• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir needs a Clubhouse channel

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would host an unofficial ASR Clubhouse chat, but it seems that our membership is more interested in discussion via CB radio...

Andysu

Major Contributor
I would host an unofficial ASR Clubhouse chat, but it seems that our membership is more interested in discussion via CB radio...
Well you'd need around, 1kw for me to just about hear you. I know go on midband channel 40 USB and call SQ-DX on friday night, I listen out but I only have about less than 200w as my tube needs changing so only have about 80w which wouldn't reach you... like Spock says in Star Trek II.
SPOCK: Sporadic energy readings port side, aft. So there is not really any good conditions for me to hear you from the west. I'm only picking up east side, mostly. Newt : We'd better get back 'cause it'll be dark soon and they mostly come at night. Mostly.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We could start with CB radio and then stream it online. Best of old and new!!! :D

Andysu

Major Contributor
We could start with CB radio and then stream it online. Best of old and new!!! :D
well it would be thee best measurable to see who is listening or what radio station can be heard as 10/11m band like any is unpredictable.
Buy aa Cobra 148 GTL-DX they are still regarded best CB radio. Get a 1/2 or 1/4 wave 22 footer antenna and 500w with RF boaster to boast the dB gain up with that will come some noise, and lets say 1k amplifier, oh thick coaxial and some PL-259 to solder the connectors On and no hardly any of that isn't gonna bust the Pink Panther bank. Should cost under $600 by today and that is sort of cheap compared to 80's.

The Cobra 148 GTL-DX nickname is the Snake, but it ain't no snake oil. Get one that is preferable unmodified so that be straight Low Mid High (bands) with modes CW FM AM USB LSB, usually get some good nick ones on ebay some have faceplates a little scruffy, always read the sellers sell, and no you can't send them back as mostly most will tweak them. In your case you'd be tweaking it. I not even bothered tweaking mine. They work just as I recall in the 80's.

Since you are in west side coast Seattle, the odds on me hearing you are about zero there just isn't any good propagation coming from USA and last time I heard USA was 1982.

There is what called Relay, If I can hear you, and the other station can you, But you can't hear me, then the other station will relay.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Buy aa Cobra 148 GTL-DX they are still regarded best CB radio.
Man hearing Cobra brings back memories. I must have removed the limiter in hundreds of them to output 20+ watts instead of 5. :p And repaired many microphone cables for them.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Man hearing Cobra brings back memories. I must have removed the limiter in hundreds of them to output 20+ watts instead of 5. :p And repaired many microphone cables for them.
pm sent so you may or may not get the urge to buy one?
Limiter is that so? Like a limiter that reduces the standard power. I not knew of that but I won't mess with mine. I use the amplifier to increase.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Just took this new picture. Not best with camera phone, should have used the Canon DSLR but I'm in bed and would have put the SD card in pc and I don't think I want get out of bed this is going on 5th day due to depression of the tinnitus, no thanks to Universal Pictures, sensurround in April 1979.

That is current set-up. Yes I use a JBL control 1, on the speaker output as the standard speaker sounds hollow, shallow, Yes it is measurable not that I bothered to try. It sounds tinny. Connected to the JBL control 1, sounds more natural sounding and better high frequency and mid bass on voices that are near or local, depends.

Frequency counter not yet fully wired to the radio as that will need an RCA on the back soldered to the part inside so I see the frequency before I TX. Otherwise there is coaxial so when I TX the frequency will display when RX, won't display.
A tiny antenna tuner no longer works the variable will need replacing as it caked up, due to power I was using only has 100w handling so I should have gotten one that is 500w.

The two radios Superstar 360FM I use mostly all time. Superstar 2000 that has double low and double high up into the 28MHz where only mostly CW is used and it won't do triple high where then I would hear ham radio conversation as the lower part is used for CW (morse code).

The power amp 200w bt tube needs replacing as it has done many years with original owner and myself not bad and was cheap.
The power supply not picture it is behind the stacks of gear on left has variable and prefixed power at 13.8 I tested on multimeter and it is spot on and can use up I think 15v? I have another one that was first I had in 80's but I noticed power drain when TX-ing the 13.8 dropped down some 4v.

187569045_10159156582275149_5712117313292974122_n.jpg

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

:) I think we need to figure out how to get our experts in audio measurement and review to sit down and chat with a moderator and a set of questions.

How does this sound for an approach?
1) A panel of people who are measuring components and presenting data to the public via their various mediums. Amir, Erin, Gene, Joe?
2) A set of questions submitted by the community ahead of time for them to discuss and share their perspectives.
3) A moderator to keep the hockey fights to a minimum.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I’m fine with simply doing that on my own channel, live. You guys put together the questions or have them ready to go and we can bang them out live. If I don’t know an answer, I’ll tell you and we can keep it moving.

LMK

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I honestly have no idea what Clubhouse is but I’ll just say that I already have too many accounts to keep up with. I really don’t want to sign up for yet another thing. :D. My YT channel is easy enough and I already go live for reviews so I’d prefer to just stick to that. If you guys wanna do that I’m down. If not, that’s ok, too.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You know... there's something to be said for asynchronous communication like this forum... Synchronous communication is primarily useful when outcome is an immediate action. Nothing we discuss here should have any bearing on immideate action.

But - I'm alwys ready to try new things. Often the key benefits from a new (in this case "old") thing are not necesssarily obvious and even may be peripheral to the stated objective.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
No idea what Clubhouse is, but just got an ad from snake oil company PS Audio in my FB feed, something about a new mag called "Copper". No thanks, quickly clicked on "hide all ads from this...". Maybe ASR needs a FB page.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening to clubhouse my impression is: it's like attending a live podcast recording where the audience can raise their hands and participate. So you need a topic, a panel of people someone wants to listen to discuss v said topic, and an audience. Another rendition is like going to see a comedian live or one person stage show. It's live and voice/audio driven.

Andysu

Major Contributor
The superstar360FM it is ASR measurable with my cats Magic and Bear.

Morla

Forum Donor

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Were they asking for access to your contacts to get in Clubhouse?
Like most social apps now, yes, it reads your phone numbers.

Makers of that app are clearly a bunch of Stanford clowns who wanted to make a lot of money in the "social space."

Morla

Forum Donor
the provided sample data seems to not include anything useful so maybe it's nothing.

Top Bottom