• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp Dummy Load

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How many manufacturers provide this level of info today?
545 specs.png
specs 2.png
545 specs 3.png

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I picked up another Adcom GFA-545 II a few days back for a price I couldn't refuse, I thought "what the heck, if I have a backup amp on the shelf, nothing in the system will ever break", a variation of Murphy's Law.. It was a very clean, original owner piece that included the shipping box and was known to be working. So today I figured I'd to a little cleanup and checking of bias, etc. But when I pulled the lid off it was the dirtiest component inside that I've ever come across. Maybe our classic component guru @restorer-john has seen worse but I haven't. I take it by the fact the bottom layer of dust has a bit of a green colored tint to it, and won't just blow off, that the household it came out of contained at least one, maybe more smokers. It's being a bit of a chore to get it cleaned to a level I'm happy with.. That's the bad news, the good news is that none of the caps look to have leaked or gotten swollen, and no evidence of heat damage or what have you.. After I finish the cleaning I'll get to making the few measurements I'm competent at and post again.
TIA, Sal

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm adding some photos of how dirty the amps were.
IMG_2694.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is nothing wrong with hosing off electronic equipment. I do it all the time. Then rinse it with deionized or distilled water..
Then let it dry for a long time until it actually is dry which you can accelerate by using a heat gun or placing it in a warm oven.
I have never had this bite me. It has always worked.

I looked at this thread from the beginning. If anyone else needs a test load:
https://www.surplussales.com/Resistors/NonInductive/Res-NonInd_list.htm

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

gene_stl

Forum Donor
well I have used compressed air and vacuum cleaners too , but when something is really feelthy I like hot water.
It IS somewhat counter intuitive. And you need to not be in a hurry so that you won't be tempted to switch it back on before it has a chance to really dry out. It also is easier if stuff is already dis assembled. It can make a board look almost brand new.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hummm, that just says WRONG in so many ways. LOL
Your amp does not look very dirty. A shop I hung around at for years used to immerse entire units into a very large industrial ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water in it. For bench top cleaning I like boring a small hole in the isopropyl alcohol bottle cap/top and using it to squirt the alcohol onto the stuff and then use a 2" long paintbrush to gently work it in. If there was water damage or I really want a shiny PCB after I'll rinse with a small amount of methyl hydrate. But all of these can be flammable so be very careful and is best done outside. The comment about hot distilled water works wonders for fruit juice and coke beverage spills that have turned gummy or hardened.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks guys, I can see how using water or other liquids is a doable option, taking care to make sure unit is totally dry before powering up. I believe I can get this guy in acceptable condition using simply air at this point, I'll let you know.

I wonder if a large toroidal transformer could resemble a Tesla Coil if powered up with water in it? :eek: LOL

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks guys, I can see how using water or other liquids is a doable option, taking care to make sure unit is totally dry before powering up. I believe I can get this guy in acceptable condition using simply air at this point, I'll let you know.

I wonder if a large toroidal transformer could resemble a Tesla Coil if powered up with water in it? :eek: LOL
Demineralized water (don't know if that's the English term) could be an idea...

Prana Ferox

For bench top cleaning I like boring a small hole in the isopropyl alcohol bottle cap/top and using it to squirt the alcohol onto the stuff and then use a 2" long paintbrush to gently work it in.

Same here but acid brush, old military solder-shop habits.

Timbo2

I'm not sure how close in design the 545 and the 585 are, but this may give some places to look for the problem spots.

Top Bottom