• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It this one still on the todo list?
Yes, it was already shipped and hopefully it gets delivered today.

BTW, turns out this was the package that missed delivery on Saturday, not the tube headphone amp. Not sure what the status of that unit is. So I will proceed with a test of CTH against O2 and will repeat against the tube amp if it arrives soon.

Sythrix

Aune S6 DAC and headphone amplifier

Will this be in the running anytime soon? Looks pretty impressive for the price.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I didn't buy that one. I bought the Aune S7 amplifier. For some reason massdrop had them paired in their listing. And yes, the S7 review will be coming soon (was playing with it today).

Sythrix

I didn't buy that one. I bought the Aune S7 amplifier. For some reason massdrop had them paired in their listing. And yes, the S7 review will be coming soon (was playing with it today).

Sounds good. We’ll get an idea of their engineering prowess.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Will this be in the running anytime soon? Looks pretty impressive for the price.
Correction: I confused my Aunes!!! :D I do have the S6 DAC and amp. Will review it later.

Sythrix

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

mikehoopes

I see you have the Radsone EarStudio ES100 relatively high on the list. I haven't yet seen any 3rd-party measurements for that one. I read here that you haven't established a protocol for evaluating wireless products. That does open up a big can of worms for a category that likely doesn't Venn-diagram well here; measurements with psychoacoustic lossy codecs are difficult to contextualize. LDAC is as close to non-perceptual as it can currently go, without a wire. That said, the ES100 also integrates a USB DAC @ 16 bit/48 KHz, so that might fit in.

However, I am very interested to see how it measures against other budget amplifiers that also advertise the ability to drive 300 Ohm loads (ES100 with the balanced 2.5 mm output, 2x voltage limit). The FiiO E10K doesn't claim to do it, but I and some others have had middling success driving the HD 650 with it. I'm also using a Magni 3 with the Topping D10 as a source. The Schiit Fulla 2 is yet another potential comparison.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I see you have the Radsone EarStudio ES100 relatively high on the list. I haven't yet seen any 3rd-party measurements for that one. I read here that you haven't established a protocol for evaluating wireless products. That does open up a big can of worms for a category that likely doesn't Venn-diagram well here; measurements with psychoacoustic lossy codecs are difficult to contextualize. LDAC is as close to non-perceptual as it can currently go, without a wire. That said, the ES100 also integrates a USB DAC @ 16 bit/48 KHz, so that might fit in.

However, I am very interested to see how it measures against other budget amplifiers that also advertise the ability to drive 300 Ohm loads (ES100 with the balanced 2.5 mm output, 2x voltage limit). The FiiO E10K doesn't claim to do it, but I and some others have had middling success driving the HD 650 with it. I'm also using a Magni 3 with the Topping D10 as a source. The Schiit Fulla 2 is yet another potential comparison.
This review will be quite extensive due to factors you mention. The codecs have big impact even on "stationary" signals so I am still refining what I do there.

I should say the support from the company has been fantastic. So on that basis alone, I would recommend its purchase :).

mikehoopes

This review will be quite extensive due to factors you mention. The codecs have big impact even on "stationary" signals so I am still refining what I do there.

I should say the support from the company has been fantastic. So on that basis alone, I would recommend its purchase :).

@wslee of Radsone has been quite instructive in the EarStudio thread on Head-Fi, though it's been radio silence from him there since the mods took down some content he had posted in early July.

They continue to add features. They just updated the device firmware to v1.4.1 last night to add 16/44.1 USB DAC mode (Windows), [edit] 24/48 (macOS), among other things.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@wslee of Radsone has been quite instructive in the EarStudio thread on Head-Fi, though it's been radio silence from him there since the mods took down some content he had posted in early July.

They continue to add features. They just updated the device firmware to v1.4.1 last night to add 16/44.1 USB DAC mode (Windows), 24/44.1 (macOS), among other things.
Thanks. I wonder why support is limited to 16 bits on Windows and not MacOS. Would have made my testing much simpler if they had supported 24 bit on Windows.

D

Deleted member 65

Measurement of a Discrete OPAmp in the Topping D10 would be nice to see ... ;-)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Measurement of a Discrete OPAmp in the Topping D10 would be nice to see ... ;-)
Along those lines, before I embark on that project, is the Topping D10 the right platform to do this testing? It will be a lot of work so I want to make sure there is value in it. From what I have read here, only the I/V conversion op-amp is socketed. The buffer stage is not.

D

Deleted member 65

Along those lines, before I embark on that project, is the Topping D10 the right platform to do this testing? It will be a lot of work so I want to make sure there is value in it. From what I have read here, only the I/V conversion op-amp is socketed. The buffer stage is not.

Whichever way you choose, woud be nice to see this measured ...
994DiscreteOpAmp.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom