haha.

Topping vs MiniDSP, which is the better choice and why for preamp?

I would prefer the MiniDSP FLEX with Dirac or SHD over the Topping Pre90. Personally, I don't want anything where I have to hold buttons and restart just to get to the settings menu. That seems cheap to me. I like the RME ADI-2 as it works really well as a preamp and a DAC. It offers tons of gain that can push any amp to its limits. If I needed a Preamp I would order the Benchmark LA4.

OP
C

Crusher21

I would prefer the MiniDSP FLEX with Dirac or SHD over the Topping Pre90. Personally, I don't want anything where I have to hold buttons and restart just to get to the settings menu. That seems cheap to me. I like the RME ADI-2 as it works really well as a preamp and a DAC. It offers tons of gain that can push any amp to its limits. If I needed a Preamp I would order the Benchmark LA4.
Looking at it again, it looks like the RME is the only DAC that isn't Chinese. Looks like it has very good reviews too!
Are you sure it's also a preamp though?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Personally, I don't want anything where I have to hold buttons and restart just to get to the settings menu.
I wonder how often you think it is necessary to do that. My settings have not changed since the original setup.

amper42

Major Contributor
Looking at it again, it looks like the RME is the only DAC that isn't Chinese. Looks like it has very good reviews too!
Are you sure it's also a preamp though?

With the RME ADI-2 it always keeps my volume settings intact. I'm never concerned about turning the unit on and verifying the volume levels are where I left them. It offers output level switchable +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS. In addition, it includes 5 band EQ and a unique loudness feature that is quite nice at lower volumes. About the only preamp feature it does not offer is RCA inputs. If I required analog inputs I would opt for the LA4.

LA4.png

What I like about the miniDSP Flex is the option for Dirac with dual subs along with stereo L/R speakers. Having the option for Dirac is nice. However, with my Revel F328Be speakers they sound great without EQ to me. So personal taste will be involved. The Flex allows the system to run with or without Dirac so you can easily use either method. I also like that it offers an app to control the unit remotely.

flex.png

Last edited:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
In that price range I would consider the NAD M33. I own a miniDSP SHD and would consider it or the new miniDSP Flex balanced with Dirac live if you want a separate preamp. If I were willing to spend that much on a poweramp I would consider asking Tom Christiansen to build me a custom Neurochrome Modulus-686.
+1 on Tom’s Neurochrome builds. Have a Modulus-286 Tom built and very happy with it.

Top Bottom