• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp broke

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
please see my post just above yours ^^^ ... maybe your companies are seeking low cost items, but apparently the majority of such components ARE made in the USA...
That is LSIs, and specifically those USA made ones tend to be digital in nature like microcontrollers etc. The semiconductors you are likely to find in your amp are not USA made. Again, if you have some part numbers from your amp, I'd really appreciate the part# - chances are we have the same parts in our stock shelves.

OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
That is semiconductors, and specifically those USA made ones tend to be digital in nature like microcontrollers etc. The semiconductors you are likely to find in your amp are not USA made. Again, if you have some part numbers from your amp, I'd really appreciate the part# - chances are we have the same parts in our stock shelves.

call Dick over at Benchmark... they source from a lot of the same places as McIntosh... he said an overwhelming part of the electronics are not from China... same thing I was told by Tim Deis at McIntosh.. Malaysia is the closest thing to low cost parts you'll find in their products, except for the Tubes, "some" of which come from China. McIntosh told me ALL metal work, including heat skinks are USA, and local in NY.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
call Dick over at Benchmark... they source from a lot of the same places as McIntosh... he said an overwhelming part of the electronics are not from China... same thing I was told by Tim Deis at McIntosh.. Malaysia is the closest thing to low cost parts you'll find in their products, except for the Tubes, "some" of which come from China. McIntosh told me ALL metal work, including heat skinks are USA, and local in NY.
I did say that McIntosh made all their metalwork, and I did revise my "made in China" to be "not USA". Look, I like McIntosh a lot and have some of their gear, and I truly wish US manufacturing was what it used to be, but that just isn't the case anymore. Even JBL, where I used to work, is a hollowed out shell of what it once was when I was there. It used to be an awesome sight walking the manufacturing floor and witnessing all the electronic, woodworking and metalworking activity going on. Same thing for Altec Lansing which did almost everything in house except for some metal casting and making the Alnico magnets. My earliest memory from there is seeing a long workbench with a dozen or so women hammering laminations into transformer coils with large wooden mallets. ;)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
This is eye opening.... I think too many have written off the US as a place where stuff like this is made..

https://www.semiconductors.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/SIA-White-Paper-Made-in-America.pdf

Made?

I read a little of this, to the point where I went uh-huh.

Example:

1608144626503.png

"Note: Market Share based on headquarters of a seller, i.e. foundry output not included in market share."

My "state of the art" I7 CPU bought a couple of years ago, by a Great American Company - Intel - was made in Costa Rica. What?

I have nothing against Costa Rica or Costa Ricans (that I know of). I can be easily swayed, though.\

1608146168112.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_manufacturing_sites

Last edited:
Reactions: wje
OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Made?

I read a little of this, to the point where I went uh-huh.

Example:

View attachment 99629

"Note: Market Share based on headquarters of a seller, i.e. foundry output not included in market share."

My "state of the art" I7 CPU bought a couple of years ago, by a Great American Company - Intel - was made in Costa Rica. What?

Intersting and odd to say the least... I suppose NAFTA (North American) might be a factor here? I mean, global is fine (for me)... just not when sweatshop labor and a total disregard of the environment is where we ship production to...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I mean, global is fine (for me).

Maybe your "good job", if you have one, hasn't been exported yet.

Or, if you did, like I sorta did, maybe it just wasn't exported soon enough to affect you.

OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Maybe your "good job", if you have one, hasn't been exported yet.

Or, if you did, like I sorta did, maybe it just wasn't exported soon enough to affect you.

oh they've tried to export my job... like they did with the shipping (merchant Martines, etc..).... it's called Cabotage .. Thankfully (for now) .. airlines are part of the national security apparatus and pilots who want to fly US airline/airplanes have to move to the US and live, and work here... which I'm fine with.

But again for me it's not about USA as much as it's about fair trade / and fair practices.. We can't have it both ways... a free market in China, and a fully regaled and burdened with bureaucracy environment in the US (and other western nations, Japan and Korea)..

jomark911

oh, it's clear who is smarter... the 1.5 billion people who's standard of living has skyrocketed why the average western worker is doing worse than he's ever done... Thanks to corporate greed, lobbying of politicians, it will not change anytime soon...

Came across another great video here:

Somebody remind this bold gentleman ,who's on the steering wheel , that his company was a part of Sound united , D&M HOLDINGS at that time , from 2008 to 2015 if I remember correctly.
And all the pieces were being made in japan.
Not in the USA. Just a reminder. So we know what we talk about.

OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Somebody remind this bold gentleman ,who's on the steering wheel , that his company was a part of Sound united , D&M HOLDINGS at that time , from 2008 to 2015 if I remember correctly.
And all the pieces were being made in japan.
Not in the USA. Just a reminder. So we know what we talk about.

If I'm wrong, I"m happy to see your proof... but the owners of McIntosh were just that.. owners, the company and factory were always based and built in New York.. That's like saying The Empire State building is made in Japan because it was bought by Japanese.

Reactions: wje

jomark911

No no no , do a little research and you'll find out , it was part of D&M Holdings.
Regardless of the Empire state building being and built where it is.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
No no no , do a little research and you'll find out , it was part of D&M Holdings.
Its owned by an Italian company now, and previously by D&M Holdings. This selling of companies like McIntosh is sad, but globalization is the reality now. The audio company where I work is 100% American owned, at least for now.

OP
MDAguy

MDAguy

Forum Donor

Sorry, confused.. So you're telling me (us)... that McIntosh amps and other gear from that era., were made in Japan? or Assembled in the USA of Japanese parts? or?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sorry, confused.. So you're telling me (us)... that McIntosh amps and other gear from that era., were made in Japan? or Assembled in the USA of Japanese parts? or?
AFAIK, they were built in Binghamton. Maybe subassemblies were farmed out, don't know, but Japan assembly would be extremely expensive.

dfuller

Major Contributor

I have nothing against Costa Rica or Costa Ricans (that I know of). I can be easily swayed, though.\
So... this in particular is a little more complicated. The CPU die itself probably was made in the US - most of Intel's foundries are here. But, it was probably assembled onto the package substrate and had the IHS attached in Costa Rica, because it's cheaper to do so there.

Anyway, as far as semiconductors, the most bleeding edge state-of-the-art stuff is done not in the US mostly, but rather in Taiwan - TSMC is the most advanced foundry in the world. Admittedly apparently their new 5nm fab is going to be in Arizona, IIRC...

jomark911

I'm saying that at that time they were made in japan.
If they had another assembly line in the us , that I don't know.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Back of Mac amp says Binghamton NY.

AFAIK the business ownership may have changed hands in recent years, but the amps are still manufactured in Binghamton.

(Stax in Japan was bought by a Chinese company but amps still made in Japan).

Top Bottom