• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amirm wants a automated speaker turntable/tractor feed made. Any peeps have ideas and want to help?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea was to send it around, however unless it's designed to be easily taken apart and packed flat, shipping will be prohibitive.

But think of the potential: forum members could demo speakers that Amir has measured (before looking at the graphs ideally) and we can see if subjective impressions line up where we would expect, and discuss when they diverge.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a lot of shipping expense and effort to send around. IMO a simple DIY plan is the way to go.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's pretty neat. The only trick would be to automate its remote control with repeatability.
Yes, some digital logic circuitry with limit switches would be ace.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am not worried about shipping costs. It would certainly be cheaper than building one yourself for something you may need once. This may be a very good thing for audio groups around the country to use and share the cost of shipping.

I send around huge AVRs and speakers and cost is usually below $100 and much cheaper if it is on the same coast.

Let's figure out how to build the thing for now.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Is the intention here to make polar response measurements easier? If so, it might still be less work to send stuff to Amir, given that he's got the Klippel - my understanding is that even the better DIYer options for automatic polar response can be finnicky at times (although I'd very much love to be proven wrong!).

Edit: Wait, is this a speaker shuffler? I think you can get a 50-100kg rated remote control turntable with at least a few fixed angular positions on Aliexpress/eBay/etc from China for <$100 these days...

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to have the stock motor replaced and put in a stepper motor with what appears to be a programmable stepper motor controller complete with limit controls in the form of small pots.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oriental-M...600430?hash=item3fe2c6842e:g:p6AAAOSwbqle2Tsh

Otherwise I am sure a programmable stepper motor controller is available as new and maybe even have a laptop USB connection if it is state of the art new stuff.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Isn't a package of electronics/Mike(s), consistent mounting for Mike, etc. needed for consistency/comparability?

Or am I not understand what members are to do with this thing? (Consistent REW measurements??)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't a package of electronics/Mike(s), consistent mounting for Mike, etc. needed for consistency/comparability?

Or am I not understand what members are to do with this thing?
It's for AB speaker comparison. With automated control that stops at predetermined angles that are repeatable so the same angles are used each time when switching to the A or B speaker.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. The electronics and stepper motor drive USB system that @ctrl suggested in post #2 could be integrated into the pre-made turntable I posted in post #6. The electronics are pre-designed and have USB for programming. The stepper motor in this setup is kind of noisy though. Possibly a DC drive type motor and controller is better.

Post #2
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ave-ideas-and-want-to-help.15540/#post-494676
Post #6
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ave-ideas-and-want-to-help.15540/#post-494713

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
It's for AB speaker comparison.

Before and After subjective evaluation of DSP correction on selected passive (and active?) Individual speakers? That would be interesting..

While I have great difficulty calibrating word descriptions of speaker performance into comparative results compared to numbers, a simple 'pass/fail" evaluation by members (Would you buy it? Yes/No) of a particular speaker by a number of members might be indicative to the rest of us..

Edit: In an attempt to attach some kind of perception to some of these descriptive words, I tried this:

So far, I'm overwhelmed:)

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
While my purpose was/is different, I researched (to death) an automated turntable that I could use for my speaker testing. What you guys are asking for is really nothing different.

Look for heavy duty 360-degree photography or 3-D Scanning turntables. There are a ton of them available but few that can hold the weight of large speakers and will still have to be modified for a larger platform. You just need a larger platform that will hold more weight. And that, my friends, is where the cost gets astronomical (relatively speaking). I've had my eye on one for a while but I can't afford it... hoping donations one day will make it possible.

Alternatively, you can look at industrial turntables. This company is one I reached out to and they could DIY me one but it was expensive:
https://www.xyzdisplays.com/Display-Rotating-Turntables-Rotating-Motors-s/1311.htm

This isn’t remote and it doesn’t step in increments. So you’d have to DIY a controller but it can be done.

Grainger, and other heavy duty tool suppliers will have similar items. Stuff *like* this:
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...2y7Qkw9noOrKbS14mX_e8VOqr3W4ZIWBoCOT8QAvD_BwE

Top Bottom