• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp Balanced vs Fully Balanced, real difference?

kiyu

Hi Guys,
I guess this topic was discussed before but I couldn't find it.

Apart from the power benefit on fully balanced Amps, (up to 4 times) there is another benefit?
examples
Balanced:
Topping A30 pro ( or most of the smsl sh 8/8s/9)

Fully Balanced:
Topping A90, Sinxger SA1

I "read" some comments like: " crosstalk is much better on Fully balanced" "fully balanced is more punchy/ more body on the music".
so guys what do you think?
Are there differences between Fully balanced and balanced?

I think the A30 pro is powerful enough to handle 95% of the headphones in the market, so which will be the point of getting the A90?( maybe if you have the 5% remain maybe?)

Thanks!!

stubaggs

Forum Donor
Hi Guys,
I guess this topic was discussed before but I couldn't find it.

Apart from the power benefit on fully balanced Amps, (up to 4 times) there is another benefit?
examples
Balanced:
Topping A30 pro ( or most of the smsl sh 8/8s/9)

Fully Balanced:
Topping A90, Sinxger SA1

I "read" some comments like: " crosstalk is much better on Fully balanced" "fully balanced is more punchy/ more body on the music".
so guys what do you think?
Are there differences between Fully balanced and balanced?

I think the A30 pro is powerful enough to handle 95% of the headphones in the market, so which will be the point of getting the A90?( maybe if you have the 5% remain maybe?)

Thanks!!

If you have not already, you may want to check out Amir's video on Understanding Balanced Audio, original thread is here.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Amp Balanced vs Fully Balanced, real difference?
I might have an idea of what "fully balanced" means, but I'll let someone else answer.

With a balanced output you can get 4 times the power from a given voltage but most manufacturers just double the voltage. A balanced output also eliminates the need for an output-capacitor when you have a single power supply (instead of positive & negative supplies). But again, that's just a design choice.

I "read" some comments like: " crosstalk is much better on Fully balanced"
You can't' generalize.
"fully balanced is more punchy/more body on the music".
Those words don't have "real" meanings. We can talk about noise, distortion, frequency response, etc. And again, you can't generalize. There are many ways to make a good amp and many ways to make a bad amp.

jmaz87

"all the power needed" isn't a quantifiable statement and neither is your "preference"

there are plenty of balanced amps with enough power for "most" headphones but by no means "all the power one would need"

Is the A30Pro even fully balanced? I though people mentioned its topology to be otherwise... even so its still very powerful and transparent

IMHO its main benefit other than more voltage potential is common-mode rejection and ground loops are easier to break since GND on a balanced cable is only a shield and not signal return like Single-ended implementations.

a lot of cheaper SE Headphone amps are plenty powerful and crystal clear. I have a couple L30's and an atom and couldn't be happier for their prices.

for me balanced is to get rid of USB ground loop @E30 via RCA to powered monitors... ground loops suck

aandres_gm

"all the power needed" isn't a quantifiable statement and neither is your "preference"

there are plenty of balanced amps with enough power for "most" headphones but by no means "all the power one would need"

Is the A30Pro even fully balanced? I though people mentioned its topology to be otherwise... even so its still very powerful and transparent

IMHO its main benefit other than more voltage potential is common-mode rejection and ground loops are easier to break since GND on a balanced cable is only a shield and not signal return like Single-ended implementations.

a lot of cheaper SE Headphone amps are plenty powerful and crystal clear. I have a couple L30's and an atom and couldn't be happier for their prices.

for me balanced is to get rid of USB ground loop @E30 via RCA to powered monitors... ground loops suck
The A30 Pro has a single ended headphone output, with an XLR connector for convenience. The input implementation is balanced.

Power is quantifiable and if I'm not mistaken, the A30 Pro produces more than enough power to drive (almost?) every headphone in the market to beyond comfortable hearing levels.

jmaz87

Power is quantifiable and if I'm not mistaken, the A30 Pro produces more than enough power to drive (almost?) every headphone in the market to beyond comfortable hearing levels.

who disputed this??? we know u can measure output and I even said A30Pro was very powerful... for its price I'm disappointed it isn't fully balanced but your not debating that...

what am i missing here

Top Bottom