• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amount of volts needed to use Purifi amp without buffer

thanossapiens

Hi guys,
this is probably really simply but just to be sure I want some confirmation.
This amp has 12.8db of gain which is roughly 20x.
So, if my speakers can take a maximum of 50 watts at 6 ohms, then a 4 volt output from a dac(which is normal for XLR), will be enough, I assume?
Since 4 volts at 6 ohms is 2.6watts, which will become ~52 after passing through the amp?
Or is my logic completely flawed?
Thanks

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If the amplifier has 12.8dB of gain, it has a voltage gain of 4.37 times.
So, if you input 4 Volts, you will get out 17.46 Volts.
17.46 Volts over 6 ohms is only 50.81 Watts.

To obtain the full rated power (425W@4R/1% THD) of the module without a buffer, you'd need a preamplifier capable of swinging 13.34V RMS or 37.74V peak to peak. I know of a small number of traditional preamplifiers capable of that. Most preamplifiers have internal rails of +/-12V to +/-15V and top out around 8-10V RMS.

The module should not be used without a buffer as its input impedance is also too low as it stands. 2.2k SE or 4.4k Bal.

Last edited:
OP
T

thanossapiens

Thanks for your reply.
I guess a 6 volt dac with a 100 ohm output, like the Gustard A18, ought to be enough then? I have seen people here say that a 10x difference in impedance is enough, and its double of that, in this case.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Your "50W/6Ohms" don't work by the way, since there is no "6Ohms" speakers whatsoever.

His speaker is a 6R nominal impedance. There are, and have been plenty of 6R nominal rated loudspeakers. I have several myself.

OP
T

thanossapiens

Anyways, amount of watts aside, is this actually a bad idea? If its like 100 ohms, wouldn't it be "better"(even if unhearable), since an extra component will be eliminated?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyways, amount of watts aside, is this actually a bad idea? If its like 100 ohms, wouldn't it be "better"(even if unhearable), since an extra component will be eliminated?
Measurably, yes. But you can't hear any difference between this:
Purifi 1ET400A Class-d Amplifier Module No Pre-gain Audio Measurements.png

And this:
Purifi 1ET400A Class-d Amplifier Module Audio Measurements.png

... Not to mention your DAC doesn't output enough voltage as @restorer-john said. Whatever max power handling or impedance, you will just need this extra gain with the Gustard.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom