• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp for Aeon RT Open

HillCountry

I am very new to headphones; I've always been a speaker person. I just purchased a Topping EX5 and a Sennheiser HD560s headphone and now I fear I may have another obsession creating hobby in my life.

I would like to try out a planar headphone for fun and the Dan Clark Aeon Open RT has caught my eye but I don't know if the EX5 has enough amplifier for the Aeon's. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?

Other 'phone recommendations would be welcome if another option is better choice. I tend to like a neutral sound and very much enjoy hearing the details in the music. I don't mind sacrificing a bit of bass for detail if required but I still want it present and for it to be clean with some impact. Good dynamics are nice too.
I haven't gone down the rabbit-hole far enough to spend a ton of money on getting the best just yet. Something in the $500 range give or take would be nice.

Last edited:
OP
H

HillCountry

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will likely go with closed version after reading some other people’s takes on it. I hope I choose wisely. I’m not used to spending that much on a headphone. As much as my speakers have cost me in the past I’m not sure why it bothers me.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I’m driving my DCA AEON 2 Noires with a Topping A30Pro without any issues. I can’t even pass 2 o’clock on the volume knob so I have plenty headroom still.

Riaz-Ahmed

EX5's 1W into 33 ohm should be fine at the lower impedance of Aeons. @Riaz-Ahmed was very happy with an EX5 and Aeons IIRC.
good memory @Helicopter !!

@HillCountry the DCA AEON RT Closed are very good headphones. I've had them for a few months now and they sound amazing. They defo get better over time.

They work really well with the Topping EX5, short review here on ASR. Loads of power and transparent sound!

Enjoy mate.

Cheers
Riaz

OP
H

HillCountry

Thank you Riaz -
I'm feeling a bit more comfortable with my choice now. I'm looking forward to receiving them so I can take a listen and possibly play with some of the EQ settings posted.

I just traded a set of Bowers 801 Nautilus speakers for some Revel F228be's. I needed something lighter and smaller.

Now it seems I'm going to be playing around with headphones as well. I like the Sennhesiser HD560's I tried well enough to get enthusiastic about them. A few years ago I tried some Sennheiser 600's and they had a very annoying buzz like sound to the lower frequencies. After reading about them the last few days it seems they are well respected so I suspect I may have had a defective set. I did try a couple of different amps and it made no difference.

Xii-Nyth

I am very new to headphones; I've always been a speaker person. I just purchased a Topping EX5 and a Sennheiser HD560s headphone and now I fear I may have another obsession creating hobby in my life.

I would like to try out a planar headphone for fun and the Dan Clark Aeon Open RT has caught my eye but I don't know if the EX5 has enough amplifier for the Aeon's. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?

Other 'phone recommendations would be welcome if another option is better choice. I tend to like a neutral sound and very much enjoy hearing the details in the music. I don't mind sacrificing a bit of bass for detail if required but I still want it present and for it to be clean with some impact. Good dynamics are nice too.
I haven't gone down the rabbit-hole far enough to spend a ton of money on getting the best just yet. Something in the $500 range give or take would be nice.
going off of measurements on this site, id say the smsl sh-8s if you are going to run it balanced (id recommend making your own balanced cables if you are gonna buy the x variant on drop which doesnt give the option for some reason, rather than buying new ones for 100$) or the smsl sp200 for either, if you are willing to buy and replace the potentiometer in them if you get one with channel variance. (one sale right now for 160$ probably because of that issue) or for cheaper the standard atom/heresy/topping something for 100-110$

not familiar with your current amp but if nothings wrong with it just having an amp should be enough for most things

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the THX 789 amp w/ the RT Opens and on medium gain can't get past around 2 o'clock or it becomes painful and w/o distortion. I'd also recommend balanced cables and bought a set from Hart Audio Cables. They're high quality, reasonable in price and very soft and pliable. Good luck w/ whatever you choose!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the THX 789 amp w/ the RT Opens and on medium gain can't get past around 2 o'clock or it becomes painful and w/o distortion. I'd also recommend balanced cables and bought a set from Hart Audio Cables. They're high quality, reasonable in price and very soft and pliable. Good luck w/ whatever you choose!
+1 on the 789 and the RT Opens - which if you get the Dan Clark retail site version not the Drop "X" variant can come with balanced "Dummer" cable or other options. I got the 789 for the bargain price of $200- at that price nothing else can touch it for power/ performance and balanced config.

Xii-Nyth

oh ill get back to this, the magni heresy can do it, other 100$ option are current limited but this one stands out as the cheapest clean amp that can power it

Top Bottom