• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The problem is I can't sleep at night with this model.
Your not supposed to sleep with it, your supposed to sell it. :)

drconopoima

Forum Donor
That's wonderful. Perhaps I should follow a similar pricing model for the code I write with different tiers - For $2500 I will write one function that is bug-free and performance is optimal. For $1250, I will provide the same function with a few bugs and average performance. For $300, I will give you bugs and some working code that crawls to completion. The problem is I can't sleep at night with this model.
Well, now that results are posted you know for sure that you could still sell your 'optimal and bug-free' code at a higher price range. Just make sure to claim that it is their fault in using the lower-end code in a wrong way by expecting the best results before several days worth of warm-up period.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
That's wonderful. Perhaps I should follow a similar pricing model for the code I write with different tiers - For $2500 I will write one function that is bug-free and performance is optimal. For $1250, I will provide the same function with a few bugs and average performance. For $300, I will give you bugs and some working code that crawls to completion. The problem is I can't sleep at night with this model.
Neither could I. And I tell my customers this all the time, because I have customers who want special treatment for a higher price!

punkriot

@amirm , after some not that good tests of Schiit multibit DAC I wonder if you have access to any DAC using last true audio multibit converter BurrBrown PCM1704 24-bit? I am really interested how this will measure comparing modern to multibit and delta sigm chips? I have one, Resolution Audio Opus 21, that is using 4 BurrBrown PCM1704 24-bit converters with 16x digital filter upsamples to 705 kHz/24-bit. I live far away from Seattle, but maybe you have access to something similar? Would be fun to see if we advanced in technology or not necessary.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , after some not that good tests of Schiit multibit DAC I wonder if you have access to any DAC using last true audio multibit converter BurrBrown PCM1704 24-bit?
Well, as it turns out my ancient, circa 1999 Mark Levinson No 360S, uses dual PCM 1704s for each channel! It upsamples to half the rate of yours. I had just ripped it out of the rack to measure but guests came over and I put it back in. But I will take it out again and measure.

I have measured it in other context though. Here is an example comparing it to moder Audio/Video Receivers (AVRs): https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-deep-dive-into-hdmi-audio-performance.56/

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well, as it turns out my ancient, circa 1999 Mark Levinson No 360S, uses dual PCM 1704s for each channel! It upsamples to half the rate of yours. I had just ripped it out of the rack to measure but guests came over and I put it back in. But I will take it out again and measure.

I have measured it in other context though. Here is an example comparing it to moder Audio/Video Receivers (AVRs): https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-deep-dive-into-hdmi-audio-performance.56/
Those measurements actually look good!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The do indeed! She has been making music for me for almost two decades. :)
Can't wait for the full review, but it would really show that tech hasn't come far in the last 2 decades in terms of music.
Or maybe better yet.... that we had reached the audible limits of technology back then and now we have just made it smaller and more affordable atleast in the case of those companies selling legit products.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can't wait for the full review, but it would really show that tech hasn't come far in the last 2 decades in terms of music.

Let's see the teardown, and how much of the circuitry in it is performed by a couple of chips now...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's true but the Levinson cost $7,000 in 1999 dollars! If we can get that for $500, it would indeed be a lot of progress on affordability but as you say, not much so in fidelity.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let's see the teardown, and how much of the circuitry in it is performed by a couple of chips now...
There is a ton of discretes in there. Funny story.

One day I walked into my den where I kept it and started to smell what seemed like a dead rat! It was horrible. Searched everywhere in the room but could not find anything. That scent remained for a few days.

I then went to power the No 360S DAC and noticed one channel was out/distorted. Opened it up and noticed one electrolytic cap had exploded its guts and it was that which stunk to high heaven!!!

Here is a picture of it:

Mark Levinson DAC Bad Cap IMAG0046.jpg

Didn't have an exact voltage replacement cap so put in the next higher voltage cap. Since it was bigger I kludged it up so not sure I want to show the results of my work! :D

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Opened it up and noticed one electrolytic cap had exploded its guts and it was that which stunk to high heaven!!!

That one is ... incapacitated.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
what's the hold up with budget headphone amp measurements? i demand answers
I am caught between too many popular demands! :) And a lot of loaned gear that needs to go back.

Which one are you most interested in?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

tili

I am caught between too many popular demands! :) And a lot of loaned gear that needs to go back.

Which one are you most interested in?
Well then you should pick one from the loaned gears. Things I'm looking at are FiiO Q1, FiiO A3, things like that, budget and internationally available. I know Magni 3 is probably the most anticipated but I don't care about that, won't be buying Schiit(not internationally available anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom