• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Buys a New Audio Precision Analyzer (APx555)!!!

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking at the front and the blank face plates. I'm assuming that depending what you want to do it with it you can add optional modules for additional functions? Given the cost and a narrow market it isn't surprising they want to be able customize to what customers need (and can afford).

Yes, the product page on the AP website shows that there are some other modules available for Bluetooth testing, etc.

I'm very curious what silicon is under the hood of the x555 and how it differs from the silicon under the hood of the 2522. Despite my curiosity, I imagine that a comparative teardown of the two units would not ingratiate @amirm with the kind folks at Audio Precision.

EDIT: Here is a video teardown of the 2522 with audio in French.

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thomas sounds jealous. Just give him your old unit to fondle :p

Amir, your dedication to measurements is much appreciated. Thanks for keeping this industry honest.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good news. Now you'll learn just how good Schiit products really are. I think you should immediately retest all the Schiit gear first, and update the results.
o_O

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but maybe the measurements will now align with AtomicBob and Jude's. Sorry I am all for more people measuring things, but I will have to question when one set of measurements does not align with two others.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, you read it right: I now own a second and the latest state-of-the-art analyzer from Audio Precision, the APx555.
WOW, Congrats! That was a huge investment in the gear. The audiophile community owes you a big debt of gratitude for making this purchase only to further the understanding of todays High Fidelity world.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm looking at the front and the blank face plates. I'm assuming that depending what you want to do it with it you can add optional modules for additional functions? Given the cost and a narrow market it isn't surprising they want to be able customize to what customers need (and can afford).
Yes. There are a number of options that can go there such as HDMI, Bluetooth, digital I/O (For automation), etc. Some of the other things that can go there are already standard in my unit. They use the same enclosure for the lower-end unit where they are placed as options. You can see them populated in the loaner APx525 (on the bottom):

index.php

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Where’s the ‘patron donor’ link, it is time I contributed.

Keith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Done, although it isn’t going to make much of a dent in the cost of the new unit, I just want to add, that I really respect what you are doing, ASR educates, informs and entertains.
Really you should now get some advertising from FOO cable manufacturers!
BW Keith

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Amir - man, you really are serious. We greatly admire and respect you for it.

Congratulations on your new baby. We all, and the audio industry, if they are paying any attention, which they really should, will greatly benefit from this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks a bunch. My hope is that the pressure of what we do here will eventually result in a lot more manufacturers performing it themselves in design verification and documentation on their sites. I already see signs of this. Ultimately before I really retire, the industry puts me out of my job! :D

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Thanks a bunch. My hope is that the pressure of what we do here will eventually result in a lot more manufacturers performing it themselves in design verification and documentation on their sites. I already see signs of this. Ultimately before I really retire, the industry puts me out of my job! :D

Will you take apprentices? Your expensive gear is used tops 20 percent of the time?

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Congratulations, Amir :)
I once attended an AP seminar/workshop in Anaheim where Tony Spica was the presenter.
Heck of a nice guy! :cool:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
@amirm , can your AP tool be used to measure cables (without adding another box)? My point is this: Samsung made a design choice recently to send all TV signals via optical fibres:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...sories/televisions/vg-socm15-za-vg-socm15-za/

My hunch is that optical, say toslink, is ideal for audio because these cables are thin, flexible, delicate to touch and an aesthetic pleasure compared to bulky audio cables. However, in audio circles - on ASR as well? - there is skepticism towards optical. Some believe optical cables need to be short, yet the Samsung cable is 15 meters.

So could you use your AP to measure signal integrity over optical cable? Both without a box at the end and with a box (with great reclocking etc.)?

I believe myths on optical being inferior are to be slayed.

Maybe all ASR members will start using optical for audio?

;)

elberoth

Congrats! Enjoy your new toy!

Top Bottom