• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

@Amir - One question for you, sir!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Makes no difference. All time information is encoded at the source. I am assuming the stream contains all channels since we are talking Ethernet.
Okay, but if so, why this functionality, if not needed?

staticV3

Master Contributor

That's to correct acoustics, not to correct digital audio.

DonR

Major Contributor

Driver time alignment is done at the encoding stage before the digital stream is sent out.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Ducnguyen2k10 said that the sound itself has 4 characteristics but Amir only shows Frequency and Amplitude, not enough to judge sound difference that equipment can make. So is there anybody here prove the rest characteristics by the measurement?

If there are zero people can prove those, maybe his friends are right and you need to check your measurements and declaration.

What is the “duration” of a system than can play 20kHz?

charleski

Major Contributor
I would say "dont"- but I did......

I'm not sure, but somebody may have been on a wind up :facepalm:
Maybe when registering an account here people should have to tick a box saying, "I accept that any complex musical waveform can be fully described by the sine waves produced by a Fourier Transform." We shouldn't have to keep explaining mathematics that's 200 years old.

DanielT

Major Contributor
That's to correct acoustics, not to correct digital audio.
Driver time alignment is done at the encoding stage before the digital stream is sent out.
Wait here now, correct me if I'm wrong. Technically, sound is determined by (if I take through speakers):
Sure, but I mean the end result. When you sit and listen to music. The sharp mode, once the digital signal becomes analog and transmits to the listener via electromechanics (loudspeaker).. acoustics, how it sounds..
We probably agree, although we talk about different things, I think.:)

DonR

Major Contributor
Sure, but I mean the end result. When you sit and listen to music. The sharp mode, once the digital signal becomes analog and transmits to the listener via electromechanics (loudspeaker).
We probably agree, although we talk about different things, I think.:)
All the audio information including the driver delay is encoded before the data stream is transmitted. Any delays or time-shifting of the data stream in no way affects the resulting audio stream as long as it's reconstructed in the input buffer of the receiving DAC. You are conflating time in the audio signal with time in the digital. They are two completed different and unrelated things.

DanielT

Major Contributor
All the audio information including the driver delay is encoded before the data stream is transmitted. Any delays or time-shifting of the data stream in no way affects the resulting audio stream as long as it's reconstructed in the input buffer of the receiving DAC. You are conflating time in the audio signal with time in the digital. They are two completed different and unrelated things.
Okay and my post that you from the beginning commented did I mention the digital?

DonR

Major Contributor
Okay and my post that you from the beginning commented did I mention the digital?
The topic of discussion is a digital switch working on a digital stream. Any time information, like driver time alignment or timbre, is encoded at the source, the digital processor in your example. The switch doesn't care.

DanielT

Major Contributor
The topic of discussion is a digital switch working on a digital stream. Any time information, like driver time alignment or timbre, is encoded at the source, the digital processor in your example. The switch doesn't care.
You're right. I was OT. Best to point out because I mentioned dispersion in that post. It has to do with sound and speakers and not the digital signal itself.:)

Edit:
Is this been about how digital signals sound? (after converting them to analog signals?) I can not bear to get involved in that.:)
It's about as interesting and exciting to read about Amir's DAC tests. As long as distortion + noise is inaudible plus nail straight FR they are ok. Just check functionality then. With that said, I think it's really good that Amir is testing DACs so you know which ones are ok.:)

Edit 2:
DAC tests, a bit like reading about tests of power cords. It works as it should, costs so much. Well then I buy it, if needed.It was so exciting, to read about.:)

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I love about these conversations is that someone inevitably invokes the "there are more things on heaven and earth" line from Shakespeare. In context, that line is an argument to set aside science ("your philosophy") and have faith in the spiritual realm, so it is always way more appropriate than the speaker realizes (or intends).

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
that line is an argument to set aside science ("your philosophy")

Spot on.

As I'm sure most of us here would agree, science is not a philosophy.

As the online dictionary states, "Science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experimentation." One could further augment this with the "scientific method."

Philosophy is typically defined as "the study of all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts," or "...the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline." The analysis and study of which is done through inference rather than anything empirical.

Once could make a science of a subset of philosophical study, e.g. logic. But the opposite could never be true.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Spot on.

As I'm sure most of us here would agree, science is not a philosophy.

As the online dictionary states, "Science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experimentation." One could further augment this with the "scientific method."

Philosophy is typically defined as "the study of all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts," or "...the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline." The analysis and study of which is done through inference rather than anything empirical.

Once could make a science of a subset of philosophical study, e.g. logic. But the opposite could never be true.
Science isn't philosophy, but philosophy in this quote is the sum of observed, fundamental experience, and used in contrast to the supernatural Hamlet has seen a ghost, who has revealed a crime to him, and he is thereby convinced. Horatio, who speaks this line, finds Hamlet's story "wondrous strange", as we would also, perhaps less politely. Then Hamlet responds with the famous line, defending the "truth" of his unique, subjective experience.

Turns out the ghost was right, but it still doesn't work out so well for Hamlet.

Last edited:

sofrep811

Perfect example of someone trying to throw BS back to you to prove. Do they still teach logic in school? It’s usually needed to move out of your basic college curriculum.

I’m blown away by the simplest ignorance regarding this snake oil Regen. It’s so basic to declare as a fraud you truly don’t even need to test it. Oh well… I vented.

Gregss

Darn, so much BS and I still can't find it in me to sell to suckers and retire rich. If they don't care they are being fooled and taken advantage of, is pretty hard to feel sorry for them. And truly sad how many of them defend the husker that is selling them garbage. Oh well, just proves again you can't fix *****.

Not politically correct, but far too true.

Greg

sofrep811

Darn, so much BS and I still can't find it in me to sell to suckers and retire rich. If they don't care they are being fooled and taken advantage of, is pretty hard to feel sorry for them. And truly sad how many of them defend the husker that is selling them garbage. Oh well, just proves again you can't fix *****.

Not politically correct, but far too true.

Greg
I wish I was a psychopath and could do just that. Tho, I’d likely start a cult or become a TV preacher — that’s real money and tax free.

Top Bottom