• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp/dac help!

MysterE

Dear all!

Long time reader, first time posting so apologies if I am in the wrong area or asking things that have already been answered.

I am looking at buying a DAC to use in my system between my computer and integrated amp. Maybe someone can correct me but perhaps a headphone amp/dac would be practical as I use headphones fairly often.

I have - Rotel ra-1062
- Marantz CD6006
- Brik d/a converter
- Sen hd650
- Sonab 0a-5 mkii speakers.
- Dell laptop

My budget is up to $1000 (AUD) and would love to hear opinions on which dac or dac/amp to use to get the most from my HD650s as well as my digital music library.

Based on reviews and tests I have read, I have created a current list of devices that interest me:

-Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 788
-Topping DX3 pro
-JDS Labs El dac
-Marantz HD DAC1
-RME ADI-2 (a little over budget)

What would you choose? Can all of these units be used well as a dac between my computer and Rotel? The choices are overwhelming! Am I better off going straight to an end-game dac?

Kind regards,

E

Last edited:

ZeDestructor

I went Drop + Grace Design SDAC Balanced and Drop + THX AAA 789.

Amp-wise, the 789 is my endgame but DAC-wise, I will be replacing the SDAC with something else for my endgame, likely the upcoming DX7Pro if it measured as well as what Topping claims, or maybe a D70s if Topping bothers making one to match the DX7Pro's performance.

Being highly-biased, I'd say you should do the same as me, but you can look at the Monoprice THX 887, SMSL SP200 and Benchmark HPA4 as the obvious amp alternatives, while DAC-wise you have the Sabaj D5, March Audio DAC1, Topping D50s, E1DA 9038S/D, SMSL SU-8v2, Khadas Tone Board. For something more integrated, the RMA ADI-2 DAC stands above all thanks to it's integrated DSP.

Those options should be either within your budget, or near enough to not really matter.

EDIT: for us objectivists, all those mentioned above (besides the SDAC-B) would qualify as end-game, so I'd say you should jump straight to end-game in one go, since you can afford it.

EDIT2: You probably want a DAC with volume control, so you can volume-control your speaker amp if/when you upgrade that to one that doesn't have volume control.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
TOTL: Sabaj D5, Topping DX7 Pro or RME ADI-2, optionally line-out to monoprice/massdrop THX AAA for even better amplification.

Or, realistically just a simple Topping DX3 would suffice for many.

OP
M

MysterE

@Veri @ZeDestructor
Thank you for taking the time to help!

So right now I'm leaning towards either the Sabaj D5 or Topping Dx7(s/pro) into the THX 887. Any marked differences?

Alternatively, I could get just the RME...

E

ZeDestructor

@Veri @ZeDestructorSo right now I'm leaning towards either the Sabaj D5 or Topping Dx7(s/pro) into the THX 887. Any marked differences?

Nothing audible. That said, the DX7s is clearly a previous-gen product in terms of performance to the D5and DX7 Pro, and the DX7s and the D5 don't have the bluetooth input that the DX7 Pro has. Since I do my DSP on my phone or PC, the cool DSP stuff of the RME doesn't appeal to me, but bluetooth input for the times when I brick my desktop certainly is. Consequently, I like DX7 Pro above everything else, on paper. Since I have infinite patience, I ain't gonna buy until it goes onto the bench :D

OP
M

MysterE

@ZeDestructor
Bluetooth isn't such a big deal for me to be honest.

I have decided to get either the 887 or 789 (when they're bloody available!) but with which dac? Would it be silly to use the D5 Sabaj instead of a dedicated dac?

Last edited:
Top Bottom