• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir’s System?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure nothing would please this site's founder more than the establishment of a Cult of Amir :facepalm:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My Berkeley Alpha USB converter died a while ago. My main DAC is now Topping D90SE. The Matrix kept acting up when I switched tracks. Have not had time to contact them to see what is up. My main Mark Levinson Monoblocks are broken as noted. So I use the Stereo ML amp. You can see a picture of my system as of last year here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-lyngdorf-roomperfect-eq.6799/

index.php

I didn't realize people are looking at my profile which is 5+ years old. Will update at some point.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Berkeley Alpha USB converter died a while ago. My main DAC is now Topping D90SE. The Matrix kept acting up when I switched tracks. Have not had time to contact them to see what is up. My main Mark Levinson Monoblocks are broken as noted. So I use the Stereo ML amp. You can see a picture of my system as of last year here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-lyngdorf-roomperfect-eq.6799/

index.php

I didn't realize people are looking at my profile which is 5+ years old. Will update at some point.
I do remember someone asking what your vinyl set up was :) I was expecting a bigger room somehow....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do remember someone asking what your vinyl set up was :) I was expecting a bigger room somehow....
The "room" volume is massive. It extends 2 to 2.5X behind the camera. And it is in a loft with huge volume. As a result, room modes are quite mild.

If you mean the width, yes, I am limited by that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "room" volume is massive. It extends 2 to 2.5X behind the camera. And it is in a loft with huge volume. As a result, room modes are quite mild.

If you mean the width, yes, I am limited by that.
Yes I think the width was throwing me off....but we all have weird rooms for houses we didn't purpose-build,, eh?

ps those that did achieve that goal please ignore my comment :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I read somewhere that he uses Mogami cables in his system. I could be wrong.
XLR I assume. Could be. Nothing wrong with Mogami though, just a decent name-brand cable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sure he alway run this ML and Reveal with sinewave and look at graphs everyday.
Wait...I run a swept sine through my system every other day or so. Is that unusual? ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you expecting to have changed?
I play with the crossovers and EQ sometimes. They're active speakers based on a loudspeaker management system, so it's a matter of turning dials.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

index.php

Probably not even worth getting the Berkeley Alpha repaired, but the Levinson Monoblocks still have to worth a pretty penny. Kind of shocked they gave out. I remember back in the '70's every dealer I ever talked to about Levinson gear always led with how they're made with "better than mil-spec parts." Maybe not so much, after all.

rbg

index.php

Hello. I am new here, so maybe missing it, but have you ever measured and published those ML amps? Thank you.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

index.php

Chances are you may yell "anathema!" but here I go: do you use those beauties for films and TV shows too? Because it must sound amazing. :)

Another detail I´d like to ask and perhaps you may even dig deeper with some deeper knowledge: does the type of wood on floors change the interactions or is the difference negligeable compared to other materials (such as tiles)?
I have read many often times that bamboo floors do not alteer sound as much as oak or pine tree, but for all I know, the difference may be minimal, particularly if you add a rugh on the front just like you show in the picture.

Waxx

Major Contributor

index.php

I don't doubt they sound good, but what an ugly looking speaker. So ugly it would become an issue for me because it distract me from the music... And those amps don't look good neighter (but that is not a big issue for me).

But if you don't mind, have fun with it and don't mind my opinion...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't doubt they sound good, but what an ugly looking speaker.
Right? But Amir is a good guy, so he can just send them to me. Free of charge! I'll take one for the team.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A dead giveaway that Amir only listen to test tones, not to music

View attachment 245300
Lol yeah. My microphone stays on its stand in the listening room. I'm sure his dummy load is there somewhere, so he can listen to that.

I wonder why did Amir bought expensive ML amplifier when he could bought state of the art measurement wise class d amp (for a fraction of the price of the ML)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder why did Amir bought expensive ML amplifier when he could bought state of the art measurement wise class d amp (for a fraction of the price of the ML)
I believe those MLs are pretty old. Plus, he may get Harman stuff at a discount.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People keep asking this. It’s there for the searching, people. There’s another new thread TODAY with a picture of it.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I believe those MLs are pretty old. Plus, he may get Harman stuff at a discount.
The ML monoblocks No53 and the stereo amp No532 are amps that were sold 10-15 years ago. So yes, this are older amps from a time class D in general was not superior yet, and that Amir did not test systems yet. And no, you don't need to upgrade if something better is arround. Many people run older systems and are totally happy with it. It's the same with me, my Marantz amp is from 2007, my Goodmans speakers are from 1976 but i bought them second hand in that same year as my Marantz. And most of my other gear that i bought new also got a certain age and does the job. The newest gear i have that are not diy is a small SMSL SA36 amp that i bought 2 years ago. Next on my list is a Topping E30 to replace a 15 years old Steinberg UR22 that starts to sound aged (but was abused in all knid of envirroments as dj soundcard). I also got an older Cambridge DacMagic that already is in my main system, that will move to my office system when the E30 is bought.

And my father is still using his old Warfdale Linton XP3's since he bought them new in 1975 and they are still full ok (only rebuild the crossover a while ago). And he used the Dual (=an old brand) receiver amp he bougt that same time untill it felt appart. Now he has a Denon receiver amp that he bought somewhere in the late 90's when that happened, and a Marantz cd player that he has for about 10 years now. And if those can last untill he dies (he's in his 70's), he won't replace them. That is how most people deal with audio gear.

Top Bottom