• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Music to Mac Mini will not play above 24/48kHz - any trouble shooting tips?

OP
Jaimo

Jaimo

Yeah, that old Intel MacBook is a jalopy compared the the M1. It's amazing how far Apple silicon has advanced in just a few years.
I use a M1 based MacBook Air for note taking. The MB sits next to my work issued Lenovo i7 laptop. Although the Lenovo is a great machine by PC standards, it is nowhere near the MB in terms of quality of build and ease of use. My family's Apple computers tend to outlast our PC's easily with twice the useful life of the many Dell, Acer and Asus machines we've had.

My Mac-mini music / movie player is almost 10 years old and shows no signs of ageing whatsoever.

Zensō

Major Contributor
So what price convenience? So far I hear no discernible difference in sound quality with Sound Check enabled.

I guess, theoretically, Sound Check could raise the noise floor a bit, but I can’t imagine it would do so to an audible level. The more important question, I think, is whether or not it’s effective. I’ve found that in some cases it actually seems to increase volume discrepancies instead of reducing them, as if it’s over compensating. After experiencing this a few times I’ve mostly left it turned off. It has been a while though; I should probably give it another try.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess, theoretically, Sound Check could raise the noise floor a bit, but I can’t imagine it would do so to an audible level. The more important question, I think, is whether or not it’s effective. I’ve found that in some cases it actually seems to increase volume discrepancies instead of reducing them, as if it’s over compensating. After experiencing this a few times I’ve mostly left it turned off. It has been a while though; I should probably give it another try.

Thanks! And yes, Sound Check is notorious for using a crappy algorithm to normalize the volume between different albums/tracks. That's why I use iVolume, as it replaces the default Sound Check volume adjustments with ReplayGain ones, which are more accurate/perceptually sensible.

Top Bottom