• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp capacitors drying out

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi guys, anyone have experience on how long you put an amp on shelve and the caps dried out causing troubles? just curious as I recently dug up my burson Soloist SL from the shelve not powering up for like 4 years and it still works fine. (purchased in 2013 so it's 7 years old now)

Willem

Major Contributor
Assuming it was stored at more or less normal temperatures you should be fine for quite a few more years.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Typically couple of decades or more depending on the usage and environment.

Angstrom

Your talking about Electrolytic Capacitor, which will dry out over time. I was rebuilding 58 +-year-old Binson Echorec last year which need it main cans replaced. .47 uF 350 Volts

You need ESR meter to see if the CAPs are bad, as you can see both main power condition caps were not at full health after 58+ years. Note not all meter willl allow you to test in circuit.
IMG_7512.jpeg

IMG_7518.jpeg

Here are the updated caps

IMG_7543.jpeg

OP
Y

YSC

Major Contributor
Your talking about Electrolytic Capacitor, which will dry out over time. I was rebuilding 58 +-year-old Binson Echorec last year which need it main cans replaced. .47 uF 350 Volts

You need ESR meter to see if the CAPs are bad, as you can see both main power condition caps were not at full health after 58+ years. Note not all meter willl allow you to test in circuit.
View attachment 46556
View attachment 46557

Here are the updated caps

View attachment 46558
Woo, so those caps survived 58 years and still not completely dead and only degraded from full life, pretty amazing

Angstrom

Yes, it was amazing to see it still running. I have had to renew a few more caps, it has been a fun project. Now working putting new record and playback heads

You would not believe how happy I was to find that big 47 + 47 uF 350 V cap replacement. I surprised even a few of the best Binson rebuilders find it.
IMG_7348.jpeg

Top Bottom