• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Amir's Recommended List

pozz

Patreon Donor
Editor
This list comprises @amirm's product recommendations. Outside of performance, there are plenty of reasons to buy, like convenience, ease of use and features, so the pros & cons tend to get convoluted. Just because a product doesn't show up here doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it. Still, the focus here is on quality audio-focused engineering.

The categorization matches that of the master review thread. I'll need help here with listing the correct prices (original MRSP, not the latest sale price) and entries.

A * indicates that the item is recommended but that the price is higher than what you could otherwise pay. Sort of a marker of luxury.

Portable
DAPs
Cellphones
Portable DACs/Amps
“Thumb Drive” DACs
Headphone Dongles (USB-C to 3.5mm Adapters)
Non-Portable
AV Receivers/Processors
Blu-ray Players
Big DACs
Bareboard DACs/Streamers
Dedicated Desktop DACs
Desktop DACs/Amps
Desktop ADCs/DACs
Headphone Amps
Integrated Amps
Power Amps
Preamps
Phono Stages/Preamps
Streamers & Servers
Miscellaneous
Audio Analyzers
Car Receivers
Cable Tweaks
USB Converters (to S/PDIF, TOSLINK, AES/EBU, I²S, etc.)

Last edited:

Daverz

"Both Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 are recommended for budget friendly choices in headphone amplifiers"

Veri

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
Awesome, we finally have the well sought after and referenced 'recommended list' ;) awesome.

One nitpick, about inclusion of Spectra X I don't really see amir really recommending it but maybe I'm missing it.

pozz

Patreon Donor
Editor
"Both Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 are recommended for budget friendly choices in headphone amplifiers"
Added.
One nitpick, about inclusion of Spectra X I don't really see amir really recommending it but maybe I'm missing it.
Maybe I should add a * or something to indicate "recommended but expensive"? It holds for a bunch of items.

Edit: Added some *s just as placeholders for now.

Last edited:

Hugo9000

pozz

Patreon Donor
Editor
The SMSL M100 was accidentally placed in the "Desktop DAC/Amp" category, but it's just a desktop DAC. No volume control, no headphone or speaker output. (I've owned one for six months and love it, by the way, so I recommend it as well haha!) @pozz ! :)
Fixed. I wonder if I screwed it up in the other thread, too.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks @pozz. Should this thread be linked to home/review page? If so, we need a widescreen graphic to go with it. Any suggestions? A bunch of panthers together??? :)

Daverz

Added.

Maybe I should add a * or something to indicate "recommended but expensive"? It holds for a bunch of items.

Edit: Added some *s just as placeholders for now.
Also, perhaps, "recommended with reservations", though that is a judgement call.

pozz

Patreon Donor
Editor
Also, perhaps, "recommended with reservations", though that is a judgement call.
Yea, it's something I considered but that category will include many more entries than "recommended but expensive". I'd be compelled to add individual notes like "recommended, but don't use TOSLINK".

Top Bottom