• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon So Called HD Music

Obiden

Amazon says their HD music is 24/96 but my iPhone can't do 24/96 it's limited to 48. Why I am paying extra cash for Hi-Rez audio.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Amazon says their HD music is 24/96 but my iPhone can't do 24/96 it's limited to 48. Why I am paying extra cash for Hi-Rez audio.
Yeah it seems to be a limitation of android too. Its annoying from a I'm not getting what i paid for perspective. However I realised that it's kinda irrelevant as my hearing is done by around 17khz anyway on a good day. So extra bandwidth beyond 22khz is really a non-issue. It's a shame usb player pro hasnt got it covered yet. You can use it to force andriod to stream at full quality with qobuz and tidal. At least thats what it claims.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
The limitations on the mobile side shouldn't detract from the excellent desktop experience I've had subjectively. Even if it's only CD quality on the mobile app, it's still way better than the 256/320kbps compressed files you typically get

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
TLDR-Amazon HD is useful upgrade over their free tier.

My experience with Amazon music was that some tracks on the free service (free if you’re an Amazon Prime member) were terrible quality. Not all, but a few were noticeably and unlistenably poor. I’ve conducted the blind tests comparing different streaming quality so I know that I should not be able to tell a difference—this tells me there was an actual problem. I found upgrading to Amazon HD solved this problem. I also did a one month comparison between Amazon HD and Qobuz and found no difference in quality.

If you’re only listening on your iPhone then you won’t be getting the most out of any streaming service’s top tier quality. You shouldn’t be able to hear a difference by upgrading to lossless or whatever anyway, but sometimes you can and that made it worthwhile to me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it seems to be a limitation of android too. Its annoying from a I'm not getting what i paid for perspective. However I realised that it's kinda irrelevant as my hearing is done by around 17khz anyway on a good day. So extra bandwidth beyond 22khz is really a non-issue. It's a shame usb player pro hasnt got it covered yet. You can use it to force andriod to stream at full quality with qobuz and tidal. At least thats what it claims.

USB audio player pro has indeed got you covered for Tidal (MQA up to 96khz) and Qobuz (might again be up to 96) and local files. DACs report those rates being sent. If your DAC has a Hi Res DAC chip it can also send those rates to that then out to 3.5mm socket.

The limits and forced conversion of IOS and Android native (as well as the volume limits) are a real PITA.

OP
Obiden

Obiden

I got a yr subscription to Sirius XM for $50 which includes music in the car iPhone & pc at home. Amazon a yr sub is $79 with Prime.

OP
Obiden

Obiden

My Onkyo 696 receiver does Hi-Rez but I have to get the App through iPhone, but again that defeats the purpose of downgrading to 48, no?.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

It's not exactly an Android limitation, it's an implementation issue. My LG phones will playback 24/96 using USB Audio Player Pro but unfortunately Amazon is not compatible at this juncture.No problem with Qobuz.

Taddpole

Well technically their so called HD is 16/44, so you are well above that.

But yeah their uhd music does seem to rather tricky to get at the highest levels.

Mind you if you think it's bad through phones try and work out how you'd stream it to home receiver or avr. Think they should admit this is pretty much beta stage.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well technically their so called HD is 16/44, so you are well above that.

But yeah their uhd music does seem to rather tricky to get at the highest levels.

Mind you if you think it's bad through phones try and work out how you'd stream it to home receiver or avr. Think they should admit this is pretty much beta stage.
My TAD DAC that I stream to via my phone says 96 when on the old Amazon HD . To my ears it's better than my CDs, mainly that's due to the EQ I can administer in the player .

OP
Obiden

Obiden

My TAD DAC that I stream to via my phone says 96 when on the old Amazon HD . To my ears it's better than my CDs, mainly that's due to the EQ I can administer in the player .
You are an amazing person.

Taddpole

I'd been looking for a standalone streamer to do the job but yeah does look like a phone might be best option currently for reasonable price.

Tatteredmidnight

I have no complaints about the quality of the stream, HD/UHD do seem slightly better than Spotify premium. Their app on the other hand is really poor. It’s bad enough that I may not continue my subscription after the free trial period is over. I did manage to get it working with my Klipsch PowerGate, but the setup was very convoluted, requiring Alexa, a third party Alexa add-in, and authorizing the steaming endpoint. Compared to Spotify connect, it is leagues behind, very disappointing.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For background music, I have been fine with Google music. I am unable to tell the difference with CD quality. I tried Amazon HD for a couple of months but got annoyed with the app's user interface so switched back to Google's paid service. Now Google is making me switch to youtube music and that app is total garbage. So frustrating dealing with these proprietary ecosystems. Maybe I should sell all my audio gear and listen to FM radio or just sing to myself :facepalm:

BS Audio power conditioner
LOL!

Top Bottom