• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keltere

New SMSL Sanskrit 10th dac with AK4490 for 90$
Interesting colors choise
asd.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SMS...490-hifi-amplifier-audio-dac/32922141880.html

vinlat

It's maybe not the best thread for this comment and maybe not first time you get such request but I think it would be nice if you create your own picks list. A list of very few pieces (like 3) into DAC, Amps and combo solutions categories. Not a ranking, not a price oriented selection but just some technically objective recommendations with one sentence per each product as reasoning for the choice.
Then I personally would like to see measurement of Creative X7 (300€ now) vs Topping DX7s.

Thanks for all good info shared in this forum!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's maybe not the best thread for this comment and maybe not first time you get such request but I think it would be nice if you create your own picks list.
Welcome to the forum and yes, it is something I need to do.

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
I am looking for an amp(s) for my Magnepans and I came across NuForce STA120 and STA200. The STA200 seems to have worse specs, but costs more. But the STA120 is Class D and the STA200 is Class AB. It might be a lot to ask to measure both these, but it seemed like a good opportunity to compare different Class amps that are similar in price and specs (relatively) and made by the same company.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am looking for an amp(s) for my Magnepans and I came across NuForce STA120 and STA200. The STA200 seems to have worse specs, but costs more. But the STA120 is Class D and the STA200 is Class AB.
As it happens, I have a Nuforce STA-200 in for review. Give me a few days and I will get the measurements out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I bet they'd just send you one to review
Which one, creative? All else being equal, I really like to get equipment from members than companies.

wadec22

Which one, creative? All else being equal, I really like to get equipment from members than companies.
Yeah, creative.

Wouldn't you rather test a new unit that you know hasn't been abused, dropped, wired incorrectly, etc?

Sythrix

Wouldn't you rather test a new unit that you know hasn't been abused, dropped,

Abused, dropped... we are talking about a bunch of audiophiles and their DACs. While I'm sure there's some natural wear, but abuse? Drops? If something were dropped significantly enough, then it's likely the DAC wouldn't work at all. They're circuit boards, so unless they employ tubes in the DAC circuit, it's unlikely any kind of drop would affect performance on a measurable level, rather than outright killing it.

wired incorrectly, etc?

Wired incorrectly? If something is wired incorrectly it's because of the company and their QC, which should be treated exactly as it stands. Do you think testing all golden samples by companies would be better? I personally don't want to read about all tests done on pristine, pre-screened review samples. I want to know how their equipment, that they send out to actual people, measures. Regardless, some of the equipment here is still sourced from manufacturers, but I will say I trust the ones coming from members a bit more than those.

Otherwise, we're talking about DIY and mods, which can be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Amir's going to find out pretty quick if something isn't performing the way it should, as he did with the Jotunheim and its absent case grounding. He isn't some random reviewer.

wadec22

Abused, dropped... we are talking about a bunch of audiophiles and their DACs. While I'm sure there's some natural wear, but abuse? Drops? If something were dropped significantly enough, then it's likely the DAC wouldn't work at all. They're circuit boards, so unless they employ tubes in the DAC circuit, it's unlikely any kind of drop would affect performance on a measurable level, rather than outright killing it.

Wired incorrectly? If something is wired incorrectly it's because of the company and their QC, which should be treated exactly as it stands. Do you think testing all golden samples by companies would be better? I personally don't want to read about all tests done on pristine, pre-screened review samples. I want to know how their equipment, that they send out to actual people, measures. Regardless, some of the equipment here is still sourced from manufacturers, but I will say I trust the ones coming from members a bit more than those.

Otherwise, we're talking about DIY and mods, which can be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Amir's going to find out pretty quick if something isn't performing the way it should, as he did with the Jotunheim and its absent case grounding. He isn't some random reviewer.
Maybe my examples are poor, but you are talking about used equipment. Sure most of us treat our gear with kid gloves but you don't know that about everyone and all situations.

I'd rather see a used review than no review at all. But new vs used? Doesn't seem close to me.

For any site referring to "science", your evaluation should be as controlled as possible and new is more controlled.

To each their own I guess.

Veri

Master Contributor
For any site referring to "science", your evaluation should be as controlled as possible and new is more controlled.

Amir's point was he prefers new from users, to new from manufacturer (pre-tested, cherry-picked etc...).

Some gear reviewed here so far was used, but most were new or recently purchased. Few items were old.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe my examples are poor, but you are talking about used equipment. Sure most of us treat our gear with kid gloves but you don't know that about everyone and all situations.

I'd rather see a used review than no review at all. But new vs used? Doesn't seem close to me.

I see what your saying but there’s a bit more to it ..,

A. We don’t want some cheery picked sample , we want what regular folks have
B. Having direct relationships with manufacturers can be compromising, if the results aren’t good it can cause issues and then you can get acused of impartiality too.

It’s ‘cleaner’ to get things from members , if we get results out of whack from expectation we can investigate and maybe find another sample.

Sythrix

I understand your reasoning, but these circuits tend to work the way they're supposed to, until they don't anymore. If a cap blows or something gets too old, it's goodnight for the DAC. Science wise, I think we stand a better chance at getting a fair representation from user samples, than all golden samples from manufacturers.

Few items were old.

and if they are that old, old enough to be significant, they probably aren't available anymore.

wadec22

Amir's point was he prefers new from users, to new from manufacturer (pre-tested, cherry-picked etc...).

Some gear reviewed here so far was used, but most were new or recently purchased. Few items were old.
Makes sense

I see what your saying but there’s a bit more to it ..,

A. We don’t want some cheery picked sample , we want what regular folks have
B. Having direct relationships with manufacturers can be compromising, if the results aren’t good it can cause issues and then you can get acused of impartiality too.

It’s ‘cleaner’ to get things from members , if we get results out of whack from expectation we can investigate and maybe find another sample.

I get all that. Totally agree when being purchased and sent to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom