• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir. Will you add my Schiit Lyr to the list? No pressing need to get it back, but I am looking forward to a Schiit-free life!
Hi there. My apologies for not adding it to the list. I tend to be that way with loaned equipment. :) Fixed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Arrange an ASR Group Buy of Topping D50 ... ;-)
:)

I prefer to not have a commercial relationship with Topping. So you all should do this on your own. Create a thread and get people to say yes to it and then take the collection to Topping. I am sure they will be responsive without my involvement.

Jimster480

Major Contributor

I prefer to not have a commercial relationship with Topping. So you all should do this on your own. Create a thread and get people to say yes to it and then take the collection to Topping. I am sure they will be responsive without my involvement.
yes exactly, if there are enough people on the forum here who wish to buy it I am sure they will be responsive to it.

@amirm can you add my SMSL M8 & xUSB to the list?
I also sent you my Fulla2 (but its already on the list as Fella2)

You can also remove some things from the list or make a "Completed" section:

DX7
D50
Bryson BDA-2
DragonFly Black
Korg MR-2000S

The K1 you started to do tests on so.... maybe that will be the next one you finish and then you can put it in completed aswell lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

Not easy to convey jokes across all routers & firewalls between us all ... ;-)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
yes exactly, if there are enough people on the forum here who wish to buy it I am sure they will be responsive to it.

@amirm can you add my SMSL M8 & xUSB to the list?
I also sent you my Fulla2 (but its already on the list as Fella2)

You can also remove some things from the list or make a "Completed" section:

DX7
D50
Bryson BDA-2
DragonFly Black
Korg MR-2000S

The K1 you started to do tests on so.... maybe that will be the next one you finish and then you can put it in completed aswell lol
Thanks. I made the corrections.

Thierry Bidault

Hi Amir,
Don't forget the FDA amp like SMSL AD18 and FX Audio D8020 :)
Thank you for your work!

OK, I am losing track of what all I have bought that needs reviewing/writing. :) So I thought I create a thread on them and give you all an opportunity to also opine as to which you want done next. Not that I will listen to you, but it might be a form of therapy for you! :D

I think this is more or less is it.

Rthomas

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

Do you know anything about the NAD C510?

Seems to be reasonably priced with zero audiophile hype..
Maybe a good performer??

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No I do not. Took a quick look and like the fact that it has HDMI input. Unfortunately it doesn't have any analog inputs which makes it odd for a pre-amplifier. At $1,300 list price it is way up there relative to my meager budget. :)

FourOpposums

I believed you mentioned that you had a Google Chromecast to test- many home people who use it for lossless streaming in their house are wondering if the built-in dac is really worse than the external dac they're (I'm) feeding it to. I'm sure Google engineers are good enough to not release trashy hardware.

Also because they're taking the world by storm and many influential ahem friends of Schiit are praising their sound, it would be big community service to see how their dacs hold up. As well as the emperor's socks and every other piece of clothing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believed you mentioned that you had a Google Chromecast to test- many home people who use it for lossless streaming in their house are wondering if the built-in dac is really worse than the external dac they're (I'm) feeding it to. I'm sure Google engineers are good enough to not release trashy hardware.
Yes, I do have one and plan to test it. As I grind through the backlog of loaned gear, I am getting closer to test it.

As to Google, I don't think they designed this. Likely it was designed in some shop in Taiwan with Google specifications and software. Looking at PCB pictures of it online, there is no copyright or mention of Google which makes me think this is true. If anyone knows otherwise it would be good to know. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yes, I do have one and plan to test it. As I grind through the backlog of loaned gear, I am getting closer to test it.

As to Google, I don't think they designed this. Likely it was designed in some shop in Taiwan with Google specifications and software. Looking at PCB pictures of it online, there is no copyright or mention of Google which makes me think this is true. If anyone knows otherwise it would be good to know. :)
Google actually does select the specs and gives them to companies to build.
I know that the original Chromecast chips are made by Marvell who designed them specifically for Google to their spec.
Google is a big enough buyer that they can get everything done custom for their designs.
So its not off the shelf stuff just thrown together (atleast not all the parts). But this doesn't mean its going to be superior to everything else either :)

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
Hey Amir, have you received the Topping D10 already? The drop is cative again and I'm really tempted to buy one.

Dismayed

Hi Amir. Where in the queue is my Schiit Lyr? I'm going to sell it after you're done measuring it so that I can be Schiit-free.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Where's my T-Shirt?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir. Where in the queue is my Schiit Lyr?
You are confusing me with someone more organized when you ask me for any kind of queue. :D

I can say that the guilt of not yet measuring it is running high. :D So stay tuned...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey Amir, have you received the Topping D10 already?
No. Tracking says it will be delivered a week from now. It is sitting in New Jersey some place....

Dismayed

You are confusing me with someone more organized when you ask me for any kind of queue. :D

I can say that the guilt of not yet measuring it is running high. :D So stay tuned...

Maybe Schiit amps are better than their DACs. It's destined for eBay, though, no matter how it measures.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you ever heard of Mola Mola DAC? It doesn't seem to be either R2R or DS type of DAC. But its specs are remarkable though, its appears to be the ultimate objectivist DAC.
DSGrmcQ.png

EDIT: The standalone DAC model is Mola Mola Tambaqui, and it measures a little worse than the one that comes with its Makua preamp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom