• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

amir makes splash on reddit

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am fascinated that some of you know how loud I listen. How did you get that information? How do you know how loud is loud?

How do you know how loud we think you are listening to is? :p

I think its the way you describe things in your speaker listening tests - something like "the woofer started bottoming out". That does seem kinda loud :)

So, HOW LOUD IS THIS?!!!!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you know how loud we think you are listening to is? :p

I think its the way you describe things in your speaker listening tests - something like "the woofer started bottoming out". That does seem kinda loud :)

I know you're kinda joking, but it is just one speaker being listened too though, so that's around 6dB down on how you might interpret that if you're referencing listening in stereo.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the reasons I was a bit wary of ASR getting into headphone reviews was that headphone enthusiasts are the lamest, nastiest and dumbest of all audiophile subgroups, which is saying something.

raif71

Major Contributor
One of the reasons I was a bit wary of ASR getting into headphone reviews was that headphone enthusiasts are the lamest, nastiest and dumbest of all audiophile subgroups, which is saying something.
Now, now...I'm sure not all are like that :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now, now...I'm sure not all are like that :)

No, of course you/we aren't, but as a group they rank pretty high. Full range driver voigt pipe guys, SET amp guys, Nelson Pass devotees, cinema horn fetishists, I'll take any of them over the average internet headphone guy. It's not even close. The constant arguing, the never ending 'upgrading', the pathetic 'modding'...it's all just so nasty.

Maki

No, of course you/we aren't, but as a group they rank pretty high. Full range driver voigt pipe guys, SET amp guys, Nelson Pass devotees, cinema horn fetishists, I'll take any of them over the average internet headphone guy. It's not even close. The constant arguing, the never ending 'upgrading', the pathetic 'modding'...it's all just so nasty.
Hey modding is fun. Otherwise yeah, total agreement.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You frequently describe listening at extreme levels and how much you enjoy it. That would be how people know.
So you don't know how loud I listen. You just think it is "extreme levels." Maybe you listen as whisper levels and think anything else is extreme.

You also seem to confuse testing with listening for enjoyment. For testing, I do crank up the level to find the limit of equipment. For headphone amps for example, I try to push the volume up for a second or two to see if the amp clips before the headphone does. Yes, that can sound good but I darn well know not to keep listening at that level as I can feel the stress instantly on my hearing system. For you to exaggerate this to me "listing at extreme levels and enjoying it" as if I do that all the time is completely out of line. It is the same nonsense reddit poster ran with.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

With small speakers? Not loud at all. They bottom our very easily on sub-bass where our hearing threshold is extremely high. All my testing is done in an open space with the rest of the family and dogs present. I do not do any testing that is extreme because of that.

Note that when I ran sweeps on speakers indoors at far lower levels, the whole family revolted from my wife and dogs! :) It is the mid to high frequencies in the sweep that cause us to run away from loudness. Bass is not that.

Many times when I am sweeping a speaker at first I hear nothing until the frequencies go up. When I test open-back headphones, I start testing levels at 425 Hz which I can clearly hear while the headphone is on the fixture (NOT my head). I then switch to 80 Hz and it is nearly silent a few feet away. This shows the massive differential in our sensitivity based on frequency.

Haven't people run pink noise on their AVRs and listen for loudness difference between the sub and mains?

raif71

Major Contributor
With small speakers? Not loud at all. They bottom our very easily on sub-bass where our hearing threshold is extremely high. All my testing is done in an open space with the rest of the family and dogs present. I do not do any testing that is extreme because of that.

Note that when I ran sweeps on speakers indoors at far lower levels, the whole family revolted from my wife and dogs! :) It is the mid to high frequencies in the sweep that cause us to run away from loudness. Bass is not that.

Many times when I am sweeping a speaker at first I hear nothing until the frequencies go up. When I test open-back headphones, I start testing levels at 425 Hz which I can clearly hear while the headphone is on the fixture (NOT my head). I then switch to 80 Hz and it is nearly silent a few feet away. This shows the massive differential in our sensitivity based on frequency.

Haven't people run pink noise on their AVRs and listen for loudness difference between the sub and mains?
speaker-character-sweeps-floor-white-background-d-illustration-speaker-character-sweeps-floor-144382495.jpg

paolomo

Forum Donor
Many things get conflated, when it comes to headphones:

- They are "affordable", they get a lot of people into the hobby

- The market is comparatively big, because such hobbyists are many and they may own several pairs of headphones (guilty as charged)

- Because of how big the market is, biased reviewers are more biased than ever and objective reviewers are seen as pariahs

- Just like in other social contexts, once a critical mass of users is reached, users like taking sides and fighting wars to feel entitled

- As a feedback mechanism, further purchases and opinions are fueled by these rivalries, and the circle closes.

In three words, "lamest, nastiest and dumbest", as you put it.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know you're kinda joking, but it is just one speaker being listened too though, so that's around 6dB down on how you might interpret that if you're referencing listening in stereo.

I was really just joking but you do make a valid point. There is no way Amir is going to risk hearing damage - at least I hope not, the world needs his ears!

Top Bottom