• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir should compare power,sound quality from a single and dual chiped amps ?

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amir should compared power,sound quality from a single and dual chiped amps ?

I remember there was a thread where you could suggest what amir should test,review but i couldn't find it so im making a new thread

What do you thing, could it be fun to see a single vs dual chips comparison tpa 3116,Infineon-MA12070

How much more sound quality and power from a dual chipped amp, it's not like a dual chipped amp can play twice as loud and handel 52 volt and 15 a (about double as a single chip is rated for)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I remember there was a thread where you could suggest what amir should test,review but i couldn't find it so im making a new thread

What do you thing, could it be fun to see a sing vs dual chips comparison tpa 3116,Infineon-MA12070

How much more sound quality and power from a dual chipped amp, it's not like a dual chipped amp can play twice as loud and handel 52 volt and 15 a (about double as a single chip is rated for)

Buy one and ship it to him for testing.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Doesn't anybody wonder what the gain would be from single to a dual chiped amp would be ?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

So it would be more interesting what you get in a dual chiped amp, since the difference in max åoer you would only notice when playing loud and having more then 2-3 db more power,wattage

Katji

Major Contributor
i think it is much the same as comparing any Class D stereo amplifiers,
because are so many variables, starting with the same amplifier chip having different modes. Stereo, Mono, 2.1 ...

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

it would just be the same amp single vs dual chip

If theres is a difference in psu change it to see if you can hear a difference

Like what do you get with a dual chip amp vs single chip amp if the power supply is the same

tomtoo

Major Contributor
[

What do you thing, could it be fun to see a single vs dual chips comparison tpa 3116,Infineon-MA12070

It would be far less than many people imagine from doubling the power. Doubling the power is nearly nothing.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

[

It would be far less than many people imagine from doubling the power. Doubling the power is nearly nothing.

I wouldn't mind 3 db higher sensitivity on my speakers, it can make a difference

atm im on -26 with 86 db and 4 ohm spakers sabaj A20 a, nearfield it's loud 8but in no way uncomfortable)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I wouldn't mind 3 db higher sensitivity on my speakers, it can make a difference

atm im on -26 with 86 db and 4 ohm spakers sabaj A20 a, nearfield it's loud 8but in no way uncomfortable)

Sure, but many people think doubling the power is a new world. Its not, new worlds start at 5 to 10 times the power.

Katji

Major Contributor
i think it is much the same as comparing any Class D stereo amplifiers,
because are so many variables, starting with the same amplifier chip having different modes. Stereo, Mono, 2.1 ...

it would just be the same amp single vs dual chip

If theres is a difference in psu change it to see if you can hear a difference

Like what do you get with a dual chip amp vs single chip amp if the power supply is the same

Same amplifier chip? (One in stereo mode, other in mono mode.)

Same power output, or you looking for 2x or x1.8x power output in the dual chip amplifier?

Or...

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I assume one 2-channel chip per channel means a bridge amplifier where the + & - outputs are driven differentially (with no ground connection to the speaker).

That means you are doubling the voltage to the speaker (assuming the same power supply) which could be 4 times the power. But, doubling the voltage means doubling the current so the amplifier chips have to be able to handle the current and the power supply has to be able to supply the current.

Typically, the chips can't handle double the current so the power supply is reduced and the net result is twice the power in a bridge configuration.

Bridge amplifiers are often used where power supply voltage is limited, such as a USB powered amplifier or with an automotive amplifier. (But high power car amplifiers have a built-in step-up converter so they are not limited by the 12V power supply.)

Generally, if you're making an amplifier it's more cost effective to use a higher voltage power supply and beefier components rather than duplicating the chips or the output MOSFETs and making a bridge circuit. But with a single-chip amplifiers you run into power limits. And, some high-power stereo are designed to be "bridged" for mono operation.

Last edited:
OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Forgot the Sabaj A10 a and A20 a both use the same chip but the 10 is a single chip amp, the 20 has 2 chips

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
not looking for anything other then how big would the diffrence in power also distortion could be interesting and sound quality be

Single amplifier chip in stereo mode, or dual [same] amplifier chips, power output could be the same (or close, like 50Wpc and 60Wpc) ...depends on implementation. iow, they do not always use it at the max//highest possible output.

Top Bottom