• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Music HD

SKBubba

Hmm, my version shows to be 7.10.1.2195, despite having done the update it prompted me to do. Perhaps in order to get v7.11, I will have to uninstall my app and reinstall it. I previously had to do that in order to get the newest version.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times over the past week or so. I'm still getting version 7.10.something. This is on Windows.

jambaj0e

I can confirm that Exclusive Mode is here, but only as a rolling update, not everyone's getting it at the same time. Strangely, even though it is DEFINITELY Exclusive mode, meaning I can't play anything or control anything for my Qutest outside of Amazon Music HD when Exclusive Mode is on, bit-perfect is not enabled, so I'm guessing it tells the DAC to upsample to whatever you have set for bit and rate when you turn on Exclusive Mode. In my case, that'd be 24-bit 192Khz

Attachments

• Amazon Music HD 00.JPG
    Amazon Music HD 00.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Amazon Music HD 03.JPG
    Amazon Music HD 03.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Amazon Music HD 02.JPG
    Amazon Music HD 02.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Amazon Music HD 01.JPG
    Amazon Music HD 01.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Amazon Music HD 04.JPG
    Amazon Music HD 04.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 175

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can confirm that Exclusive Mode is here, but only as a rolling update, not everyone's getting it at the same time. Strangely, even though it is DEFINITELY Exclusive mode, meaning I can't play anything or control anything for my Qutest outside of Amazon Music HD when Exclusive Mode is on, bit-perfect is not enabled, so I'm guessing it tells the DAC to upsample to whatever you have set for bit and rate when you turn on Exclusive Mode. In my case, that'd be 24-bit 192Khz
Are you getting this on mac? All I can get on my pc laptop is version 7.10.

MarcT

Forum Donor

Ratatoskr

So it is not really true Exclusive mode if upsampling, just a marketing gimmick from Amazon (look! we have exclusive mode now). I dropped it months ago for Qobuz.

MarcT

Forum Donor
The app finally tonight indicated an update was available. So I now have version 7.11. And the windows app does have the icon for "Available Devices". So I selected my DAC and also checked "Exclusive Mode". I'm now listening to Shostakovich Symphony 5 in 24/192, but I can't say the sound is any different. Also, in exclusive mode, the in-app volume control is disabled. Still sounds good to me.

MarcT

Forum Donor
And I also found that the exclusive mode does prevent other applications, such as YouTube within a browser, from outputting audio. To get audio from the browser page, I have to disable Amazon exclusive mode and refresh the browser page.

T.J. Turner

And I also found that the exclusive mode does prevent other applications, such as YouTube within a browser, from outputting audio. To get audio from the browser page, I have to disable Amazon exclusive mode and refresh the browser page.

Well, you want to use Exclusive mode this way., set Amazon to output to your external DAC and have all other audio route to a different output such as your internal sound card. This way you can use Amazon Music and other PC audio at the same time. Also the Volume is disabled because the volume should be controlled by your external amp, and not go through any Windows processing. But that leads to the big problem...I'm really glad Amazon introduced these features, but I'm baffled as to why bit perfect is not supported and the Kmixer is still being used. What example are they following? They are either trolling us with this update or they really don't get it!

MarcT

Forum Donor
Just got email from Amazon announcing "Ultra HD Exclusives".

From the email:

"Only with Amazon Music HD, you can now stream a selection of the world's most legendary albums in Ultra HD. Hear all the depth, richness, and detail of your favorite songs, now in better-than-CD quality."

The email shows albums such as Lady Gaga-Joanne and Ariana Grande-Yours Truly. I'll check it out.

Now listening to Sarah Vaughan-Sarah Vaughan from 1953 in 24/96. This is one of their Ultra HD Exclusive titles, sounds great to me. Qubuz shows it available in 16/44.1, not sure about Tidal.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I've signed up yet again to Amazon Music in order to experience this HD/Ultra HD upgrade.

I've cancelled after a few hours of listening. Whatever sonic benefits there are, the lack of ability to remotely control the Windows desktop app (for my HTPC) and the slow and crappy ancient-looking user-interface environment makes this a no go for me.

*I'm hopeful that Amazon eventually adds-in support for 5.1 surround at least later this year or early next year not just for their Amazon Music Windows desktop app, but also for their Prime Video app. As it stands, the service(s) they have on offer is not compelling to me.

T.J. Turner

I've signed up yet again to Amazon Music in order to experience this HD/Ultra HD upgrade.

I've cancelled after a few hours of listening. Whatever sonic benefits there are, the lack of ability to remotely control the Windows desktop app (for my HTPC) and the slow and crappy ancient-looking user-interface environment makes this a no go for me.

*I'm hopeful that Amazon eventually adds-in support for 5.1 surround at least later this year or early next year not just for their Amazon Music Windows desktop app, but also for their Prime Video app. As it stands, the service(s) they have on offer is not compelling to me.

LOL,
Um which of the other desktop apps for hi res streaming use remote playback? I have Qobuz and I know that one doesn't, and neither did Tidal or Deezer when I had them. What did you cancel it in favor of?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
LOL,
Um which of the other desktop apps for hi res streaming use remote playback? I have Qobuz and I know that one doesn't, and neither did Tidal or Deezer when I had them. What did you cancel it in favor of?

I am not specifically interested in hi-res music per se — that alone is not enough a reason/qualifier to subscribe to a streaming service, IMO. Although I do listen to lossless audio using JRiver and Blu-ray discs. I also use Spotify premium which at least can be remotely controlled.

I stated clearly the reason why I chose to cancel, but I don’t expect anyone to have to agree with my own personal assessment.

SKBubba

I am not specifically interested in hi-res music per se — that alone is not enough a reason/qualifier to subscribe to a streaming service, IMO. Although I do listen to lossless audio using JRiver and Blu-ray discs. I also use Spotify premium which at least can be remotely controlled.

I stated clearly the reason why I chose to cancel, but I don’t expect anyone to have to agree with my own personal assessment.

Maybe you should look into roon plus Tidal or Qobuz.

JW001

But what a huge selection of music they have to offer! The UI from Amazon will never be great, but I am happy I can listen to any music I want in CD quality.

A.West

Forum Donor
My main complaint is I cannot screen for ultra HD music as an advanced search for music. But HD is good enough. A well recorded HD recording beats a poorly recorded ultra HD track. I listen to a lot of classical, wish they had smarter searches.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Maybe you should look into roon plus Tidal or Qobuz.

I haven't ever used Qobuz -- I believe quite a number of artists I listen to aren't going to be found there anyway. As for Tidal, it was a hell of lot better experience.

Also... Amazon pre-made playlists are also just... meh.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I did some further tests today and discovered that one can indeed cast from the phone to a PC with the Amazon Alexa 'spybot' app installed. Unfortunately, only the Alexa app is controlled remotely and the Music app doesn't work with the phone/tablet. There is no indication of whether one is truly playing losslessly -- my suspicion is it isn't. Another problem I've encountered is that hashy noise plays out every now and again. Either the application has to be restarted, or the sampling rate has be changed -- probably the connection to the DAC just needs to be reset every so often. Amazon really needs to work on all of their Windows apps.

Top Bottom