• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

American microbrew fresh-brewed in Wuhan

Lao Lu

I just found this at a local 7-11 in Beijing. I had not heard about Goose Island brewing in China. Place of production is the recently ravaged epicenter of the virus that is still wreaking havoc globally. I raise a glass in the hope that the rest of the world's cities will soon be virus free like Wuhan, and I also toast to what is a delicious reminder of what happens when we cooperate rather than seek discord.
IPA ii.jpg
IPA.jpg

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that the scale of this operation is anything resembling micro, but still it is cool that you can get this beer in China. Do you get other American Beer at your 7-11? What about British or European brews?

OP
Lao Lu

Lao Lu

I doubt that the scale of this operation is anything resembling micro, but still it is cool that you can get this beer in China. Do you get other American Beer at your 7-11? What about British or European brews?
I just noticed on the can that "百威“, Budweiser, is the parent company, so you are undoubtedly right about the fact that it is certainly not a micro-brew. Before coming to Beijing I spent twenty years in Seattle and some of those early micro-brews became regional brews over time. In regards to the Brits and the Continentals many have long been available here, with the lighter tasting Germans and Belgians perhaps more acceptable to the Chinese palate. I am picky, and I must say that it was a fresh and tasty IPA.

OP
Lao Lu

Lao Lu

It should be evident that I have no idea how to control a camera nor how to properly post a photo; my apologies.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just noticed on the can that "百威“, Budweiser, is the parent company, so you are undoubtedly right about the fact that it is certainly not a micro-brew. Before coming to Beijing I spent twenty years in Seattle and some of those early micro-brews became regional brews over time. In regards to the Brits and the Continentals many have long been available here, with the lighter tasting Germans and Belgians perhaps more acceptable to the Chinese palate. I am picky, and I must say that it was a fresh and tasty IPA.
What about Chinese craft brews? Surely this will happen if you do not have them already.

OP
Lao Lu

Lao Lu

What about Chinese craft brews? Surely this will happen if you do not have them already.
There are several, a number of which I have yet to taste. Here in Beijing there are four I think; Stone was scheduled to open a new brewpub in March...but we all know what was happening then...they bailed and returned to the US. :( There is an American here who has three locations with some good brews: Slowboat Brewery. A few days ago I went to small place back in a hutong that just imports the very best on tap where I had a porter that placed in the top 10 at the world championships....it tasted like it was brewed from caramel...but in a good way, if you can imagine that....

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I just noticed on the can that "百威“, Budweiser, is the parent company, so you are undoubtedly right about the fact that it is certainly not a micro-brew.

Yeah, Anheuser-Busch InBev bought Goose Island (a Chicago-based brewery) in 2011. Although Goose Island was a fairly large brewery by that time. I don't know how much Anheuser-Busch has taken over recipes and/or operations, if at all. But I believe they replaced the head brewmaster when they bought Goose Island.

OP
Lao Lu

Lao Lu

Yeah, Anheuser-Busch InBev bought Goose Island (a Chicago-based brewery) in 2011. Although Goose Island was a fairly large brewery by that time. I don't know how much Anheuser-Busch has taken over recipes and/or operations, if at all. But I believe they replaced the head brewmaster when they bought Goose Island.
How does Goose Island match up to the competition back home? I have been here so long that I have lost track of the front runners other than Founders, whose Breakfast Stout I was able to get a case of a couple of years ago...I make it back to Seattle once every 3-4 years and the last time there I went to the Elysian near the baseball stadium...their Dragon Tooth Stout was excellent.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Was always a fan of their Honkers Ale, can't find it anymore, might have been discontinued, :(.
Craft brews have exploded in the U.S., I live in the Buffalo area of New York, seems like there's a new brewery opening every week.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
How does Goose Island match up to the competition back home? I have been here so long that I have lost track of the front runners other than Founders, whose Breakfast Stout I was able to get a case of a couple of years ago...I make it back to Seattle once every 3-4 years and the last time there I went to the Elysian near the baseball stadium...their Dragon Tooth Stout was excellent.

As @frogmeat69 mentioned, craft beer in the U.S. has grown exponentially. As an example: there was a major change in the beer distribution laws in Texas back in 2015 (I think). Since then Texas went from an OK number of breweries and brewpubs to this (and this is not a complete list):

1595366805827.png

[source: Texas Craft Brewers Guild]

A few of them are fairly large in terms of production / distribution like Real Ale or Live Oak. But the overwhelming majority are very small and distribute only locally or in state. Off the top of my head a few of the formerly small microbreweries in the U.S. that have grown and now distribute nationally -- much like Goose Island -- are:
So that's a long-winded way of trying to answer your question by saying: there's so much competition now that it's impossible to compare breweries. Basically -- for those that live in/near a city in the U.S. -- go out and try as much of the local beer as you can. So many great spots, so many great beers, and a lot of really friendly + interesting brewers that you can talk to. I'm currently not going out because of the coronoavirus epidemic but still trying / buying beers (via takeout) from several local places here in Austin, hoping they stay in business until we get past everything.

OP
Lao Lu

Lao Lu

LOL Goose Island craft brew....
Even a cursory glance at Rick Sanchez's informative post shows how profoundly the scale of craft-brewing has changed; however, as the attached ratings show, the beer in question is decent enough to be mistaken for a "micro-brew"...When I first came here eighteen years ago one could occasionally find a year-old bottle of Samuel Adams stored at room temperature on a grocery store shelf that tasted like it had been filtered through an old pair of tennis shoes.....That IPA was fresh and crisp...served alongside a beef stew made with organic spices from my wife's family farm down in Sichuan, it was absolutely delicious. More to the point, it was recently brewed in a city that a mere five months ago was cowering in fear and locked-down under quarantine...happily not the case today.

Attachments

• goose rating.jpg
    goose rating.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 91

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Was always a fan of their Honkers Ale, can't find it anymore, might have been discontinued, :(.
Craft brews have exploded in the U.S., I live in the Buffalo area of New York, seems like there's a new brewery opening every week.
Used to love me some Honkers. Easy drinking brew with a super balanced palate. Had the pleasure of living close to a bar that had it on cask! Have been searching for it for sooo long. I agree it might be discontinued =(

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even a cursory glance at Rick Sanchez's informative post shows how profoundly the scale of craft-brewing has changed; however, as the attached ratings show, the beer in question is decent enough to be mistaken for a "micro-brew"...When I first came here eighteen years ago one could occasionally find a year-old bottle of Samuel Adams stored at room temperature on a grocery store shelf that tasted like it had been filtered through an old pair of tennis shoes.....That IPA was fresh and crisp...served alongside a beef stew made with organic spices from my wife's family farm down in Sichuan, it was absolutely delicious. More to the point, it was recently brewed in a city that a mere five months ago was cowering in fear and locked-down under quarantine...happily not the case today.

Sorry, just don't consider the brands from AB Inbev to qualify. Could be an improvement over what was around I don't doubt, seeing where you are located.

OP
Lao Lu

Lao Lu

Sorry, just don't consider the brands from AB Inbev to qualify. Could be an improvement over what was around I don't doubt, seeing where you are located.
Yes, not a microbrew, but look at the label and you will see that it is 5.9%, and at 15.5 has a high specific gravity. In the Chinese is one more important detail: only a nine month shelf life. Almost all the imports here are allowed a year to eighteen months; so this beer was "flash" pasteurized (or perhaps unpasteurized) and as packaged on June the 1st bears as much resemblance to my grandfather's Pabst Blue Ribbon as a vintage 78 does to a 24/96 download. You are correct; no longer a "craft beer", but what to call it? A mass produced "traditional" beer? Are Sierra Nevada's nearly million annual barrels of beer now considered mediocre? As for "where I am located", if you had carefully read the thread you should have delved that exceptional beers (and brewpubs) are here: I would put Founder's Breakfast Stout up against anything in the world. In conclusion: a decent ale and a fitting celebration of Wuhan's return to normalcy.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
YYou are correct; no longer a "craft beer", but what to call it? A mass produced "traditional" beer? Are Sierra Nevada's nearly million annual barrels of beer now considered mediocre?

Exactly, that's the tricky part. When I lived in San Francisco I drank plenty of beer from Lagunitas (now owned by Heineken) and Anchor Brewing (now owned by Sapporo). These were craft breweries that got big then got bought. In my experience their revenues / distribution / ownership didn't change the quality of their beer: they kept the exact same recipes. And to some extent -- at least Lagunitas -- they still experiment with a new limited-run style from time to time. So it's not like anything about their beer has changed but at the same time I don't refer to them as "craft" breweries.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, that's the tricky part. When I lived in San Francisco I drank plenty of beer from Lagunitas (now owned by Heineken) and Anchor Brewing (now owned by Sapporo). These were craft breweries that got big then got bought. In my experience their revenues / distribution / ownership didn't change the quality of their beer: they kept the exact same recipes. And to some extent -- at least Lagunitas -- they still experiment with a new limited-run style from time to time. So it's not like anything about their beer has changed but at the same time I don't refer to them as "craft" breweries.
Just my opinion, but if the same brewers are allowed to offer their best, why is it no longer a "craft" beer?

OP
Lao Lu

Lao Lu

I have really lost track of all these...Anchor is owned by Sapporo? Weren't they one of the earliest of craft brewers? Their Porter and Liberty Ale were great back in the 80s....

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Anchor is owned by Sapporo?

Yep, they got bought out by Sapporo a few years ago. No idea if Sapporo has changed anything about the brewery / production / distribution.

I drank a lot of Anchor Steam when I lived in SF, but their Liberty Ale was great as well. Can't really find Anchor beers in Texas, sadly ...

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Just my opinion, but if the same brewers are allowed to offer their best, why is it no longer a "craft" beer?

I'm not arguing that it is no longer a craft beer. I was simply saying I don't refer to big (national distribution) breweries as "craft" breweries. That's only me though. Over time my definition of a "craft" brewery has come to mean a much smaller operation where I can walk into a tasting room and often times be able to talk to one of the brewers. My definition is not correct, it's just the way I think about it.

Top Bottom