• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon So Called HD Music

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Vanbouzin your last screenshot shows "Device capability:24/48".
Your configuration seems correct but did you configure your AVR in direct/straight mode?
If you engage any dsp channel processing then the input bitrate of the AVR is limited to 48khz for most AVRs.

diyaudnut

I find frustrating the fact that Amazon music desktop app let's widows resample the stream. The App does not offer a bit perfect path to the DAC even if the DAC offers ASIO driver.
What's the point of an HD music stream if it gets mucked around by the OS sound mixer. Might not really be an audible problem... but don't see why a purported UHD music stream can't be kept intact to the DAC.

Vanboozin

Vanbouzin your last screenshot shows "Device capability:24/48".
Your configuration seems correct but did you configure your AVR in direct/straight mode?
If you engage any dsp channel processing then the input bitrate of the AVR is limited to 48khz for most AVRs.

On my AVR i tried "2 Channel Stereo" 1st ( 2.0 no subwoofer ) that was receiving a 48khz signal , not sure what the bitrate was but assuming 24.
Then I tried "Straight", AVR still showed a 48khz signal .

Then I tried "Pure Direct" , I cannot see the signal AVR is receiving since the on screen menu etc is shut down, however on Amazon Music it still said device capabilty was 24/48.
I will be patient & see if there is another firmware yet to be installed, and try to update the Music app.

For tonight i found myself back in the Beelink Amazon music app, its so much more usable, can play On or Offline, Add, Remove , Download , Create & Edit playlists....next to the windows app i like this best.
But if i can get a better stream from the Fire TV i'll listen that way, if not I want my money back i didnt like what i saw so far on the fire tv, im used to the Shield tv and android boxes with on screen pointers.

I'll sift through my AVR settings to see if i can find anything messin me up, after all it is new to me so who knows.

Last edited:

valerianf

It is strange that your AVR is not detected with a better samplerate than 48khz.
Did you try to hard reset (power off/on) the stick?
I agree that the Amazon app. User interface is crap.

Vanboozin

It is strange that your AVR is not detected with a better samplerate than 48khz.
Did you try to hard reset (power off/on) the stick?
I agree that the Amazon app. User interface is crap.

Its the Amazon app thinking the device is only capable of 24/48, I noticed this when using a different android box sending the signal to a Topping D10 Dac capable of much higher bit and sample rates than amazon could provide, yet the app reported my Topping D10 only capable of 24/192 ????
I suspect the app just checks if the device is capable of decoding amazons highest bitrate of 24/192 & doesnt care about anything higher ( so it just sorta reports "yes this device can handle my highest quality file" )
Seems the app version and firmware play a role what it reports back for device capability...

AVR is setup good.
I did get another Fire TV firmware this morning & it now reports "Device Capable" of 24/192 lol.

The Good:
AVR is now recieving 24/192 from Fire TV Amazon App.

The Bad:
No matter what quality file i play ( 16/44.1 or 24/96 ) the Dam Fire Tv outputs it at 24/192 for Petes Sake !!!.
( my shield tv will do this, although i have the option of 16/44.1 or 24/192 over USB )

I wonder if anybody is manufacturing a device that with simply output the track quality AS IS with No processing ?

Fire TV going back for a refund

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-114528_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-114528_Gallery.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20210119-114515_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-114515_Gallery.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

valerianf

How is sounding the 24/192 directly connected to the AVR?
In my system it is lacking some low frequencies, but it may come from my equipment.

I kept the stick because I am listening music in DD+ that gives a satisfying result using the AVR dsp.

Vanboozin

I'll check when i get home from work.
Obviously wasnt cranking anything thing up early this morning.

Vanboozin

How is sounding the 24/192 directly connected to the AVR?
In my system it is lacking some low frequencies, but it may come from my equipment.

I played about a half dozen songs with decent bass, there was none, well it seemed like none, next to none thats for sure. So i checked my settings to see what was up ?
everything in my Avr right where i left it, songs playing but with next to 0 low frequency ?
I changed AVR input to my Nas and played Africa Bamaba by Santana ( the last song playing on the Fire Stick ) which is a 16/44.1 track by the way, it nearly blew me off my chair i had to turn down the volume bigtime....
Speakers are good, AVR good, Track good, Volume good & Bass Good.( Pure Direct or Pure Direct Off in 2 Channel all dsp off ).

Switched back to Fire Stick, checked audio settings, i had it set to "best available " so changed to "Stereo", went to Amazon app & it would not open, seemed like it locked up the firestick, once back to desktop tried again, same Gray screen. So i restarted the stick, went to playlist, found Africa Bamba & hit play, I have bass back was the first thing i noticed, i to settings & tried "best available"
seems identical as stereo mode , good but changings that setting while listening crashes the music app.

So you answer your question it doesnt sound any different to me now that my AVR is getting 192 vs a 48khz sampling rate .
But whatever was going on when i first got home was totally lacking low frequency until the reboot.

Other than that the volume on the fire stick is much lower that playing a local file from my Nas.

I dont like the interface much and its not doing anything my other hardware isnt, in fact its doing less, not passing DTS is a deal breaker for me, the Amazom music app is very limited as well , all it can do is play online.
So its getting a factory reset and back to the store.

valerianf

Thank you Vanboozin for your tests.
Similar to you the first time, I do not have any low frequencies with the 192khz sample rate.
From your experience I understand that I have to power off/on the stick one more time.
I will test that when back at home, in February.

Music1969

Major Contributor
On their desktop apps they introduced 'Exclusive Mode' 12 months ago.

But still after 12 months this 'Exclusive Mode' still isn't working properly.

Pathetic !

And still only available in 4 countries. Granted these are the 4 biggest markets (makes sense to start with that) but I would have liked to see expansion by now, for such a big company.

Vanboozin

Guys
I just discovered something pretty sweet.
After packing up the Fire Stick i tried my Nvidia Shield TV again ( i have the 2 yrs ago model not the newer one with fancy remote.
My shield has 2 USB ports, 1 is occupied with a samsung 256 GB thumb drive and formatted to act as "Internal Storage" so that one lives there constantly. the other port i use for manually installing apps or USB out to audio Dac ( before i got this new Yamaha 2080 ) , i would have to choose 24/192 or 16/44.1 as mentioned earlier in the thread....
Other than that i have used a usb dongle for a cordless keyboard and mouse mainly for the web.

Since i like the android version of the Amazon music app i decided to side load it onto the shield, this version of the app requires keyboard and mouse or you will find yourself in a corner of the app & not be able to get yourself out, but i was wondering how am i gonna use my keyboard dongle and output Audio over usb with only 1 port available ?
Well when i turned my shield on there was an update available to me , mostly for games and sone Denon AVR functionality + bug fixes. So while that updated i downloaded this apk.
https://m.apkpure.com/amazon-music-stream-and-discover-songs-podcasts/com.amazon.mp3/download

I put the Music app apk on a thumb drive and installed it onto the shield, removed the thumb drive, plugged in the keyboard & mouse dongle & logged into Amazon music app and played a song....WOW i thought "That Sounds Deadly !!"
after checking my volume and AVR settings i quickly realized the shield is now sending 24/192 over HDMI by default ( i never changed a thing on the shield ) But it is Infinately LOUDER than the firestick at the same volume with a FULL range of crystal clear goodness. I was and am really surprised how good this sounds, its fixed at 24/192 no matter the song quality but i could care less its awesome....

Funny how the app name ends with .mp3

If you have a shield i would definately recommend the update and side loading this app..i know have 2 versions of the app but the full blown Android app is the one to use.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-191925_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-191925_Gallery.jpg
    940.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20210119-191856_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-191856_Gallery.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210119_193819.jpg
    20210119_193819.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20210119-114528_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210119-114528_Gallery.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210119_191128.jpg
    20210119_191128.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210119_191200.jpg
    20210119_191200.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 67

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Ooooo theres been a update.
My nexus 5 is now showing 24bit/192khz capable over usb :D:D:D:D
20210121_141845.jpg

Edit : lgv30+ still shows only 24/48 capable over headphones :rolleyes: Don't have a otg usb for it to check if it would do full capability over usb out.

Vanboozin

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I signed up a few days ago for AMZN HD and so far I dig it. Am getting 24/192 no problem.

valerianf

Same for me:Amazon HD 24/192 or DD+

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Ooooo theres been a update.
My nexus 5 is now showing 24bit/192khz capable over usb :D:D:D:D
View attachment 107542
Edit : lgv30+ still shows only 24/48 capable over headphones :rolleyes: Don't have a otg usb for it to check if it would do full capability over usb out.
The track is 24/48 if was 24/192 it would stream 24/192 because that's your phone capability.

Top Bottom