• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

amp for magnepan MMGs.

craftsmansky

looking at a lot of things. music fidelity M2si, outlaw audio rr2150, emotiva, even mainstream onkyo 8270 or integra dtm7 (same, unit, i know). budget is $650. had the cambridge audio sr20, but just didnt sound right. too harsh in the highs. i know i am old and have some hearing loss in the high end, but it should distort things, should it? anyway, all advice appreciated

Bald1

Never have had MMGs but have had MGIIIa's for 19 years now. Found high current amplifiers seem to be the best (open and effortless if that makes sense) with these large bipolar jobs with their true ribbons. I suspect the same may be true of the smaller MMGs.

I ran them with a Dynaco ST-410 (220w/RMS @ 8Ω 11 amps continuous,16amps peak) as well as a Parraound HCA-1200 (200w/ch @ 8Ω, 40 amperes continuous current, 57 amperes peak) but settled with a pair of Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks (each 120 amps current delivery 180w/ch @ 8Ω).

berlinguyinca

I'm running these of 2x Emotiva XPA-1 (First Gen) and kinda like it. Except they are not really wife approved and placement issues ( they need to be spaced quite a bit from the wall) Also the Emotiva run a touch warm for my liking

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
looking at a lot of things. music fidelity M2si, outlaw audio rr2150, emotiva, even mainstream onkyo 8270 or integra dtm7 (same, unit, i know). budget is $650. had the cambridge audio sr20, but just didnt sound right. too harsh in the highs. i know i am old and have some hearing loss in the high end, but it should distort things, should it? anyway, all advice appreciated
I just wrote something about driving maggies here at ASR. You should get an amp which is happy driving 4 Ohm. Can be very old, and if you look for used amps have a look at the weight of the amp. It should not be too light ( old AB power amps need heavy transformers and big cooling equipment). If you look new a class D amp may be a better joice than a light weight class AB amp.

Top Bottom