• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

amp for stereo pair of sealed 18" subs

aschen

I am currently running my 18" ultimax sub off a bridged crown XLS 1502, it works pretty well. I want to built another sub for the 2.2 experience

The obvious choice would be to get another 1502, but I don't really want another box.
The next obvious choice is to get a 2502 and run in stereo which is the way I was leaning
the 3rd and still obvious choice is to run the 1502 stereo but 500 ish watts/sub seems on the low side

Should I be considering one of the packaged module amps for this? Id like to get ~1kw per channel in the $1000 or so range. I would spend more if I thought there would be an advantage. A stereo NC1200 amp seems like a good option but maybe a bit of a waste. How about the pascal 800w pascal or bigger icepower based amps? Any other good options I am missing for big cheapish power, or should I just go with the easy answer of 2502?

THanks

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Hypex sub modules are terrific. I personally use the MiniDSP smaller sub module, one per side, which is 450w into 8 ohms, specs not as good as the Hypex. I get gobs of power for 9", long-throw sub drivers in a passive-radiator enclosure.

mSpot

the 3rd and still obvious choice is to run the 1502 stereo but 500 ish watts/sub seems on the low side
You already have the amp. You can try it out in stereo for free and see if it really is on the low side, before doing anything else.

OP
A

aschen

Yeah will definately give it a go with half the 1502. I need to procure and build the other sub as a first step. According to the measurments here it would be more like 330 watts. That doesnt seem like much for an 18" high excursion sub. I am sure it would be fine for 99% of the time though. Sometimes its fun to crank the subs and irritate the neighborhood though.

Top Bottom