• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp/Dac choices; I am still searching!

TechEnthusiast

I have been researching, purchasing, comparing, and learning...mostly from you guys here on this forum. My ears/wallet tell me one thing my heart/gut tell me another. Nothing in this headphone world is perfect. I have boiled down to 3 choices, but more thoughts on that as well.
I have currently a Monolith 788 and a Topping L30/E30. Back is going a SMSL sp200 and m200 after a/b comparisons. SMSL pairing not any better than the Toppings other than more headroom and I do not need the bluetooth (I thought that it broadcasted it...lol) that seems to be the main feature over the E30 otherwise sound very similar. Plus the SMSL stack is great, they only will go with each other. And who really needs a balanced pairing w/only half of it balanced???
Really like the 788, but not the interface it provides. Clunky at best and I would probably eq with the pc if I do it at all. Nice Clean single unit look. Balanced for future. Dirac???makes things smaller to me. Nice on board Dac...same chip as E30. Too many presses as a pre-amp and Volume too many turne steps to turn down quickly. But again Nice sound clean look.
Perhaps getting the Monolith 887 and pairing it with the E30. Most expensive option. Nothing matches. Great amp with plenty of headroom easy to use as a pre-amp. Future proof with being a separate and has balanced. And it has lots of power...I guess about the same as the SMSL, but balanced.
Not sure if I will ever use balanced. I am pretty sure that the L30 is enough.. it is for now that is for sure. Price, however is not the driving force here. I just wonder what people here with more experience would do. I am the type that will at some point look to get a set of Aryas or HD800's, so I really don't want to pin myself down now. If money was a consideration would it be best to just get the 887 and use PC interface and buy a Dac later. I mean why get the E30 when I might want/need balanced down the road. If I thought that I would really hear a huge difference I would get a A90/D90 pairing or that German ADI-2, but perhaps the L30/E30 is enough.
Would appreciate some guidance here. I really love the Sundars's that I have, and they sound even better with this new gear that I mentioned above. I am truly learning a lot and just want to make wise choices for now and the future.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Oh and I forgot to mention the THX 789 which is liken $50 less than the 887 but somehow is also not truly balanced.....at least that is what I read or heard somewhere.

raif71

Major Contributor
Hello again @TechEnthusiast . I'm currently looking for a balanced dac/amp after owning SE setups such as l30/e30 and d50s/a50s. I already have the Ifi Zen Can as you may already know. I'm currently looking to test this with ifi zen dac and smsl su8. I already have the 4.4mm male-male cable, now just need the dual 3pin xlr cable to 4.4mm female cable to test with smsl su8. Both of these units are available at the local shops. Good luck to you

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Ahh that Zen Can. I still like it just lil concerned after the torching. The most versatile amp for under $200 with plenty of power. Just cannot get past it's physical appearance. By itself great though. Just aunstackable ugly duckling. But boy can it perform!

raif71

Major Contributor
Just imagine you're forever doing a blind test with the zen can, then I suppose you wouldn't mind its looks, lol.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Btw does anyone know how the 789/887 work as a pre-amp? I see the switch on the back...just curious because that can make a difference as to which direction that I lean.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Btw does anyone know how the 789/887 work as a pre-amp? I see the switch on the back...just curious because that can make a difference as to which direction that I lean.
The RCA outputs are pass through on the Massdrop and Monolith THX amps, no pre amp function or volume control through those. The Topping A90 can be used as a pre amp along with headphone amp duties.
The 11.11 sale in China is coming up, should be some good deals on the Topping models if you need a beast headphone amp with pre amp capabilities, and if in the US, price match on Apos.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

The RCA outputs are pass through on the Massdrop and Monolith THX amps, no pre amp function or volume control through those. The Topping A90 can be used as a pre amp along with headphone amp duties.
The 11.11 sale in China is coming up, should be some good deals on the Topping models if you need a beast headphone amp with pre amp capabilities, and if in the US, price match on Apos.
It seems as though there is never one solution without some sort of a compromise.

Top Bottom