• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am getting extreme pressure to measure Topping D50 and a few other bits. Folks know where I live so my life may literally be in danger if I don't test their stuff!!! :D
I am with wombat on this. Once we have figured out what DACs at different price buckets measure well, there may not be much more ROI for you, Amir. But it's your time, your site, so I can only suggest :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have any Audio-gd gears on the radar? Their NFB-11 is so popular you should add it on your list.
Yes. I have a N27.38 monster of a box on loan to review. Welcome to the forum by the way.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am with wombat on this. Once we have figured out what DACs at different price buckets measure well, there may not be much more ROI for you, Amir. But it's your time, your site, so I can only suggest :)
Unfortunately it is easy to screw up a chip DAC with a poor implementation so verification is still necessary. Also these DACs amps have differing features that may attract one person vs another.

Appreciate the feedback anyway. :) Currently I am driven by boatload of loaned equipment which I need to review and then return so the course is setting itself more or less for now.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes. I have a N27.38 monster of a box on loan to review. Welcome to the forum by the way.
Thanks for the welcome. I don't see the NFB-27.38 on the 1st post though, maybe you should update it or is it long way down the review pecking order it doesn't deserve a spot on the list;)?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the welcome. I don't see the NFB-27.38 on the 1st post though, maybe you should update it or is it long way down the review pecking order it doesn't deserve a spot on the list;)?
Yes I noticed it was missing. I just updated the list. I often fall behind on that list when it is loaned equipment.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Yes I noticed it was missing. I just updated the list. I often fall behind on that list when it is loaned equipment.
Cool! NFB-27.38 is the bigger brother of the NFB-11 so it is exciting to see how good it'll fare in measurement tests. Do you have the permission from the owner to do a teardown review of the unit? Audio-gd products have great craftsmanship in them, so close-up pictures with your analysis should be very entertaining.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Cool! NFB-27.38 is the bigger brother of the NFB-11 so it is exciting to see how good it'll fare in measurement tests. Do you have the permission from the owner to do a teardown review of the unit? Audio-gd products have great craftsmanship in them, so close-up pictures with your analysis should be very entertaining.
I will ask to see what he says.

bunkbail

Forum Donor

Zilfallion

Unfortunately it is easy to screw up a chip DAC with a poor implementation so verification is still necessary. Also these DACs amps have differing features that may attract one person vs another.
Yes. We've seen this with the Modi 2's poor USB implementation despite the AKM AK4490 that we also saw do fairly well in the OL DAC at the same price.(Although the OL DAC is listed as a AK4490EQ, which may be different, but should be close enough for this comparison). The actual implementation and design of the board around the DAC chip can greatly change how well it performs is something I learned from this site.

chungjun

Good to be here and appreciate the resources / points of view shared.

Most will want to know and I'm wondering... with all these build-up of reviews / measurements / data / resources, at some point will there be an 'objective' ranking for DACs here on ASR?

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have a DAC3. A forum member here has one and is visiting me in June and he may bring it then.

For now, if there is an explosion of donations, I don't think I will be in a position to purchase it anytime soon.

And yes, it gets superlative reviews including great measurements from stereophile.

Zek

Major Contributor
How I understand your recommendation is based on the measurement/data of the device, can you possibly do a blind test of listening to these devices in front of a panel of 4-5 people?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How I understand your recommendation is based on the measurement/data of the device, can you possibly do a blind test of listening to these devices in front of a panel of 4-5 people?
Levels would have to be matched for such a test which I am not yet setup to do.

Also where we live there is only my wife and two dogs. Would you accept the dogs as the substitute for those humans??? :D

iridium

Levels would have to be matched for such a test which I am not yet setup to do.

Also where we live there is only my wife and two dogs. Would you accept the dogs as the substitute for those humans??? :D

Dogs percentage wise:
>>> greater common sense than humans
>>> unconditional love for the better [screw aesthetics]
>>> quality of hearing
>>> inately know not to touch [lick] the tubes
>>> etc. / this list could be long

Brings on the dogs.

There is actually a good amount of seriousness hear; a dog test could be great.

iridium.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That all sounds good. Problem is, how do I force them to keep the headphones on???

Mine don't act like this:

dog-wearing-headphones.jpg

Zek

Major Contributor
Why are you testing only with headphones and not with amplifiers?

Dismayed

Hi Amir. Will you add my Schiit Lyr to the list? No pressing need to get it back, but I am looking forward to a Schiit-free life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom