• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Rec List

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I keep wanting to create one but recently people started to give me grief for one of my recommendations so I am hesitant to create one.

If people understand that no one is telling them to go and buy anything, and not come back complaining to me if they don't like the device, I can create it.

OP
S

skcheng

Forum Donor
I look at it this way. You're measuring performance and analyzing build quality and practical usage. And that's what I'm here for. I know where to go if I want $6K interconnects compared sonically using the same audiofool track a million times :p:p

So please do create a list if it's not too much trouble. Thanks!!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Perhaps just a thread that includes the current SINAD, jitter, etc. charts for all the devices tested would be adequate? Look and decide for yourself.

Besides, you have to be careful getting what Amir recommends; he's cost me a fortune in speakers and lenses, and who knows what Thomas has paid for that fancy Lordship. :D

Krunok

Major Contributor
I keep wanting to create one but recently people started to give me grief for one of my recommendations so I am hesitant to create one.

If people understand that no one is telling them to go and buy anything, and not come back complaining to me if they don't like the device, I can create it.

Am I hear clicking behind this post? :D

P.S. In my eyes your recommendation of DX3 Pro was spot on.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe an ASR Favorite Products of 2018 list - perhaps a few different categories by type/price range? Calling them your favorites is likely less controversial than a Best of 2018 list. Items that you evaluated this year that you consider having good performance, design and/or value. As the senior editor, you get to determine the criteria.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just do it. Last I checked, you are not trying to impress anyone. Except may be @Thomas savage, but even that is not needed; he clearly has a massive crush on you.

EDIT: changed "doing" to "do it". Big difference :)

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
A chart with a comparative star-rating for each parameter. Let the product recommend itself.

* acceptable

* better

* superior

OP
S

skcheng

Forum Donor
I would be happy with whatever format Amir chooses. ASR Recommended List. Dacs, Amps, etc......

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

As long as you don't go to the dark side and start discussing/rating components on their sound, I can't see where anyone can bellyache.

Guermantes

Perhaps a table in ascending order of SINAD with some other metrics such as THD+N and a column for RRP would be a good go-to. That way no one can accuse Amir of bias for or against a manufacturer (not naming names here). You could do separate tables for DACs, headphone amplifiers, etc.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
@amirm I tend to say that you should shy away from creating special lists of best performing products., etc. The reviews you do are already sufficient, and the graphs already say a lot.

Otherwise, there is a risk ASR becomes like CNET — more marketing than engineering ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I tend to say that you should shy away from creating special lists of best performing products., etc. The reviews you do are already sufficient, and the graphs already say a lot.

Otherwise, there is a risk ASR becomes like CNET — more marketing than engineering ;)
I am with you there....

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm going to have to say I'm against the idea of anything smacking of "Amir's recommendations" or "Amir's favorites".

Nothing against @amirm but please please let's not turn this into a "guru" site.

If it's a listing ranked SINAD, ranked linearity, best jitter, ranked power output, that's fine.

On the other hand, I would love to see a farsical @Thomas savage favorites list because I'm sure it would be based entirely on what he can take the piss out of.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm going to have to say I'm against the idea of anything smacking of "Amir's recommendations" or "Amir's favorites".

Nothing against @amirm but please please let's not turn this into a "guru" site.

If it's a listing ranked SINAD, ranked linearity, best jitter, ranked power output, that's fine.

On the other hand, I would love to see a farsical @Thomas savage favorites list because I'm sure it would be based entirely on what he can take the piss out of.

Yes to sentence 3.

26229877_10214860054752113_3756063413641277765_n small.jpg
to last sentence.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

I agree, plus the internet is full of headlines that folks read and interpret without considering full context. Id worry leauge tables etc would make us part of a larger problem.

I like the idea people read through all the measurements and commentary. You all help each other understand whats being presented and once empowered folks make their choice.

Thats what we are about , informing people and empowering through knowledge and understanding not just giving a arbitrary number people can mindlessly absorb.

We are already dumbing down too much with far too much subjectivity and non substantiated argument.

People want convenience but they often don't understand what they sacrifice to obtain it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We are already dumbing down too much with far too much subjectivity and non substantiated argument.
The average person life are already jambed packed with duties from work to family. Perhaps they shouldn't have to spend hours on the internet combing thru technical discussions just to make a informed buying decision?
Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom