• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

モメ口匕工匚 = exotic

Or...

upload_2018-3-11_18-27-1.png

boonips

Amir,
Do you have any plans on testing the iFi micro iDSD Black Label, in addition to/after the iFi nano iDSD Black Label?
I would also like to suggest the El Dac/Element.

Last edited:

RobP

Yes, I do have one and plan to test it. As I grind through the backlog of loaned gear, I am getting closer to test it.

Also very interested in your review of the Google Chromecast Audio digital output as well, thanks! And if you have the time ;-) and interest, would be great to checkout the combo of GCA and the previously reviewed (and not recommended) iFi S/PDIF iPurifier which is said by many to improve the sound of the GCA given that its output is high in jitter. I have a GCA and I bought the iPurifier before seeing your review (having read a near-euphoric "what a time to be alive" recommendation of the GCA/iPurifier combo by an audio blogger) and the improvement (if any) is not consistently audible to my ears, unfortunately for me and my departed $149, although I'm not doing a blind test. Would be nice to see the actual measurements.
16/44.1 PCM on laptop -> Plex cast -> WiFi -> GCA -> iPurifier -> DAC vs ...GCA -> DAC (Quad CDP-99 digital input - Crystal 24/96 DAC chip)

Last edited:

Zilfallion

I MAY, not sure yet, end up buying an EL DAC in the next month or so. If I end up grabbing one, I'd be willing to send it in for a couple weeks to get measured. I just love their customer service, and that knob on the Element/EL Amp.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir,
Do you have any plans on testing the iFi micro iDSD Black Label, in addition to/after the iFi micro iDSD Black Label?
Yes. I purchased it to compare to a Chord Mojo but that offer did not come through. Once I get through my current backlog, I will review it. :)

THis has been suggested before. Not yet in the purchase plan though so loan offers would be appreciated. :)

boonips

Yes. I purchased it to compare to a Chord Mojo but that offer did not come through. Once I get through my current backlog, I will review it. :)
I meant to ask if you had any plans to review the iFi nano and the iFi micro. I read that you were trying to test the iFi nano.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also very interested in your review of the Google Chromecast Audio digital output as well, thanks! And if you have the time ;-) and interest, would be great to checkout the combo of GCA and the previously reviewed (and not recommended) iFi S/PDIF iPurifier which is said by many to improve the sound of the GCA given that its output is high in jitter. I have a GCA and I bought the iPurifier before seeing your review (having read a near-euphoric "what a time to be alive" recommendation of the GCA/iPurifier combo by an audio blogger) and the improvement (if any) is not consistently audible to my ears, unfortunately for me and my departed $149, although I'm not doing a blind test. Would be nice to see the actual measurements.
16/44.1 PCM on laptop -> Plex cast -> WiFi -> GCA -> iPurifier -> DAC vs ...GCA -> DAC (Quad CDP-99 digital input - Crystal 24/96 DAC chip)
I own the 2nd iteration of the iPurifier (iPurifier 2) and its pretty sucks tbh. I can't hear a single SQ improvement on my DACs (Audio-gd R2R-11, Chord Mojo, Stoner Acoustics UD125, SMSL iDEA) and I tried to sell it off but nobody wants to take it off my hands.

Toppings

Suppose someone (me) sent you a Topping Nx4 DSD for review a week or two from now. Given your backlog, how long would you expect the measurements to take?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Suppose someone (me) sent you a Topping Nx4 DSD for review a week or two from now. Given your backlog, how long would you expect the measurements to take?
It usually takes me a week to make measurements, post them, and make sure there is no feedback that requires access to the equipment before returning it. Assuming you are in US. I ship back using USPS priority which takes 3 days to get back to you.

dc655321

Major Contributor

Neat! I pulled the trigger on one of those about a week ago.
I was also going to reach out to @amirm about possibly testing the device.
Once I've had a chance to enjoy it, that is... ;-)

Dismayed

It usually takes me a week to make measurements, post them, and make sure there is no feedback that requires access to the equipment before returning it. Assuming you are in US. I ship back using USPS priority which takes 3 days to get back to you.

That seems a bit optimistic!

Sythrix

:) He was saying he would send it to me when I am done with the current backlog. But yes, guilty as charged.

I think what he meant was, what is the current turnaround time with your current backlog. Like do you have months and months of loaned items ahead of you to address before you can start working on something new?

At least that's how I took it.

I am also interested. Not to rush you, but to get a general idea since hopefully you will be receiving something from me in the near future.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think what he meant was, what is the current turnaround time with your current backlog. Like do you have months and months of loaned items ahead of you to address before you can start working on something new?
Little hard to tell at the moment. I have been ill for the last few weeks and at the same time got a ton of gear to review both in person and through mail. The disease is progressing toward the end but unfortunately it is extremely uncomfortable and gets worse when sit at my desk. If I had been healthy i could have gone through a lot more gear by now.

Once I get better I can get a better idea of throughput. For now, I say I have a few weeks worth of gear to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom