• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon music on yamaha network receiver

Paspolc

Hello everyone,
I will preface this by saying that I am not an audiophile, although I would like to be, I have only set up a modest 2.1 stereo system thanks in part to suggestions received here in the group, especially thanks to Amir's reviews.

I'll make it very short : I use this Amazon music unlimited subscription either from the app on my phone by streaming with chromecast to the receiver, or from the app on my laptop with usb cable connected to the dac, or from the app on the TV connected to the dac with coaxial cable.

Could you tell me which of these three methods conveys better quality of music, assuming Amazon music is acceptable quality, but that's enough for me.?

Thanks to anyone who wants to answer me.
Pasquale

antcollinet

Master Contributor
They should all be equivalent. Most suspect would be the TV app, since TV's are not audio focussed and may be doing un necessary processing.

Chromecast or DAC should be as good as you can get.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Why don't you try Toslink or coaxial from TV to the R-N803 so that you use it's embedded DAC? I don't know which standalone DAC you have but if it has the optical out you should try that way (Toslink out from DAC to input on Yamaha). Only reason mentioning this is because analog inputs on (such) Yamaha rated at 100 dB aren't that great in combination with high gain if you ever use it like that in the first place. Toslink should be preference from the two as it also eliminate any possibility of ground loop.

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

I correct myself, tv is connected to the dac by toslink cable, i just checked after Zolalll answer.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amazon's service is pretty good - I like it and the quality is up there with anything else out there.

As others have said, your solutions should be the same. Is Chromecast hi-res? I'm not familiar with it.
Also worthwhile considering is the WiiM mini just because it works well with Amazon (not much else does) ... but really no need to add anything to what you have.

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

Thanks to all.

Top Bottom