• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

I have purchased the Motu 8a. I will need to try a few things (streamer connectivity) with it first but please add it your list. What time-frame do you think you're at these days? I think it could be enlightening to compare to the Hilo and Benchmark for a multichannel D/A option. which is significantly less expensive.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm

I have purchased the Motu 8a. I will need to try a few things (streamer connectivity) with it first but please add it your list. What time-frame do you think you're at these days? I think it could be enlightening to compare to the Hilo and Benchmark for a multichannel D/A option. which is significantly less expensive.
Great. I am pretty swamped right now so give me 3-4 weeks and then check with me.

zandm7

@amirm I know you're busy, but just wanted to ask if you've ever thought of reviewing and measuring the JDS Labs Element?

Also, sorry in advance for bugging you about this but I was wondering if you're planning on doing the Micca OriGen G2 review soon, or if that's still deep into your backlog. No rush, I'm mostly just curious about what your timeline looks like for future reviews! Thanks again for all the work you do for this community, we're all better off for it :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I know you're busy, but just wanted to ask if you've ever thought of reviewing and measuring the JDS Labs Element?
Plenty of times. :) I really like to test it but don't have one. I also have such a long backlog that I am hesitating to purchase more stuff that i can't review. Remind me in a month or two and I will reconsider. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, sorry in advance for bugging you about this but I was wondering if you're planning on doing the Micca OriGen G2 review soon, or if that's still deep into your backlog. No rush, I'm mostly just curious about what your timeline looks like for future reviews! Thanks again for all the work you do for this community, we're all better off for it :)
It is deep in the backlog but please make these reminders. This is how I gauge the interest level and hence priority for reviews.

Next up btw will be two portable DAC and headphone amps from Sony and Teac.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I’d like to see us hunt for the most popular kit , popular with audio enthusiasts by volume sold.

No agenda to debunk claims just take on the highest volume of sales kit.
We have limited time and resources so no point indulging low sales volume gear imo..

So if we are asked to measure some obscure bit of kit that only a few have , we should reject it.

bakker_be

I’d like to see us hunt for the most popular kit , popular with audio enthusiasts by volume sold.

No agenda to debunk claims just take on the highest volume of sales kit.
We have limited time and resources so no point indulging low sales volume gear imo..
Sounds reasonable, but how are you going to know what sells most? And sells most where, US, UK, Europe, Worldwide, ...?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sounds reasonable, but how are you going to know what sells most? And sells most where, US, UK, Europe, Worldwide, ...?
The forums u.s based so I’d prioritise that market, then Europe ..

I guess sales volume will have to be gauged by reputation but maybe we can find some numbers from somewhere.

Did you watch the Japan game ?

Svperstar

When I switched from PC to Laptop for good I went from Creative X-Fi Elite Pro to Dragonfly 1.2. Around the same time it became very trendy to trash the Dragonfly and say how terrible it is. Never had any issues with mine. Got a Modi Multibit for curiosity sake and to my ears the Multibit was warmer but they were 90% the same.

Its so cheap hopefully someone can donate one, would love to see a Dragonfly 1.2/another model compared to a Modi or Topping.

Svperstar

weikagen

Yes I have. At least I think I have as it is still in its massdrop box. :)

Great! I hope the Aune S6 DAC is close to your next couple of reviews ;)
I'm thinking (and hoping) it will perform similar to the the Topping DX7s and RME ADI-2 DAC.
It has the AKM AK4495 DAC chip similar to the RMI ADI-2 DAC, which has the AKM AK4490.

Very curious of its performance . It could probably be one of your reference DACs in your future reviews. :)

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm, any interest in measuring and tearing down my example of the venerable Mytek 192 DSD? I would be pleased to ship it to you if there is interest.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Olli

Forum Donor
OK, I am losing track of what all I have bought that needs reviewing/writing. :) So I thought I create a thread on them and give you all an opportunity to also opine as to which you want done next. Not that I will listen to you, but it might be a form of therapy for you! :D

I think this is more or less is it.

The MiniDSP review would be super intersting. I have bought a DDRC 22D and it is fantatstic. I just saw the announcement of the SHD, which would be up on my list as the next buy. I am wondering how good the DAC section is and how the PS does (it is a switch mode PS in the SHD, only the SHD studio is ready for an external solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom