• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's Music Server Build Thread

ArthB

Hello Amir, what's your isolated USB interface to DAC? What type and manufacturer?

sritacco

I've been using Synology small NAS devices as file servers for music for over 10 years.
They are quiet, low power and super reliable. I have two now, an older one serves as my backup and both have SSD storage.
I have less than a thousand CD's ripped to FLAC format, and they work really well as file servers for Sonos and now Volumio.
I'm starting to add some higher res track now, but anyway, they are reasonably priced and do a great job.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh, this thread. I recently stopped using the Synology NAS for backup as I don't want my backup data "live" all the time. Now it's on a disk that's turned off and stored away. A little more hassle, but safer.

As for the media server duties, that will eventually be moved to the PC itself and the NAS retired.

I agree though they are great units. Loved mine for over 10 years now. Very convenient.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello Amir, what's your isolated USB interface to DAC? What type and manufacturer?
It was a USB Alpha to AES adapter. Sadly it broke a couple of years ago and I no longer use it.

ArturoKiwi

Ahh, this thread. I recently stopped using the Synology NAS for backup as I don't want my backup data "live" all the time. Now it's on a disk that's turned off and stored away. A little more hassle, but safer.

As for the media server duties, that will eventually be moved to the PC itself and the NAS retired.

I agree though they are great units. Loved mine for over 10 years now. Very convenient.
Hi, why you wrote that your data was "live"? If you don't use dynamic dns and/or open port on your router, your data remains in your locale lan.
You could also close the ports on your router, so that you will be more secure

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hi, why you wrote that your data was "live"? If you don't use dynamic dns and/or open port on your router, your data remains in your locale lan.
You could also close the ports on your router, so that you will be more secure
"Live" would be powered and connected. If you're trying to protect your data against power issues or ransomware you probably don't want this.

Digby

Major Contributor
One way to do this, if somebody wanted to do it a fair bit cheaper, would be to use more typical components and a few very slow, quiet fans. You can run quality fans under 500rpm and, with the right case, they would be essentially inaudible from more than 20cm away. Moving some air on a large heatsink will drop temperatures on the CPU quite drastically and forgo the need for a heatsink type case. A properly filtered case with all unnecessary holes covered with tape, dust issues are very minimal (a very fine layer that needs cleaning say every 6 months or so - no tumbleweeds here).

One could save around $400 dollars by moving just a very small amount of air, essentially inaudibly and using more typical components and opening the case for a little dusting half yearly.

It is a very nice, truly silent build though. How warm does the case get to the touch at maximum usage load?

MOCKBA

Do not forget about M1 based devices. They do not need any fan, and runs faster than any other PC. It isn't even required, but... Regarding price? If considering refurbished one from Apple store, then $600 budget is enough. Although I use Raspberry Pi now, I consider switching to M1 in a year, or two.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do not forget about M1 based devices. They do not need any fan, and runs faster than any other PC.
For workloads with fewer than ~4-6 threads. The higher core-count AMD Ryzen processors are faster overall.

But you are right that the M1 is very good and may make a good server. My only reservation is that it's Apple and the PC ecosystem regarding software and hardware is larger and so you have more options there. Especially if it will be used for other things.

Bokke

What a brilliant thread
I wanted to build hdplex h5 but could not find stock so got the fc10 alpha based on this article.
Really pleased also. It's a brute
IMG-20210812-WA0008.jpeg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Really pleased also. It's a brute
Nice, would could you please share the component content?
One of these days I'm going to build a new box for myself.
The one I'm running now I built back in 2008. :eek:

Bokke

Nice, would could you please share the component content?
One of these days I'm going to build a new box for myself.
The one I'm running now I built back in 2008. :eek:

Hi no problem
Streacom fc10 alpha case and copper cooling pipes.
Motherboard: Asus z390 gaming board. Only because they are built to handle a lot of shit going on.
I7 65w processor to run DSP although ATM is an i3 I had spare and is working ok. Please note with the i7 and this mother board I may need to use a cooler riser (£30)
16gb ram ddr4 but could manage with 8
Hdplex 400w fanless DC - atx and hdplex AC - DC

Now comes the snake oil and not needed
I may put in a usb PCI card but haven't decided.
The reason is to build for little money a product better than any hifi streamer like innous zenith etc costing loads for cheap crappy motherboards etc.

Os Linux running jriver 160gb m.2 drive
2 tb SSD for music files.

Amir's spec would be cheaper though so you can go with that or if you want super cheap just go for intel nuc with silent case/cooling.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I7 65w processor to run DSP although ATM is an i3 I had spare and is working ok. Please note with the i7 and this mother board I may need to use a cooler riser (£30)
That's a lot of processor to run silent, what is a cooler riser, I'm not familiar with the term?
Thanks for the info!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry for late reply. It was a Berkeley Alpha bridge. It died a while ago so I switched to another and it was just as good. I now use DACs with USB input so nothing is in use now on that front.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

phile2

hello,
sorry for not having read all this thread...

Question to Amir : do you still run a dedicated audio server ?

I ask you that because (I read the first pages) :
- although I found nice the audio server you built (nice work)
- I see all these audio servers more like a fashion / a trend where a lot of people goes
because as we can see on any forums :
> people upgrade their server from time to time, and finaly the final cost goes higher & higher (often way to high vs "audio perf", according to me)
> the technical advantages & explanations vs "why it works well & leads to good SQ" remain quite blur
> technically speaking, it seems weird to build such a device (big / complicated / full of sources of noises / etc) to get out of it a very clean stream...

Question 2 : as you are quite a expert in electronics,
- don't you think, it is simplier & more efficient, to design a stream "reclocker/cleaner" (placed between a basic audio server & the player) ? A versatile "cleaner" just placed upstream the player brings more than a dedicated audio server (multiple digital source can benefit from it).
- did you investigate that kind of stuff ?
- as your bench seems to be full of nice measurement devices, did you run analysis on PCBs regarding noises / clocking & so on ? for instance on your server / FMCs / switches / network interface of your player / etc...

Within the next week I'll upgrade some of my measurement devices to do some testing on PCBs regarding noise & so on. Not sure I can see something... but I think it worth the trial.
Thanks Amir for your comment about that.
Rgds

gino1961

Hi if i remember well something i read about the Berkeley USB to AES bridge made me think. The juice of the speech was that during some testing changing the pc upstream(i.e. desktop vs. laptop) had little to no impact on the sound.

Top Bottom