• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's preferential treatment of MQA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Instead of polluting other discussions, lets end this debate once and for all – is @amirm defending MQA and treating if unfairly in his reviews? @bidn has provided the basic claim in this post:

If people could enlighten me, there one 2 things I don't quite understand as they don't seem to be really consistent to me o_O.

First, re. such huge ultrasonic artifacts:
- On one hand, during the fantastic TotalDAC discussion on ASR this summer ( the whole thing was so incredible that I read the 100 pages twice!, and that really motivated me to join ASR :cool:), such ultrasonic components were found out, a few subjectivists said that it didn't matter as they cannot be heard, yet what I perceived as the "dominant", "enlightened" view an ASR was that it was really bad :facepalm: because it could quite negatively affect the electronics of further devices (e.g. an amp for speakers) downstream or the behavior of transducers ( tweeter, headphones).
- On the other hand, when it is created by MQA it is OK because it cannot be heard :).

Second, re. apparently fraudulent marketing claims:
- When this is the case with a device such as Schiit, TotalDAC, PS Audio, it is really bad :facepalm: (and OK to speak of " scam ").
- With MQA it would be OK because part of the necessary marketing discourse for establishing a new standard :).

My question is how one comes to the conclusion that MQA is treated differently? I would be happy to see direct quotes of him addressing a similar defect in a measured product and in an MQA measurement, and interpreting them differently (especially in favor of MQA).

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must have missed it, but what huge ultrasonic artifacts does MQA have?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The next 5 yr. or so of internet BW and storage improvements will totally obviate MQA so this discussion can only cause hard feelings and has no real purpose.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The next 5 yr. or so of internet BW and storage improvements will totally obviate MQA so this discussion can only cause hard feelings and has no real purpose.
When a 3 TB hard drive is $30 and cable internet is over 50 Mbps, is there even a reason now?

Shorty

In France, I'm at the end of a 6 mile telephone line. On a good day, my internet connection is at 800 kbps. I can’t even listen to Spotify and open an internet page at the same time....

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In France, I'm at the end of a 6 mile telephone line. On a good day, my internet connection is at 800 kbps. I can’t even listen to Spotify and open an internet page at the same time....

OK, but MQA uses just as much bandwidth as a lossless FLAC file...

noobie1

The streaming advantage of MQA is largely an afterthought even now. Those who tout MQA typically do it for sonic benefits. I find MQA to be largely an annoyance because I cant easily apply room correction to MQA files in my current setup.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The streaming advantage of MQA is largely an afterthought even now. Those who tout MQA typically do it for sonic benefits.

Indeed - totally unproven and unverified supposed benefits.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Uh, don't we have enough MQA pissing-contest threads already? Let me guess just how this one will progress...

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must have missed it, but what huge ultrasonic artifacts does MQA have?
The filters used for rendering give results that look almost like a filterless NOS DAC. See what @mansr posted here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?do=findComment&comment=979926
1572379456784.png

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Fixed it for you
The next previous 5 yr. or so of internet BW and storage improvements will totally obviate MQA so this discussion can only cause hard feelings and has no real purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom