• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Music HD & Firestick 4K

tparm

Forum Donor
I see Amazon has joined Qobuz in Sonos 24 bit capability, but Sonos also will playback Atmos tracks with Amazon, something Qobuz can’t do. I also see the new Firestick will playback files up to 24/192.

Does anyone know if the stick will playback Atmos music tracks via Amazon Music?

Thanks.

BN1

I'm only about 4 weeks into a new Amazon Music HD subscription using a Firestick 4k plugged into my Yamaha avr. I get 24/192 but no signs of Atmos & 360 to date. Amazon Atmos/360 limited to a few Sonus products for now ?

OP
T

tparm

Forum Donor
I'm only about 4 weeks into a new Amazon Music HD subscription using a Firestick 4k plugged into my Yamaha avr. I get 24/192 but no signs of Atmos & 360 to date. Amazon Atmos/360 limited to a few Sonus products for now ?
That is correct, no Atmos or 360 support on any sticks including the new 4K Max. I was on chat with Amazon for hours yesterday. My stick isn’t playing back in 24 bit either even when that option is selected. You can click over to the “i” and it’ll display the playback info, mine shows track is native 24/192 and it’s playing back at 16/192 and the device capability is 16/192. My stick is plugged into an AVM 70. Lastly, it appears it upscales everything to 192kHz so it isn’t bit perfect. I was hoping for a single solution with the 4K Max and Amazon Music HD, not to be.

BN1

Not surprised, Amazon seems to have a disconnect between the hardware they offer and the A/V service. Did not know about the upscaling but I am impressed with the sound quality of AMHD (coming from low bitrate on Spotify free)

OP
T

tparm

Forum Donor
Not surprised, Amazon seems to have a disconnect between the hardware they offer and the A/V service. Did not know about the upscaling but I am impressed with the sound quality of AMHD (coming from low bitrate on Spotify free)
Have you confirmed 24 bit playback by looking at AVR or output info on AMHD? I like AMHD but disappointed in the stick.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I see Amazon has joined Qobuz in Sonos 24 bit capability, but Sonos also will playback Atmos tracks with Amazon, something Qobuz can’t do. I also see the new Firestick will playback files up to 24/192.

Does anyone know if the stick will playback Atmos music tracks via Amazon Music?

Thanks.
which new firesticks do this?

garbulky

Major Contributor
According to Amazon CS yesterday no Fire TV devices will playback Atmos or 360 tracks.
Sorry I meant which ones does the 192 khz for amazon music HD. I have a way to get the HDMI in to SPDIF so I can use my 2 channel DAC. But I didn't know which devices supported the high res stuff digitally.

OP
T

tparm

Forum Donor
Sorry I meant which ones does the 192 khz for amazon music HD. I have a way to get the HDMI in to SPDIF so I can use my 2 channel DAC. But I didn't know which devices supported the high res stuff digitally.
the 2021 4K and 4K Max sticks will playback at 192 kHz, but it is debatable if at 16 or 24 bits (which to me is the much more important number). Also, as mentioned it is not bit-perfect.

BN1

the 2021 4K and 4K Max sticks will playback at 192 kHz, but it is debatable if at 16 or 24 bits (which to me is the much more important number). Also, as mentioned it is not bit-perfect.
AMHD indicates 24/192 on track, device, and playing. FLAC. AVR indicates PCM at 192 but bitrate is --- (ie blank). AVR is Yam RX-A660 which specs say is 24/192 capable.

OP
T

tparm

Forum Donor
AMHD indicates 24/192 on track, device, and playing. FLAC. AVR indicates PCM at 192 but bitrate is --- (ie blank). AVR is Yam RX-A660 which specs say is 24/192 capable.
Thanks. Now my stick in the living room that’s hooked to my TV and Sonos Arc based system is saying it’s playing back at 24. So strange. I’ll hook my Max back up to main system and see if I can trouble shoot that one. If so and they ever add Atmos Music in the mix on the Stick that would be amazing.

Music1969

Major Contributor
If so and they ever add Atmos Music in the mix on the Stick that would be amazing.
Any updates?

Atmos has been available on Amazon Music UHD for so long now - is there still no way to play it with an Atmos AVR speaker system ?

What are they waiting for ! Boggles the mind

Top Bottom