• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Movie Review: Passengers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The poor reviews of the movie Passengers almost got me to pass on it. Then I saw an add for the UHD version and decided to look up the reviews on Amazon. Surprisingly, most were pretty positive (4 out of 5 stars average). So ordered it and watched it last night:

Passengers02-174k-2.jpg

Let me tell you: ignore every negative review! This is a fun movie to watch and is a feast for the eyes!

This is the first movie that has shown me what the combination of HDR and OLED TV can do. The above bar scene is to die for. So amazingly high contrast. So colorful. So, well, amazing :).

The set design is grand, and modern as it might be in that era. Special effects are masterful and so well integrated.

Acting and story are just fine. Jennifer Lawrence as always is great to watch although she is not at the top of her class but doesn't matter :). This is not a complex story like Arrival. Indeed it is mostly the opposite of it. I actually prefer this movie to the latest Star Wars.

The soundtrack was absolutely stunning. I was playing this on my 2-channel system and the combination of music plus special effects, especially the bass, was totally incredible. Have to wonder how much better it would be in multi-channel.

The music by composer Thomas Newman is modern and atmospheric. I streamed it via Tidal on the same system and alas, much of the sparkle is gone in re-mastering to CD (Blu-ray track was 48 KHz). Still very likable though.

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed watching and experiencing the movie.

I can't recommend the combination of an OLED display and this movie enough. If you lack one or the other, you must complete the combo! :) These two are made for each other.

Recommended!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw it several days ago. I wasn't as high on it as Amir. Nor as down on it as Sal. It is everything Amir said. I even thought with a few changes it could have been a fantastic movie. They set it all up with good casting and eye candy then only sort of half way followed through on premises. Still it was an enjoyable movie for me to watch and I don't regret having seen it. I do recommend you watch it.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Let me tell you: ignore every negative review! This is a fun movie to watch and is a feast for the eyes!

This is the first movie that has shown me what the combination of HDR and OLED TV can do.

Thanks for the recommendation, watched first half of it yesterday and the other half today. The visuals are really amazing. Likely the most beautifully shot HDR movie I’ve seen. The surround sound was good too, especially when they were passing the red star!

garbulky

Major Contributor
The poor reviews of the movie Passengers almost got me to pass on it. Then I saw an add for the UHD version and decided to look up the reviews on Amazon. Surprisingly, most were pretty positive (4 out of 5 stars average). So ordered it and watched it last night:

Passengers02-174k-2.jpg

This is the first movie that has shown me what the combination of HDR and OLED TV can do. The above bar scene is to die for. So amazingly high contrast. So colorful. So, well, amazing :).

The set design is grand, and modern as it might be in that era. Special effects are masterful and so well integrated.

Acting and story are just fine. Jennifer Lawrence as always is great to watch although she is not at the top of her class but doesn't matter :). This is not a complex story like Arrival. Indeed it is mostly the opposite of it. I actually prefer this movie to the latest Star Wars.

The soundtrack was absolutely stunning. I was playing this on my 2-channel system and the combination of music plus special effects, especially the bass, was totally incredible. Have to wonder how much better it would be in multi-channel.

The music by composer Thomas Newman is modern and atmospheric. I streamed it via Tidal on the same system and alas, much of the sparkle is gone in re-mastering to CD (Blu-ray track was 48 KHz). Still very likable though.

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed watching and experiencing the movie.

I can't recommend the combination of an OLED display and this movie enough. If you lack one or the other, you must complete the combo! :) These two are made for each other.

Recommended!
Passengers was Native 4k even its digital itnermediate.
Having said that there are nicer 4k discs you may enjoy. Check out Men in Black International 4k and the new Lion King. Both excellent looking.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it was a grossly underrated movie. I loved the visuals. You can’t beat 4K HDR on an 85” set! :)

Martin

rajapruk

Forum Donor
This was the worst movie I saw this year, content-wise :)
But I only have 1080p SDR projector with blu-rays.
I liked Oblivion, very nice picture, sound, and story.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Aside from the visuals on my OLED TV, it made me think about the guy's predicament.
Me too. Quite a quandary. Makes one wonder what choices we would make in that situation.

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Definitely agree!

It got bad reviews because it was seen as not "politically correct." :rolleyes: Which doesn't make any sense anyway if one pays attention to the end...

It does become altogether "conventional" in Act 3, but the stakes and tension are ramped up, so I wouldn't call that part of the film ineffective.

Production design is absolutely "out of this world" and for "built-in" architectural lighting the entire world's stock of LED's must have been used--OK, I exaggerate but there is a LOT of it.

One of my favourite sci-fi films of the 2010's and MUCH better than last year's "Rise of Skywalker" (or the 4th flop of a Terminator sequel; Tim Miller tried, but alas "Dark Fate" indeed...)

Last edited:

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I saw it in the movie theater. Then watched it again at home on my OLED tv maybe a half year ago. Only positive memories. Really nice and fun thing.

Top Bottom