• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon starts drone delivery of packages.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

What could go wrong?????

I wonder if it helps to put a net up in the yard to snag the package or would it snag the drone instead?

Will these fly under my porch so the package is not left out in the weather? (will drones fly in wet weather?)

I wonder if in the future you can do returns this way? (would seem efficient if they don't fly all the way back empty)

Will they open an Amazon Pizza to delivery hot pizzas this way? (and surely they will offer pineapple)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's going to be hilarious. What could go wrong? Drones and Americans with guns- that's what. Good ol' boys will be blasting them out of the sky! They'll be crashing in peoples backyard pools, landing on cars, being run over, caught in storm drains after thunderstorms. And injuries- did I say injuries?

GPS issues around >275kV power lines and they'll be dropping like stones. (ask anyone who flew within 50m of HV lines).

Wedge tail eagles and hawks over here would tear them apart. Drones are a favourite prey of some of our big birds.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
The privacy issues are going to be a long term hurdle. Assuming these little flying delivery trucks will be equipped with Audio and Video recording devices. Who and how will what they record be used/stored. I can see various outsiders wanting access to this data. Some good, some bad; traffic mgt, weather reporting, search and rescue, insurance companies, law enforcement, community associations. Like others have said “What could go wrong?”

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Looks like they will hover over your backyard at some distance up (safe height?) in the air and release the package. Nothing could go wrong there.

For these deliveries, the drone will fly to the designated delivery location, descend to the customer’s backyard, and hover at a safe height. It will then safely release the package and rise back up to altitude.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The problems will start with drones flying over other people's houses and properties. The people ordering chit from Amazon by drone will be arguing with their neighbours who want (and are entitled to) privacy and a lack of rotor noise over their roofs/backyards.

Kids in pools, naked sunbaking BBQs etc. I would not put up with it, that's for sure. But luckily, we're not in suburbia thank goodness.

JSmith

Master Contributor
All drones must report to the Amazon mother ship... like in Independence Day (1996);

190402-amazon2.jpg

Fun times ahead for some;

Me-keeping-an-eye-out-for-amazon-drones-to-get-some-free-loot-meme-1238.png

I hear Dogecoin are starting their own drone delivery service too;

ups-droge.jpg

No fate...

499c04afb46801122204d1bd760ec12c.jpg

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks like they will hover over your backyard at some distance up (safe height?) in the air and release the package. Nothing could go wrong there.

I can imagine Amir out in his backyard trying to catch the latest Topping DAC being dropped by a drone...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1655260021947.png

Search N388PA

Regulations...

Crash...

Amazon Prime Air Lawn Service

Last edited:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sincerely hope the entire drone strategy fails, and I'm an investor in Amazon. It is a stupid strategy. Hopefully many local governments will make drone delivery illegal in their jurisdictions.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually think this can work... but only in rural and suburban communities (and maybe small towns) where the overwhelming majority of people live in fully-detached homes with decent-sized backyards. In cities this would be a nightmare to try to implement.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe SpaceX will have a giga distribution center and offer 30 minute sub-oribital delivery world wide.
Interesting thought...many space-race and military inventions eventually trickled down to the public. ABS, microwave generators, GPS, to name just a few.

What if hypersonic craft (think DARPA) in 50 years are used for expedited worldwide delivery. You'll get that 30-minute package to your island beach house...at a cost.

D

Deleted member 47224

I'm hoping UE will see to it that it does not happen over here. We have enough noisy contraptions in town and in the countryside, don't need an army of them. Plus, in my opinion, it will only encourage people to buy more stuff they probably don't need all the while feeding an already way too powerful company.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let us hope they don't deliver Blue Sky with drones.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually think this can work... but only in rural and suburban communities (and maybe small towns) where the overwhelming majority of people live in fully-detached homes with decent-sized backyards. In cities this would be a nightmare to try to implement.
Rural deliveries have the highest costs - In some cases it can take one driver an entire day to deliver one package.
So anything that saves the carrier money there makes sense. I suspect using it to deliver in a city it would be more trouble than its worth.

Top Bottom