• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMP for 2.0 and 2.1 Powered Desktop Monitors

wacomme

I sometimes have low volume issues with my Adam T5V monitors. Most of the time it's fine, but for some tracks I lack sufficient volume to crank up the volume a bit when I'm not just sitting at my desk. I have the monitors connected via balanced cables to a Topping L50 amp and SMSL DO100 dac. For headphone listening, the amp/dac combo is just fine. However, for the desktop monitors, I have to bypass the L50, and thus the only volume control is via the D0100 dac.

So, what's needed to get an amp for the powered monitors? I want balanced cabling; it's what I currently have from my amp (via bypass) to the monitors. I also want a balanced connection from my dac to the amp. For future proofing, it would be nice, though not necessary at the moment), to have a 2.1 system where I can integrate a subwoofer into the mix. The sub is not a high priority since I probably won't invest in one anytime soon; to get the low frequency I need to improve my system I need a $400+ sub.

Do I replace the L50 with an amp that can power headphones and speakers? Do I buy an amp just for the monitors? If so, how do I connect my current amp/dac with the monitor amp? Do I connect my dac to both the L50 and the monitor amp? Balanced for both? If so, what kind of amp do I need?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

your best bet is to upgrade your monitors to something more powerful, or switch to a passive speaker

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The T5V are rated for SPL 106db and have 20watt class D amps inside them. I would never expect them to be not loud enough. What's the "Level" knob positioned to on the back of your monitors?

Katji

Major Contributor
If they are powered monitors then why are they connected to an external amplifier?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If it doesn't go loud enough I'd just get bigger speakers. 5" will never go really loud.

Katji

Major Contributor
It shoud be enough for sitting at the desk with them, but I suppose that still depends on the room.

However, this is not resolved. The rest is moot /not applicable, until it is resolved. --->

If they are powered monitors then why are they connected to an external amplifier?

You cannot connect a speaker amplifier to active speakers that already have an amplifier in them.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

The T5V are rated for SPL 106db and have 20watt class D amps inside them. I would never expect them to be not loud enough. What's the "Level" knob positioned to on the back of your monitors?
I have them at around zero. I've balanced their output using REW.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Thanks for your feedback. This is good to know. Volume is likely being cut due to the EQ filtering setup I have on my computer. I may have to look into this a bit more closely.

Generally, and for most situations the volume is good. I get that they are for desk listening. It's just on occasion I want blast the sound through the upstairs when my neighbors are gone. I guess they aren't designed to do that kind of volume. There's always headphones!

Katji

Major Contributor
It's a pass-through via the L50 headphone amp.
So this is so you can plug in headphones?...and then the sound stops going through...the pass-through to the speakers? ...are you sure it's just a pass-through?

If so, then surely this is irrelevant? --->
+4bBu (balanced XLR connection).

Volume is likely being cut due to the EQ filtering setup I have on my computer. I may have to look into this a bit more closely.

This is normal. -5.0 But it made a big difference, i mean had to increase the speaker-amp volume when I started it - (EAPO)

1659140536987.png

But today i reduced..changed it from -5.5 to -5.0 ...because i didn't want to get up and go to the speakers. (they are not on the desk, there is no desk, they are 3.5m away.)

nsfgp

It's a pass-through via the L50 headphone amp.
Confusing questions gets confused answer most of the time. You keep asking for an 'Amp' to feed into your powered monitor.
You want a line-level output or Pre-amp output from a device to feed into your T5V. Not an "Amp" as people usually associate an "Amp" to be speaker level output.
I know you need an Amp for you headphone but that is a separate issue from your questions.

You are using a "passive-preamp" so to speak from the L50 "pass-through TRS output" into your T5V. So you only have the 4V signal from the D100 to start with when feeding into the L50. Depending on how that 4V signal from the DAC is being used/distributed (I heard the headphone circuit may not turn off even if you are not using headphone, is that true??) your "passive pass-through" output signal from the L50 TRS out may not be high enough for your T5V to full volume. Check that first.

Have you tried to just connect the D100 XLR directly to T5V (DAC mode full output)?? Do you get higher/volume you wanted??

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Confusing questions gets confused answer most of the time. You keep asking for an 'Amp' to feed into your powered monitor.
You want a line-level output or Pre-amp output from a device to feed into your T5V. Not an "Amp" as people usually associate an "Amp" to be speaker level output.
I know you need an Amp for you headphone but that is a separate issue from your questions.

You are using a "passive-preamp" so to speak from the L50 "pass-through TRS output" into your T5V. So you only have the 4V signal from the D100 to start with when feeding into the L50. Depending on how that 4V signal from the DAC is being used/distributed (I heard the headphone circuit may not turn off even if you are not using headphone, is that true??) your "passive pass-through" output signal from the L50 TRS out may not be high enough for your T5V to full volume. Check that first.

Have you tried to just connect the D100 XLR directly to T5V (DAC mode full output)?? Do you get higher/volume you wanted??
OK. I thought this would be good to check out, so I connected RCA cables directly from my DO100 dac to the T5V monitors. The volume was exactly the same as the balanced outputs from the L50 amp (via pass-through). So, it's no the amp that's causing any volume reduction.

Now, this test was a bit dangerous, thanks to my own stupidity. As I was leaning over the file cabinet to switch the cable connections I forgot I had a candle burning. I felt something warm on my chest and when I looked down my shirt was on fire! Thankfully, I only had minor burns to my chest/stomach and hand (putting out the fire).

All-in-all, the volume is good. I'm not going to pursue increased volume any further. Apparently, I've been forewarned. :eek:

IMG_4074.jpeg

Top Bottom