• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp/DAC for IEM's

shaneymac

Hello,
I'm regular lurker on this forum for a while. I'm not demanding audio user, I just want satisfactory experience on budget levels. I use IEM's to listen music on my PC usually while I'm working in the office. After using KZ ZSR (22 ohms, 107db sensitivity) earphones for a few months, I decide to go with CCA C10 (32 ohms, 108db sensitivity) after reading many great reviews on the internet. This is the point where my problems begin.
When I plug C10 in the PC, there is significant level of noise even when volume is muted. I thought that problem is with faulty earphones, but I try them on my Denon D-M41 at home and there is no any noise or hiss in the background and sound is perfect for me. So, as I understand, these earphones are much more demanding than ZSR to drive them on PC. As I need these new IEM's for my office, I need some budget ($100 - $150 max) desktop amp/dac for conecting them to PC.
I was looking for something like Schiit Fulla 2, Topping MX3 or Nuforce UDAC-5, but I don't know how they will work with my IEM's. I would go to such a amp/dac combo devices with knob rather than amp and dac separately because there is no much space on the desk. Please advice me what to buy to make my listening experience better? Any suggestions are welcome ;-) Thanks

OP
S

shaneymac

Thanks for your input! Well, to tell the truth, this one was in my focus (beside other favorites mentioned above; and some others like FX audio X6, SMSL AD18, Micca Origen+ ...) when I start this research about amp/dac's, but I have mysteriously lost it while reading (and watching) all these glorifying reviews of Fulla 2, MX3 or UDAC-5 on the web. Now K3 is back on track as I think this one have all I really need. Good dac and decent amp to power my budget, low sensitive IEM's (without any background noise, I hope). And I believe this is good starting point for some future upgrades?

jasonhanjk

You'll need a USB DAC that can output low power with low noise. Nowadays manufacturer will tend to push their power upwards to get a favorable SNR value, which are typically useless for IEM. Amir started some measurement base on 50mV output, however I only see 4 devices on the chart and the noise are not pretty.

index.php

OP
S

shaneymac

So you think that I will hear noise with Fiio K3 as well?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ifi IEmatch is the solution when you hear noise and have plenty power to spare.
No more noise and better volpot range.

OP
S

shaneymac

I will definitively go for Fiio K3 and I hope this will be a good solution.
Thanks for your help ;-)

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
get IEMs with higher impedance. IEMs with low impedance present 2 issues - you need amp with low output impedance, volume control should be digital or stepped resistors to allow balance at lower volume. Topping DX3Pro seems like a match for your IEM thingy.
Side note: I tried IEMs many times and find them very uncomfortable for any use, too loud, no bass, cannot wear for extended time, extended ear wax production etc.

OP
S

shaneymac

get IEMs with higher impedance. IEMs with low impedance present 2 issues - you need amp with low output impedance, volume control should be digital or stepped resistors to allow balance at lower volume. Topping DX3Pro seems like a match for your IEM thingy.
Side note: I tried IEMs many times and find them very uncomfortable for any use, too loud, no bass, cannot wear for extended time, extended ear wax production etc.

Well, I already ordered Fiio K3 so I will need to try it and I hope that this one will be OK for my needs. As I can see from the Amirm's review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iew-and-measurements-of-fiio-k3-dac-amp.6859/ output impednace is 1,8 ohm which is (I believe) quite decent. Also, as much as I understand, K3 have some kind of digital volume control, is that right? As I wrote earlier, I'm trying to find amp/dac for my office where I want to use IEM's rather than headphones, because they are more discreet than large headphone cans on my head ;-) I don't want that clients thinks I'm some kind of DJ there :) Topping DX3Pro is very nice device indeed, but it is twice the price of Fiio and I really don't need some features, only basic amp for my budget chi-fi earphones. Nothing fancy ;-)

OP
S

shaneymac

Just a small update: Fiio K3 arrived today and I'm really impressed with this little device which solved my problems with noise on mute. CCA C10's works flawlessly with K3, same as ZSR. Now I'm waiting for Tin Audio T2 so I can try this one, too ;-)
Thanks everybody for your help, I really appreciate it!

Top Bottom